Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very easy question to answer (01 Legacy L)

Okay I'm kind of embarrassed about this but here we go....My Subaru (01 Legacy L) rolls hard and jumps/floats when hitting bumps and cornering. THe problem is in the rear suspension. I go to the auto parts store and ask for the part I need... and they have the choice of gas shocks or rear struts. The picture looks the same for each, and they both look like whatever's attached to my car. Pretty sure these are stock so.....

Do 01 Legacy L's come with struts or shocks in the rear? If shocks, are they gas?

Yes, you will need a spring compressor. You can rent one at advance auto or buy one for cheaper. The bolt size is a 19mm as well. Best to have a wrench in that size too.

What I have:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Kit-1--Strut-Spring-Compressor-Kit-%282--piece%29-Powerbuilt-Tools_9150007-P_N3492_T|GRP2083_____

If you add that to your car, and add something cheap like a battery washer or something just to get it over $50.00 you can use a coupon code from here:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

Make sure and do in store pickup. Of course this depends on an advance auto being close to you.

i just bought two rear KYB GR-2's for my 02 OBW.

thepartsbin.com currently has them for only $55 each - so $110 for both.

order in the next 5 days and use this code on check out, enter it in the coupon area/box for a $15 discount:

MIDSUMMER15

you'll have both for close to the price of one at most stores.

my OBW is driving about like you're describing as well and my tire is scalloping on the one side from the bad strut too.

i also ordered strut spring compressors off ebay for $22 shipped.

I LOVE THIS FORUM! AHHHHHHHHHH! Quick responses! Coupons! Yay!

p.s. I got cheapo spring compressors from harbor freight.com 17 bucks shipped. Dont have air wrench to compress them tight but I figure I can jack it up by the suspension so the spring is compressed, throw the compressors on, let it down then jack it up by the frame. That way i'm not crankin on the spring for hours to shrink it an inch or two.

If you have never used the "2 threaded rod" style spring compressors be careful, keep your eyes open, and your hands out of the way! I was working with a guy when the 2 rods slid around to one side and trapped his fingers. I got his broken fingers out and took him to the hospital. Although it was 20 years ago it's hard to forget:eek:

I use a wall mounted one now personally.

I used to use my spring compressors without air tools, or power tools for that matter. Takes a wee bit longer to do it by hand but go slow and you'll get it. Just keep an eye on them while you compress them and if they shift, stop and make sure they're not going to leap off the spring and smack you in the head.

Advance auto rents (you get the money back on return) the type with the locking pin to keep them from coming off.

If I was to do this more often, I would only buy this type.

I did mine by hand also, although with a 1/2 drive ratchet to make it easier.

O.

many users comment that thoroughly oiling the threads makes them much easier to use. i've seen folks mention the welds breaking on the HF units (and my assumption is most of the cheaper ones available anywhere else), so i would be liberal with the oil (let the political jokes fly! :lol::banana::lol::lol::lol:)

To answer your original question, your car has struts on all four corners.

The part descriptions on the store computers can be misleading sometimes. Technically it's a shock absorber, but the whole assembly (spring and shock put together) is called a strut.

To answer your original question, your car has struts on all four corners.

The part descriptions on the store computers can be misleading sometimes. Technically it's a shock absorber, but the whole assembly (spring and shock put together) is called a strut.

a shock absorber is just that a single round cylinder, no spring perch

a strut, is one that has the spring perch mounted to the shock, welded on.

a strut assembly, is the strut, the spring, and the top mount all fastened together ready to bolt into the car/

I LOVE THIS FORUM! AHHHHHHHHHH! Quick responses! Coupons! Yay!

p.s. I got cheapo spring compressors from harbor freight.com 17 bucks shipped. Dont have air wrench to compress them tight but I figure I can jack it up by the suspension so the spring is compressed, throw the compressors on, let it down then jack it up by the frame. That way i'm not crankin on the spring for hours to shrink it an inch or two.

yeah, um, how do i say this...not gonna happen that way...the spring compressors are too large to fit up into the space near the tophats...you wont be able to get them far enough up the spring to be able to compress them enough to change the strut. this is especially true of the rears.

Have the HF spring compressors here and have used them several times (multiple Subarus here) not the greatest quality of materials, but they WILL get the job done,

Oil the threads to make it go easier - I dont recommend using impact tools on these - that tends to eat up the threads (yeah, been there, done that) :rolleyes:

having an extra pair of hands can be useful on this job btw...not necessary, but useful.