Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 4wd front axles EMPI?

After doing a bunch of reading..... it sounds like EMPI is one of the only MFGs that actually make decent NEW axles for us.

Can somebody confirm the part numbers though?

EMPI 80-5515

Is this the correct axle for my '84 GL wagon 4wd?

Most listings Ive found say that it is correct, and others say it is FWD specific.

Thanks for any help:)

OP Parts is another company that makes new axles as well for EA81's.

A local import parts store near me used to sell EMPI's. But switched to the OP Parts ones due to too many failures the past year. (what they told me)

I had bought two of them (EMPIs) and the DOJs would blow up before the warranty was out. So though inconvenient, at least it was like lifetime free axles. :rolleyes:

But I noticed the boots rotted fast as well. Only got a year out of the last set before the boots fell apart.

The OP axles seem to have longer thicker boots. Only had them a couple months so I'm not sure about long term yet.

I have read about the lifetime EMPI warranty, but ALL of the listings I find for them online show nothing more than a 12month warranty.

And in my experiences with other CV driven rigs, it is typically a boot failure that warrants a replacement. Is this typically the case with an EA81 Subaru?

ShawnW, thanks for the offer. But Id rather not deal with a rebuilt at this point. Im looking to replace both fronts right now with NEW hardware, with the intent to reboot the OEM ones I have right now, and have them on hand when I need to swap again. Then when I swap, Ill reboot the new ones, and repeat!

What are the OP Parts axles? Are they available online? I cannot find a single site that lists them.

ShawnW, thanks for the offer. But Id rather not deal with a rebuilt at this point. Im looking to replace both fronts right now with NEW hardware, with the intent to reboot the OEM ones I have right now,

MWE is highly regarded as the best axle solution besides subaru. anything else is a waste of time in my opinion and experience. They do top notch work. MWE is far superior than aftermarket "new" junk.

Rebooting original Subaru axles is a great option.

OP Parts is another company that makes new axles as well for EA81's.

A local import parts store near me used to sell EMPI's. But switched to the OP Parts ones due to too many failures the past year. (what they told me)

I am also interested in these OP axles. You have anymore information??

My EMPI axles only had a 9 month warranty.

As for info on the OP Parts axles. I can't find any either. The boxes don't have any web addys or anything.

I got them from Discount Import Parts in Milwaukie, OR. (Just south of Portland)

they were the same price as the EMPI axles. About $70-$80 each.

What a jerk off! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your so helpful.................

when people grow up enough to learn how to "look" around themselves,you know, to find a ************ing website....maybe i won't be such a wongleflute.......:grin:

use emoticons,

it helps me know if you really think that , or if you are laughing at what i say.....:rolleyes:

when people grow up enough to learn how to "look" around themselves,you know, to find a ************ing website....maybe i won't be such a wongleflute.......:grin:

So you are assuming that EVERY MFG has the correct listing for EVERY part in their systems?

Well that's intelligent! <------------- thats sarcasm

Actually, its more naive than anything.

Sort of like assuming a forum is for searching, rather than posting.

If that is the case, then we might at well take down the entire forum and put up a database for people to search through. No posting needed.

except i KNOW that empi has the proper listing junior.otherwise i would not have posted it.becuase i looked up there catalog . a long time ago.when i needed axles.and called them .you know, like people used to do before these here interwebs......

i didna say everyone.i said EMPI.

i didna say anyhting about searching this site, but if you did, you would have found 50 posts regarding EMPI axles,their listings , and quality...as well as personal experience...

DOH!i'am not telling you anything that is new!it is proven right , many times.now their quality is another thing........

oh, and don't burn a bridge before you get to it.;)

cheers, b

So you are assuming that EVERY MFG has the correct listing for EVERY part in their systems?

Well that's intelligent! <------------- thats sarcasm

Actually, its more naive than anything.

Sort of like assuming a forum is for searching, rather than posting.

If that is the case, then we might at well take down the entire forum and put up a database for people to search through. No posting needed.

Perhaps you should try using the search for such info before you claim it is there. Because it isnt. Lots of BS about Empi, "their great" "their not so great" "they suck". But thats the extent of it.

During a search, the actual part number comes up just ONCE. This thread is the only hit.

And if you read my original post, all I was looking for was a confirmation for said part number. Ive done my research, and was looking for a simple part number confirmation.

No need to get your panties in a twist.

And if all you are going to do when responding to a post it tell people to search, just dont respond at all. You are not contributing to the forum, and only add to the BS on this forum that everyone has to sift through when doing a search.

Perhaps you should try using the search for such info before you claim it is there. Because it isnt. Lots of BS about Empi, "their great" "their not so great" "they suck". But thats the extent of it.

During a search, the actual part number comes up just ONCE. This thread is the only hit.

And if you read my original post, all I was looking for was a confirmation for said part number. Ive done my research, and was looking for a simple part number confirmation.

No need to get your panties in a twist.

And if all you are going to do when responding to a post it tell people to search, just dont respond at all. You are not contributing to the forum, and only add to the BS on this forum that everyone has to sift through when doing a search.

look sensitive, i have been here a long time.know alot of people here.have helped more than people than you can even come close to knowing here yet...don't take it personally.but if ya want to, we live pretty close to each other;)

so, nah nah nah nah nah...

legit is legit.i don't HAVE to prove myself.

cheers, b

Edited by monstaru

look sensitive, i have been here a long time.know alot of people here.have helped more than people than you can even come close to knowing here yet...don't take it personally.but if ya want to, we live pretty close to each other;)

so, nah nah nah nah nah...

legit is legit.i don't HAVE to prove myself.

cheers, b

So where again is all of that pertinent info provided by said search?

This forum would be much better without the superiority complex. And honestly, you sound like a child. Perhaps you are the one that needs to grow up. This isnt elementary school, people dont judge you by who you know. If they do, then this forum has a LOT more problems than I thought.

I own a 1984 GL. I use this forum for research and info. No more, no less. Dont like my post? Then dont respond. It is as simple as that.

• 3 weeks later...