Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this little box?

When I was installing my intake manifold and connecting vacuum lines I accidently broke off a small section of hose that has a one way check valve on it, that went to a small (1.5 inch square) box that has two wires to it. I

Curios what it is and if I might be able to use one off an 85/86 intake where as mine is an 87? Or could I carefully glue the nipple fitting back on and call it good? Here are some pics.. The best I could get for now sorry

8e00002b.jpg

a233b5be.jpg

So I was able to get a couple better pictures of the solenoid box. It has two hoses on it and two wires coming off it. I was able to glue it back together seems to be an ok fix. What does it do? If it breaks loose again while im driving will it die or run rich/lean? Does anyone have a part number or exact name for it? Thank you

c17b9e14.jpg

e40a8e03.jpg

It should not effect drivability. The EGR system only operates in low load situations anyways. worst thing that could happen is with it not connected, the EGR wouldn't open and it would fail emissions testing. It should be fixed but it won't leave you stranded or anything like that

So I was able to get a couple better pictures of the solenoid box. It has two hoses on it and two wires coming off it. I was able to glue it back together seems to be an ok fix. What does it do? If it breaks loose again while im driving will it die or run rich/lean? Does anyone have a part number or exact name for it? Thank you

It controls the EGR valve by controlling the vacuum supply.

If it breaks loose again,engine will be lean and may ping because of the inoperative EGR/leanness.

(Plug the vac lines to cure the vac leak))

Need car details for a part #.

hey, my car has this same problem. the exact same part your talking about. its broke off on mine too. guess im gonnna have to find a new one. i bet thats what keeps setting off the check engine light on my dash. well, at least i know its not gonna hurt anything now.

but also, there seems to be 2 of these not very far apart. whats the other one for?

It's an 87 gl-10 with the ea82t.

I feels like I should just replace it asap so I dont run into issues down the road. Thanks for the help and the part number now that I filled you in on the car details . -matt

14774 AA020 I think.Doesn`t look like a good # anymore.

Yeah I have both of those two solenoids close togeter also, the other has a little snorkel lookin thing off one side, that's the 4wd engagement one that The Loyal was speaking of. My car is a push button 5 speed. I'm hoping to get my engine installed in the next couple days so I'll see if my patch of the egr solenoid worked for now. If I venture to the dealership I'll try to have them look up that part number and post it up here for you SB.

Edited by Matthewboerner
Grammer

You can also, with a little work, adapt more durable solenoids from other vehicles. The "original" (AFAIK) person who suggested this (DaveT) said that you could use Toyota solenoids, and a later contributor (91Loyale) said that many of the EFI cars from the 80's will likely have something that works.

http://home.comcast.net/~davidtief/solenoid.htm

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93243

• 1 month later...
I've heard it being called the "EGR Purge Solenoid" you have the dealer look at the EGR system for the EA82 and it'll bring it up on the screen.

You can bypass it with a (33ohm resister) I think its 33ohm. Anyone else have a refresher?

Did anyone have more info on "theloyal"s thought? Mine solinoid vac line is still not connected but no CEL, now that it is running. Should I just leave it alone? Or attempt to source one from A JY? Bypass? Early thanks!

Danny88gl - I would check look at your and see if its disconnected or damaged, they are very fragile so be careful.

Thanks

• 2 years later...