Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

No stampings for the lower panel (Boo!) but its for the most part pretty easy to remake.

As for the paint, its holding up everywhere perfectly except for the front door pads, maybe I didn't clean them well enough IDK? I want to take all the door pads to an upholstery and just have them redone with Black vinyl.  

• Like 1

No stampings for the lower panel (Boo!) but its for the most part pretty easy to remake.

As for the paint, its holding up everywhere perfectly except for the front door pads, maybe I didn't clean them well enough IDK? I want to take all the door pads to an upholstery and just have them redone with Black vinyl.  

I have the exact same results with the Duplicolor Vinyl on my front panels too. I'll share if I find  better solution. This "Safariwagon" build helped inspire two cars that I am working on right now, Thank you for starting this thread and taking the time to include photos and keep it updated.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

Removed the Headliner to check out the Supporting slats in the roof, everything seems solid. So I will be applying FatMat on the entire roof to dampen any noise.

2014_0330AB.jpg

I am also removing all the original sound coating as I did in the GL, then will be coating the entire floor (After welding up anything need be) with Rustolium's Truck Bed Liner (Dries hard like enamel) Then will be applying FatMat through-out the floor and wheel wells.

2014_0330AE.jpg

Labeling All hardware!

2014_0330AG.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of elbow grease going on there. Considering you're running a 3at too, (our Loyale has one) have you ever flushed it and refilled? I'm sure the Loyale could use it, as it's the original fluid in there. Is there JUST trans fluid in there or is there gear oil anywhere too? Sorry, just thought maybe you'd have some insight. Mine is FWD though.

Yes, I have changed the Trans fluid twice (Now running Synthetic) The fill tube for the ATF is on the Driver side close to the Steering link and yes, the front diff uses its own gear oil 85-90 and the fill tube for that is on the pass side just above the axle. I would change both, I wouldn't run a flush, possibly drop the pan and wipe it out along with the Valve body to remove the typical gray sludge.

To drain the gear oil, there is a plug under the trans, or its on the side on FWD trannys I kinda forgot.

Edited by TheLoyale

Must watch Leone in Rally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XbzyLbPDTs

I've been talking to Mo Verjee about that video. I asked about why it seems they were never really pushing their ea82 past about 4k rpm, shifting low and generally being easy on the car. He told me that 2 days before the start of the event, they had seized the original motor. They purchased a brand new engine from Subaru that was crated, but never run in, and for this reason for the first 1,000 km of the event they were essentially breaking in the new engine, while competing!

Also, the problem at the 10 min. mark was because a pipe to the turbo had broken (downpipe?) and essentially rendered the motor gutless so they had to keep slipping the clutch from a stop to make it up the hill.

Interesting stuff.

And thank you for the information about draining and refilling the 3AT. Probably going to be getting around to that this spring at some point. How is the pan sealed, if I do drop it?

• Like 1

Good info on the rally video! Thank you. As for the trans pan, it has a cork gasket which probably leaks already. I always reseal Engine and Transmissions with RTV Black. Works great and doesn't leak if you apply it evenly.

As for the headliner, its straight forward. Remove the trim pieces first, then pop or pull out the visible clips. I had to cut my clips so I didn't wreak the Vinyl, but I can buy the same clips online. and the liner will drop down, pull it out the gate and done.

The liner is cardboard line the door panels so be gentle.

Yeah finding gray clips seems few and far between, the only gray clips I've seen are the wrong style. I'm just going to replace the clips with Black, since I have other black accents in the interior. I'll check out lowes, I was really amazed how much more they have Vs HomeDepot and Menards.

Was thinking of rolling it if I can find rustolium in this color. I rolled Trashwagon and it turned out really good, more control I think, I would still need to remove everything from the body to get a thorough job, areas I can't get to with a roller I would shoot with a can.

Well, I found a way to get custom Rustoleum paints in Satin. Rustoleum offers Door paint for Steel and Wood doors, Extreme durability with UV protection and chip resistant! Still self-leveling which will be a nice feature.

Now my problem is figuring out which color I actually want... I will post of picture of the color sheet and see which ones everyone favors most.