Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting a '95 Legacy and taking it across the US. What's it going to need?

In several weeks I will be taking a '95 Legacy Brighton wagon into my custody from relatives who are replacing it with a newer Sube. This Legacy was bought new in California, has lived in many parts of the US, and has spent the last 8 years or so in Pittsburgh, PA. It's been stolen and recovered, it's been driven across the country several times, and it's closing in on 200k... so it has seen its share of tough miles and hard use. It's being kept in the family due to emotional attachment.

I am picking up the car in Pittsburgh and driving it directly back to Seattle after a stop in New York City. In short, I am going to arrive in town, get in the car, and immediately put about 4000 miles on it. The car has been maintained and is in good working order but, having done this sort of trip in old tired vehicles before, I'm familiar with the importance of being prepared for problems. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get a handle on what some of those problems might be, and specifically, if there's anything I ought to try to get taken care of pre-emptively before hitting the road. Or any tools I specifically ought to have along besides the usual collection of standard stuff? My experience is with diesels, VWs, and Volvos (or best of all, Volvo and VW diesels :)) so I'm quite able to tackle whatever may need attention, but haven't spent as much time around Subes. I understand that this engine is one of the non-interference ones, so I am not going to worry about the TB. Looks like headgaskets are not as much of an issue on these either.

What should I expect to go wrong with it, and what should I plan to do to it? Anything particular to check or keep an eye on beyond the usual?

Thanks in advance.

Are you alone on this trip, or have someone following you in a separate car on this trip? I get the feeling you are doing this alone.

In addition to what 86 Subaru wrote, I would check all four tires for potential problems, and be sure all tires are inflated properly. I would also pull one of the front wheels to see how much brake pad is left, if there is not a recent receipt for the pad having been recently replaced. I would also pry up the caps on the battery, and add distilled water if needed. I would check to see that head and tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals bulbs are all working.

It is asking a lot of a 16 year car with nearly 200K on the odo (even a Subie) to make a 4,000 mile trip. There are so many things that can go wrong, causing a break down.

Just be sure to keep your cell charged up, and I would advise taking a CB radio to learn about road/driving conditions, plus it is handy to have if you do break down.

Good luck on your trip!

i assume the timing belt was done at 180k, but it would be good to KNOW when it was done.

and since this is coming from ''family'', it would be really nice if the oil and filter was fresh when you picked it up. if not have it done before you hit the road. and maybe have them look the car over with ''will it make it'' in mind.

and if you want to carry a few tools, a 4way screwdriver, and a 3/8 ratchet with 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm sockets. if you aren't ''flying in'' to pick it up you can add some box end wrenches and extensions maybe a 19mm socket (for brakes maybe but i can't remember).

carry some oil and a couple of gallons of water, coolant would be better. and as stated check the belts and hoses before you start. with the national chain auto parts stores, you could buy hoses and belts on the east coast and return them new, if not needed, on the west coast. that way a problem will only slow you long enough to replace the part. not the time it takes to find a ride and a store.

oh yeah, and some duck tape. :lol:

Edited by johnceggleston

i wouldn't worry about it too much. i drive mine from nh to mi and back every year. only 850 miles each way, but comparable to your trip, since the return leg is done in a day.

mine is also a '95 wagon, and has over 260K. i have had a few failures on the trip, too. rear brake line cracked (from rust) three years ago, and last year, the alternator failed. both were fixed and i was on my way.

the reality is you can only take so many things with you. basic tool set, some fluids (oil, brake, dexron). forget the rest. visual inspection to replace anything that's obviously bad - like hoses.

otherwise, hop in and drive.

All good suggestions. Biggest question to me would be, how comfortable are you with your relatives' "car care skills?" Have they kept up with preventive maintenance over the years?

Age and mileage are less of a factor than how well the car has been maintained.

Example: Last Fall my son and I drove his 19-year old Legacy with over 200,000 miles from Seattle to Colorado and back--3,500-miles in one week--without a hiccup. Carried a basic tool kit, oil & coolant but never had to touch them.

However we had just refreshed the front end: TB, idlers, seals, oil pump, water pump & t-stat, hoses, fluids & filters. Car already had new plugs & wires, O2 sensor & knock sensor. Inspected brakes, wheels & tires. Oh, and we replaced both front axles while we were in Colorado (so close to MWE!)

In short, the car never gave us a moment's concern. But we did everything we could to make sure it was in good condition before we set out.

Good luck and Godspeed to you. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

your most likely scenarios are overheat(best have a newer thermo, change any soft hoses, topoff coolants, and carry the leftovers as spare.)

..and flat tires (road debris, old tires, bad belting) Carry 2 spares if you can, if you are rolling on less than newer tires)

Expect to use a quart of oil or 2. make a habit to check oil at every fill up. sustained highway driving does use oil naturally through the PCV

Change the oil and filter before you leave. Check the fluid levels and the air pressure in the tires.

Assuming the timing belt was replaced at 180k like John suggested.

If it wasn't carry a 6 inch C-clamp with you so you can compress the timing belt tensioner in case the belt breaks.

Thanks for the advice.

Will have all basic tools on board, wrenches, sockets, etc, as well as vital fluids. Will have a look at brakes and belts etc. Hope I won't have to do a timing belt on the road but can do if need be.

The car has been cared for regularly but it hasn't been babied. Think they have kept on top of the major stuff though. Will be keeping a close eye/ear/nose on it the whole way through. I think it will make it. :cool:

Does the Brighton model have cruise? Suspect it does not since those seem like they are stripped down to almost nothing equipment-wise. I will miss it if it's not there...

Does the Brighton model have cruise? Suspect it does not since those seem like they are stripped down to almost nothing equipment-wise. I will miss it if it's not there...

it was not standard on the brighton, but it was an option, auto trans was the same. AWD was standard.

Edited by johnceggleston