Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally...My Desert Runner is Ready

yes, they are the allied wheels. they seem to have a deep offset, prolly custom set for another customer, so they rub in the rears, so i just mounted them backwards.

and yes, its time to get dirty..desert trip in 2 weeks, cant wait!

Looks great!! If you haven't already, I would highly suggest swapping in a dual range 5 spd tranny!!

Thank you. And i havent done the swap yet, but did see one at the local junkyard. Just waiting for the next 50% off parts sale

From the looks of your neighborhood, I would say they are gonna call the neighborhood ordnance on you for having such a "junker" in your front driveway. Are you even allowed to work on your cars over there. Or do you just do it in the middle of the night and try to not wake up the neighbors. :banana::lol::grin:

Looks good man. I dare ya to bring it home covered in mud and park it on the drive way all crooked.

That is always something else, when someone will go out of their way to complain about something that doesn't directly affect them.

My buddy Tim Hansen got the city insectors called on him for having a boarding house in a single family(college kid rentals) because he had cars in his driveway. So the neighbor decides to call about something that isnt car related, beacuse of the cars. They could build a taller fence.

It was my car that did it in, the old lady next door with a dog named 'katie' does not like to look at a 78 toyota camper painted like a trashwagon.

anyway.......

that white car is very clean and looks nice. I did like the white hubcaps with the original wheels, that with white bumpers would look ultra clean.

987687- thats a great idea! Im gonna try go tmmrw n stash the tranny! Lol

Mugs-So far so good w/ the neighbors, no complaints yet. Then again, ur right, they haven't seen it all mudded-up. Most my neighbors pretty kool bout workin on cars, just as long as power tools off by 10pm.

Miles- Dang...Katie killed it for u..sorry to hear. Yeah, color-match bumpers would been sick lookin w/ those hubcaps

Theres someone on the forum that (I love the idea and was thinking of doing it myself)

But from your trim pieces on the side and bumpers and blow, painted black and the top painted white. He was lowered on WRX rims, but it was still pretty sick looking.

When I make my car Subaru blue, Im thinking that my trim pieces and below will be black or a semi-purple color leading to black.

The offset on those rims is going to kill your wheel bearings. I'd get some wheel spacers made and flip them around the other direction. I used to run some 6 lug wheels that stuck out that far, they rubbed on the body more when turning than the 6 lug mitsubishi wheels that had the right offset do. The rims off a 80's mitsubishi mighty-max or dodge d-50

(same truck) have the perfect offset. I was running 235/75r15's and they cleared the spring seats just fine but tucked the wheels in as far as you can.

The offset on those rims is going to kill your wheel bearings. I'd get some wheel spacers made and flip them around the other direction. I used to run some 6 lug wheels that stuck out that far, they rubbed on the body more when turning than the 6 lug mitsubishi wheels that had the right offset do. The rims off a 80's mitsubishi mighty-max or dodge d-50

(same truck) have the perfect offset. I was running 235/75r15's and they cleared the spring seats just fine but tucked the wheels in as far as you can.

The fronts are fine, no rub issues if mounted correctly. Its the rears that rub against a bolt that sticks out a little and flat arm that goes horizontal. Not sure if theres a fix for that other than getting another set of wheels w correct offset. But thank u for the info regarding bearings, I keep that in mind. Maybe I can just run the fronts w/ the correct side and look like a top-fuel funny car :lol:

Wow that rocks gokoolab! Giving me motivation to get my engine working and jack her up :) I'm going to likely do the flat white, IDK or olive green LOL But yours is sweet and really clean! :headbang:

and hes going the other way, lower lol.

Can't wait to see that rugby! Living in Florida I was tempted, mostly because everyone down here thinks its cool to put 26" rims under a 6 cylinder impala *shudders*... but I have my type-s, I can lower that a bit, the Subaru needs to go higher with a 2" exhaust and cherry bomb just to keep the neighbors looking LOL

Miles... hate the neighbor thing too... :S

On the wheel offset: We have a tractor that we flipped the wheels like you did, and we were also told that the wheel bearings would wear faster. We've not had any bearing trouble yet, and it added quite a bit of stability. One thing nobody mentioned was that with the wheels sticking out that much, the steering wheel gets jerked harder if you hit a rock or something with one side and not the other.

Remember that this was on a tractor, I'm not sure how much it applies to your sweet-looking wagon, but hopefully it helps.

Jrd- thanks buddy

soobenthusiast- thanks for the input bout ur tractor. I actually went to alignment shop today and they told me the same thing 91loyale says, if u keep the wheels flipped, your wheel bearings are gonna be trashed quickly. Im prollly gonna look for new set wheels n do it correctly

I replaced a lot of wheel bearings in my car, but most of them were probably due to water/mud getting in to them. Even the sealed bearings with the stock seals as well would get killed off in about a year. Front and rear bearings, about every 6 months I'd be doing one end or the other.