Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cinch points to pull the 2.5L engine

98 outback

I avoid pulling an engine whenever possible

But i have to change that dang separator plate on a car I am flipping (THIS PLATE MAY BE THE SECOND WORSE DESIGN PROBLEM OF THIS ERA SOOB...next to the #1 HEADGASKET debacle)

I've grabbed the intake manifold with straps before as there are no obvous hooks to grab....manifold is not the best route for sure

Where does everyone else tie up to?

Also...does anyone have any extra car fax reports they could run for me?

One I came up with at the junkyard about 10 years ago after I forgot a chain. :) I go all the way around the heads if possible but if you are at home with a chain use the Alt/AC bracket, it should have a hole through it, and as stated before the Right Rear above the bellhousing bolt opposite the starter.

You can always take a bolt and a washer and thread it thru a hole on the chain and torque the bolt down.

I bolt the "balance beam" on the cherry picker to the alt bracket and there is a loop IIR back by #3 cylinder where the engine meets the trans.

Seal belts are great. That's what JY's around here use. I use them a lot but when trying to adjust the angle of the engine when going back in I like the beam.

I use a clevus(sp?) at each end (sometimes they are tight on the alt bracket) to attach the engine to the chain.

Edited by davebugs

damn everyone has that bracket but me.. all the other subaurs I had had it but I'm thinking the last person who owned the car removed it when they changed the alternator thinking it' was a wasted piece of metal?

Not the one on the front of the bolt, the one on the center of the bracket. Look from the left or right fender side across the top of the bracket.