Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New head gasket picture, is this normal

Hello everyone, putting my 00 legacy L 2.5 back together.. And new to the Subaru world...

Is it normal to see this much of the block through the head gasket? I left the pictures large. This does not look normal to me. I'm going to stop till I hear from the experts. This is a oem Subaru gasket.

Thanks for any help.

001_1.JPG

002_1.JPG

003_0.JPG

Edited by Rpm90001

Seemed a little funny to me also, there has to be a reason..I just don't know what. Motor is all Back together, I took a lot if time making sure the surface was spotless wit a plastic razor and green scotch bright with wd40, had the heads machined just to clean up the surface and followed the. Torque spec to the T. Hopefully the oem gasket will hold up for atleast 60 k.

Seemed a little funny to me also, there has to be a reason..I just don't know what. Motor is all Back together, I took a lot if time making sure the surface was spotless wit a plastic razor and green scotch bright with wd40, had the heads machined just to clean up the surface and followed the. Torque spec to the T. Hopefully the oem gasket will hold up for atleast 60 k.

The updated gaskets are unlikely to leak. Probably will last the life of the engine. I've done quite a few of these and I haven't had a single problem yet. In fact I've never had a head gasket blow that I've replaced. It's all about attention to detail.

GD

If it's about attention to detail, I'm very confident I should have no issues. What was changed from the original gasket? I have thought that some of the people that had problems with the OE gaskets may have been instillation issues. I fell a little better now, I everyone keeps telling me I should of used other brand other than OE

the same "everyone" probably tell you to use fel-pros. Subaru spent MILLIONS of dollars finding a fix for the hg issue. i will take it rather than some gasket company only "printing" the head onto a composite or steel sheet. :)