Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Jumps time

I have an Ea81 in my offroad toy.It has SPFI.Lately it seems to be jumping the timing at the distributor.Car will run fine and then all of the sudden it started running on two cylinders and backfiring through the intake.Check timing and it was way off.So readjust timing.ran for 2 minutes then back to two cylinders firing and backfiring through intake.I readjusted the timing again and now I haven't gotten it to start yet.I got it to "run" by pulling it with another vehicle.It would "run" only when it was gear.I could rev the engine up about 500 rpm from where it was being towed at but it would die if I took it out of gear.

The teeth on the distributor are fine,the roll pin holding the distributor gear to the disty shaft is fine,the rotor is on tight,and the gear that drives the distributor is fine.

Is the engine fixable or do I need to go on the hunt for another engine?

I have an Ea81 in my offroad toy.It has SPFI.Lately it seems to be jumping the timing at the distributor.Car will run fine and then all of the sudden it started running on two cylinders and backfiring through the intake.Check timing and it was way off.So readjust timing.ran for 2 minutes then back to two cylinders firing and backfiring through intake.I readjusted the timing again and now I haven't gotten it to start yet.I got it to "run" by pulling it with another vehicle.It would "run" only when it was gear.I could rev the engine up about 500 rpm from where it was being towed at but it would die if I took it out of gear.

The teeth on the distributor are fine,the roll pin holding the distributor gear to the disty shaft is fine,the rotor is on tight,and the gear that drives the distributor is fine.

Is the engine fixable or do I need to go on the hunt for another engine?

Do you think its possible that the timing chain got stretched or something like that. When i had the motor it never was in perfect time but it ran good enough. If i remember correctly it would run best when the disty was advanced as far as it would go.

What is your timing "jumping" too when it acts up?

Make sure to plug in the green connectors befor you set the timing, remember its 20 deg since its SPFI.

The EA81 doesnt have a timing chain, so jumping timing would be a bit of a trick. Your sure the gear/pin on the distributor is good and tight? Keep in mind that was one of the tricky parts of the SPFI swap.

the screw in the rotor is tight.

cap is fine

and the pin holding the distributor gear in place in fine

if I grab the disty gear and the rotor and can move them maybe 1-2*

as far as how much its jumping, anywhere from 90* out to 270* out.

Edited by Uberoo

I will pull the valve cover off when I get a chance and look at the gear.Right now the subi is at my friends house some 45 miles away because that is where it was towed to.

Is there a roll pin in the cam gear that might have sheared?

when I was inspecting the distributor I looked at the drive gear down the hole where the disty went.It looked good.I even put the disty in without a cap just to see if the rotor was spinning...everything looks good.

is the drive gear an integral part of the cam or was it pressed on or held on with a roll pin?

Im just lost how a purely mechanical engine like a EA81 that has everything driven by gears and pushrods could have the timing slip.

If my memory serves, the timing gear off the Cam/Crank (forget which one) is part of the shaft, and shouldn't spin on its own.

Check the gear on your distributor, as well as the rotor again, make sure the screw is locked into the flat spot at the top.

If your bolts holding in the disty aren't tight that could also cause your timing to slip.

I just pulled an EA81 down last week. The distributor drive gear is on the front end of the crank. Remove the pulley and the seal and it should slide right out. I think the gear is a soft metal like aluminum so it could be worn. The beveled side goes in towards the engine.

Good Luck!

The disty drive gear slides onto the the crankshaft right behind the front main seal. There's a small woodruff key on the crankshaft that keeps the gear in the right spot. When you check the gear, make sure this woodruff key is in place, and that the inside of the disty drive gear is in good shape. Best of luck.

Nick

I will pull the valve cover off when I get a chance and look at the gear.Right now the subi is at my friends house some 45 miles away because that is where it was towed to.

Is there a roll pin in the cam gear that might have sheared?

45 miles from lewiston?

Where is the car now?