Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 97 Subaru Postal wagon with the 2.2 engine stalls or sucks down when weather is warm like now in Texas. It does this every spring and summer but runs fine when the weather is cooler.

I have changed plugs and wires but this does not stop the problem, the engine does not die and it runs fine going at a steady pace. But when you start from a stop it hesitates like it has bad wire or plug.

No check engine light, so I dont know what to check any ideals?

1-3-2-4 M.A.F. wouldnt this show a code? What is the best way to check for vacum leak? The vacum lines look good from sight.

Nipper, the timing belt is close to due for changing but this has done this for the last few years when it was not due. It has not died just cut out like it is not getting fuel or fire. And it does it only when the weather is warm it runs fine on the cool days. As far as the mileage it is way up there. 448,000 miles. It has been on a mail route for the last 15 years.

Edited by tcspeer

SO this does it in a "Hot Soak" condition. Does it restart after it stalls immediatly? When it restarts is ther e a puf of brown smoke?

Hoe old is the O2 sensor?

And change the PCV valve just because.

No the engine never dies, it just bogs down and then goes fine. 02 sensor is old, but no code for it.

vac leak? flaky MAF?

Looks like the flaky MAF was good advice, I done reseach on the web and the problems I am having are common with this going bad, and it is common for it not to give check engine code.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks to the rest who also offered advice.

Good luck tcspeer. Hope the MAF does the trick for you.

Might try cleaning the old one (gently with the proper spray cleaner!) and clean the contacts in the electrical connector first--before you go looking for a replacement.

Let us know how it turns out. Aloha!

Good luck tcspeer. Hope the MAF does the trick for you.

Might try cleaning the old one (gently with the proper spray cleaner!) and clean the contacts in the electrical connector first--before you go looking for a replacement.

Let us know how it turns out. Aloha!

Cleaning is a good suggestion, I see they are over 200.00 dollars at Rock Auto.

I can get you one if it comes to it. I would do the O2 sensor while you are at it.

The question above of mileage kindof made me laugh a little, if this is used as a mail/delivery vehicle, is probably not going to be a relevant number unless you have seen a drop and drive it the same route on a weekly basis, etc.

I can get you one if it comes to it. I would do the O2 sensor while you are at it.

The question above of mileage kindof made me laugh a little, if this is used as a mail/delivery vehicle, is probably not going to be a relevant number unless you have seen a drop and drive it the same route on a weekly basis, etc.

Thanks Shawn, but I already ordered it new. We get a good dicount on parts for postal Subarus from Lithia Subaru.

On the mileage it has been on a route with over 100 miles daily since 1996. It is used for most everything else we do also because it gets better gas mileage then anything else we have. I think I have been through four driveshafts with all of the stop and go, and I dont recall anyone here ever say they have had to replace a drive shaft.

Thanks Shawn, but I already ordered it new. We get a good dicount on parts for postal Subarus from Lithia Subaru.

On the mileage it has been on a route with over 100 miles daily since 1996. It is used for most everything else we do also because it gets better gas mileage then anything else we have. I think I have been through four driveshafts with all of the stop and go, and I dont recall anyone here ever say they have had to replace a drive shaft.

I've had to replace one. It was a GL, but it's more or less the same driveshaft.

My 97 Subaru Postal wagon with the 2.2 engine stalls or sucks down when weather is warm like now in Texas. It does this every spring and summer but runs fine when the weather is cooler.

I have changed plugs and wires but this does not stop the problem, the engine does not die and it runs fine going at a steady pace. But when you start from a stop it hesitates like it has bad wire or plug.

No check engine light, so I dont know what to check any ideals?

The new 285.00 dollar M.A.F. sensor did fix this problem, thanks to all for the advice.