Ultimate Subaru Message Board

running lights stay on even if click button off?

• 2 weeks later...
I went and looked at a Legacy that had the whole dash torn apart trying to figure out why the parking lights stayed on!:eek:

awesome. next time i sell one of these to a newbie, i am hitting the switch as they drive off...in the past i always explained that switch to them, and explained it to my family as they have now gotten into the Subaru groove. My parents have 2 and now my brother has 2 as well.

ha!! i went through the same thing i was cleaning the car up and accidentally hit that switch i didnt know what it was for was wondering why the lights were still on and someone on here told me oh check on the top of the steering column .. its pretty common and its called the "virgin light"

I played around and found out what that switch did on my parent's subaru long before I could drive. But I re-discovered it the first time I took out my gauge cluster. The next morning I went to my car to drive to class, and my battery was not only dead. But frozen and bulged out.... Took it inside to warm up and it was alright...

• 2 weeks later...
Why would they make that switch and put it there?

what good is it?

In some countries it's a law that cars require a switch to turn on the parking lights when the key is out. This is how subaru deals with that.

In the US we tend to just use our hazards if parking on the side of the road temporarily, etc. But that's why the switch is there. Why the USDM cars get it? ...