Slightly sticking throttle, very annoying

Another small issue in my new to me 00 legacy

My gas pedal sticks many times when I am at a stoplight and I try and

go again. It feels like I have to get past a barrier or sticky spot

and then it gives way. This causes me to give it more gas than I want

to and make the car jump forward. What could cause this? It seems to

happen when the car gets a little more warmed up and never right away

when it's cold.

It does not stick hard, you just have to push it slightly harder to get it unstuck, with a manual trans it makes it a little hard to match the throttle and clutch timing.

This may have something to do with the idle problem I'm experiencing, the idle drops very low almost to the stalling point when I stop at a light. It will idle super low.

Anyone see a connection? The cables are fine, I can feel it with out the cables connected. Anyone ever have this problem. Again, its slight stick, but enough to make it a pain to drive.

Thanks,

G

Thanks,

I do not think it was ever touched, I bought it from an older couple who were the original owners and only touched by the dealer. It would of had to be messed with by them if it was moved. Think the 2 issues are related?

Is there any signs that will tell me if it was messed with? If this is the problem, is there a correct way to put it back?

Thanks,

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

Usually the stop screw and it's nut have a dab of paint on them...

Older couple.... yeah. Was the old man prone to tinkering? Just the kind of thing I would expect from somoene familair with carbs but not the slightest clue about throttle body's.....

Just adjust it till it doesn't stick. That's all it's for - to keep the throttle butterfly open just enough that it doesn't stick in the bore. It also, neccesarily, means that there's a controlled air leak around the butterfly - which will increase the idle speed a bit.

GD

Honestly, I'm sure they never even opened the hood on the car. Everything including checking oil was done by the dealer.

Its dark out now, I will check it tomorrow. If it is sticking in the bore, and it has been like that for a while should I see some wear at the sticking point? Location of the screw? I'm sure I will find it when it's daylight, it should obvious....

I don't remember looking at the butterfly when I did the head gaskets, I covered it as soon as I took the air box off. Can I reach the plate with my fingers? If I can reach it, I might be able to verify if that is what is sticking. I'm sure it's not the cable.

And last... If the plate is out of adjustment, Just Re-adjust it just till it's no longer square in the bore (completely closed) my guess is this is the only way it would stick.

Sorry for all the questions...if this was a Hayabusa motor or a small block ford I would not have a problem.

Thank you for all the help.. With the help here, I have worked out most all my cars issues.

Geo

Edited by Rpm90001

The stop screw is difficult to see sometimes. I could also be the throttle body is full of carbon, and the build up on the throttle plate is causing it to stick. A good cleaning of the throttle body and idle control motor could help the low idle issue as well.

It's just like a butterfly on a carb - they are set so they cannot stick as well. Typically by an idle speed screw that keeps the plate open a very small amount.

You will see when it's light out - just take the airbox off the throttle body and you will see the butterfly. Honestly if it's not the cable's then I can guarantee it's the throttle butterfly as there is nothing else to cause such a symptom. Perhaps a cleaning as sugested will do the trick.... but my experience is that these don't stick like that - even after 300k miles they don't stick unless someone has messed with that screw. Could be some flunkie at the dealer - who knows :confused:.

GD

I had my cable was not smooth at the pedal side where it goes into the sleeve through the firewall.

Every time I wanted to leave a roundabout (yes Europe) I pushed the pedal and click past the 'sticking' racing style not that I really wanted that.

I re greased the cable with Vaseline (or any other acid free grease, copper grease might do as well) and graphite powder. This worked well for few years.

Thanks everyone, you all are a great help. Ni worked late tonight, but will cheek it as soon as I get a minute. It's first on my list. I'm sure it's not the cables because I felt it when the cables wer disconnected when opening it by hand. I never looked inside, I covered it as soon as the air box came off and just never looked. Today it did not stick, and the idle was normal. This is my second day actualy driving this car. I tore it apart as soon as I got it.

Thanks again, I will post what I find. The people here have been a tremendous help with this car.

Geo

GD...

You were right on, got out there today and I could feel it sticking when opening the butterfly with my fingers. Everything was pretty clean. I loosened the nut just a little, turned the screw a hair at a time till the moment there was no sticking. It was almost like not moving it at all it was so little. Throttle is no longer sticking at all! And idle no longer drops and sticks there. Another issue fixed! Thank you. I shouldnt say it, but it runs so good, I have to keep looking at the tach to make sure it's still running.

Thank you!!!

Geo

I had the same thing happen to me on my last car. I never touched the screw, but randomly one day after I owned it for over a year it just started sticking exactly like your described. Very fine adjustment of the screw fixed it, so it wasn't necessarily messed with. It just happened to me.

The throttle stop might just get a little worn out allowing it to close a bit more. There was no paint on mine, I don't know for sure if it was ever messed with, I highly doubt it.. But it is possible. Anyways, day 2 and runs perfect.

Geo