Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifter tick solved? fingers crossed.

Im pretty pumped that I have eliminated the lifter tick in my 91 Loyale. I know this is a common issue thats been covered a bunch, but I figured I'd let you guys know how it went for me.

I started out trying fresh oil and MMO. It worked almost imediatly until the oil warmed up, tho it was slightly less noticable. So I went one step further and replaced the "mickey mouse" gasket, which by the way was in terrible shape. I finished that job up, primmed the oil pump and expected to hear lifters for the first few second untill oil pressure built up. I was kind of let down when the lifters stayed ticking for 10 minutes. So I shut it down and was comfortable just dealing with the sound since the thing ran fine othrewise.

The thing that gets me is after driving around today, about 40 miles, I got out of the car while it was idling and the motor was so quiet. Anybody have any theorys why it took so long for the lifters to quiet down?

post-39237-136027649567_thumb.jpg

... Anybody have any theorys why it took so long for the lifters to quiet down?

Those Engines Needs to be Accelerated for long time periods in order to Sustain a High Oil Pressure for enough time to Fill the Hydro lifters; Specially if those had dirt inside.

If your EA82 was singin' the "T.O.D." Song for long time, then those Hydro lifters could be Worn enough to make that noise come back again soon, as pressure goes down... then it can dissappear again on Trips... and so on...

Kind Regards.

Tthe previous owner told me it had been ticking since she bought it, at least the past 130,000mi. Her mech told her what it would cost for him to fix it but that it was ok to drive like this so she declined. I have a bit of mechanical OCD, so I could'nt stand to run the car with that tick.

If it comes back... Replace your oil pump and gasket (again, sorry) and also send your lifters to be rebuilt.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113431

this is GDs experience with my car and the TOD... It came back unfortunately after the car hadnt been driven for awhile, but a trip to the gas station and a trip home... I gave it 3 6K RPM shifts and when it got home and idled in the driveway, I didnt hear a single ticking.

Your oil pump is trashed. Get a new one - about $65 from the dealer.

GD

How I wish I could get a new $65 oil pump from the dealer! Got a quote the other day and the oil pump is $565.00 (Australian dollars) ex-Japan :eek:!

Luckily there is eBay...

the cheapest pump I have been able to find is at local parts stores they all go for $146.xx Its been doing fine the way it is now though. I plan on keeping this car and an ej swap would be really cool. Im looking into that and might attempt it around January so Im putting the least amount of money into things that wouldnt stay in after the swap.