Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LED bulbs/brighter bulbs

My friend has a set of bulbs in his STI with blacked out tail lights. Because of the law though, they have to be visible by 500 feet on running lights, brake lights, reverse lights as well as turn signals.

To make this possible with how blacked out they are (see pic) he said he purchased LED light bulbs that are "supposedly" 300% brighter than stock bulbs.

BlackedOutLights.jpg

Heres a similar pic, his has blacked out lights, probably darker than these.

Has anyone used these on an older car? Like a loyale or anything? Id like these, but the guy at Autozone looked at me like I was crazy.

Is this a kit, like my HIDs were? Is it a direct plug-in? :-\ Just wondering... Going to replace my cracked lens with non-cracked, non-leaking tail light assemblies and they are lightly smoked (not that dark) so to keep the car legal, I want brighter lights..

Maybe even not LED, just a brighter stock bulb? :lol:

If dude is replacing the tail lights, Stop/Turn/Parking, look at the 12v vehicle lights, he'll need something like an 1157 or 1156 (Ones a single pole, the other is a duel pole) go with Cool white as its super bright. Get the High-Power ones aswell, cost a bit more, but are worth it.

You can't buy those crappy LEDs from Autozone, its a gimic.

They would be on my 1986 GL sedan, so I dont think we have the same bulbs, but its no big deal right now, I have to clean the holes out and make sure the surface is ready for butyl rubber so the trunk stops leaking.

You will still use 1156 and or 1157s. Its common Brake/stop/turn bulbs.

the blackout affect is totally RETARDED dumb mf.

end of thread.

ban me now.

You cannot see the lights on that car in rain, snow, fog.

The Insurance company should drop that car or at least charge 300% more cause it is unsafe.

I will not pay more cause some fool was not seen in a safe time limit when in the rain fog, sleet snow.

Learn this fact it is dumb.

Another added fact is that whole car is retarded. It cannot be driven in any snow the way it sits. the owner of that type car in general is the same owner writing an essay on nasioc that he spun out in 1/2 inch of snow cause he didnt have the money to buy snow tires.

If you really want good lights, go buy some street legal Hellas or Osram bulbs...eot

Edited by bheinen74

easy there budeh

- considering that your stated reason for hating this blacked out look sooo much is because it is unsafe (which i totally agree with) one would think that a thread about how to make this look safe by putting in brighter lights wouldn't piss you off so much.

If he wants to acquire this blacked out look for his car while retaining safe lights, more power too him, and you of all people I would think would want to encourage that, not spew hate everywhere.

(also the car pictured is not op's car or friends car, just an example of dark tail light lenses)

not trying to start a war here, I just don't like seeing people looking for help in doing something the right way getting crapped on.

Edited by chrisgpz
grammer

Agreed, everyone calm down... Im not trying to cause issues. I should have just simply asked where a brighter alternative to my taillights were and kept my reasoning private.

I understand they look dumb, I think blacked out lights are stupid, but with a darker colored car, I think a *little* tint isnt a bad thing.. like tinted windows, I think a little tint is cool.

I want brighter light bulbs because the lights I chose are already lightly smoked, *lightly* smoked, they arent as dark as the STI up there, definitely not that dark.

and yes, I want the brighter bulbs for safety because legally they have to be visible by 500 feet.

Edited by 92_rugby_subie