Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rx or kingsprings?

tallwelder81

thank you man. but daaaang, i wasnt expecting to pay the same price for 4 springs as id pay for a nice new full body lift kit.

thats a bit ridiculous, dont ya think?

430 U.S. cash dollars?

i think ill stick with hunting down a pair of the rx springs.

i kinda wish there were springs that raised it LESS.

instead of 1.5", maybe just 1 inch, or .75".

anything like that exist?

thank you man. but daaaang, i wasnt expecting to pay the same price for 4 springs as id pay for a nice new full body lift kit.

thats a bit ridiculous, dont ya think?

430 U.S. cash dollars?

i think ill stick with hunting down a pair of the rx springs.

i kinda wish there were springs that raised it LESS.

instead of 1.5", maybe just 1 inch, or .75".

anything like that exist?

I imagine they are worth the money to compliment a lift if your a serious off roader, ive seen them on ea's and ej's. They have a downloadable catalog on their site if your interested in specs and such.

http://www.kingsprings.com.au/motorsport.htm

Ive also seen 1" tube spacers added to strut tops by some of the guys here.

any input on how spacers Vs. springs affect camber and CV wear/stress?

is 1" enough to even matter? or could the spacer be slanted, the way some people do with the lift blocks? 17degrees or whatever it is?

ACTUALLY, incidentally, i was just looking at the king website. under their catalog they only list a std spring for the brumby. nothing lowered or raised.

I haVe these springs (King) on my 99 Impreza OBS and loVe them!!! Well worth the money! I well tell you though I will be selling mine in the near future (sometime during winter) to buy a new set of King Lift Springs meant for the Forester struts. Mine are mated to ProdriVe Bilstein GC struts with saggy spacers, KYB tophats and Jackson Rally 1" strut spacers. The ride... the ride is stiff, maybe a smidge too stiff, but they do work wonders on the dirt, snow, graVel and such.

mick stubbings at kings springs SPECIFICALLY told me they dont make anything but standard springs for the brumby/brat.

so im left with RX springs. or the tempo, maybe?>

but what i read on here, it sounds like the tempo work for an ea82, not a brat.

so..... RX, then.

who has some rx springs i can buy? please please please?

are those STIFFER than stock brat, or just taller? because i figure i HAVE thrown on a little extra weight. not as much as some guys, but still....

i swapped an ea81 for an ej18, so maybe 60-75lbs. the pushbar/bullbar/A bar, call it what you want, maybe 50-60lbs, 80lbs with the thick-steel skidplate and tranny midmount. and then im planning on adding a small electric winch, so.... 30-40lbs. if i assume for the MIDDLE weight guess, thats still at least 180lbs. not a literal ton, but still, enough to affect things.

please soooomebody help me score some front rx springs? or tell me clear if they work for a brat? anyone on here used them on their brat?

soooooo...........

just to be completely clear, then.......

king springs doesnt make a LIFt spring for a brat.

tempo springs dont even fit a brat <ea81 body>

and RX springs dont LIFT a brat, theyre just stiffer?

so theres no way to suspension lift a brat an inch or so?

the ONLY way to lift up my running gear, is to run tall-rump roast tires?

seems like a catch 22, you would want more clearance for offroading,

but the taller the tires, the less effective your already minimal torque becomes.

soooooo...........

just to be completely clear, then.......

king springs doesnt make a LIFt spring for a brat.

tempo springs dont even fit a brat

and RX springs dont LIFT a brat, theyre just stiffer?

so theres no way to suspension lift a brat an inch or so?

the ONLY way to lift up my running gear, is to run tall-rump roast tires?

seems like a catch 22, you would want more clearance for offroading,

but the taller the tires, the less effective your already minimal torque becomes.

by virtue of the stiffness, it does give some lift. when I did the initial install without the bumper, it raised it about 1.5", but probably settled to an inch or so...

you can also adjust up your struts about an inch, but if you do both, you will be replacig CVs on a regular basis.

what did to help the CV axle was something Zap or Qman did... made the engine cossmember blocks 5" and the trans blocks 4", then left the strut blocks at 4", and added the spring lift/strut adjust for the additional inch...

unfortunately, the narrow track width of the Gen2 body, combined with even a minimal 1" strut adjustment, has a big effect on camber and axle angles... so you really need to rely on the larger tires for the clearance.

I'd make 1/2" - 1" spacers for the strut tops, and call it done.

You might go through CV's, but so what. Axles are cheap.

You're a welder... fabricate something!

Also, FYI... If RX springs will fit on a brat, there is no reason KING springs won't. They are both Gen3 fitment (EA82).

And, brats don't have springs in back... but you can somewhat easily swap in EA82 rear coilovers instead of the shocks. And, run KING springs on the EA82 rear coilovers.

Also, FYI... If RX springs will fit on a brat, there is no reason KING springs won't. They are both Gen3 fitment (EA82).

Has anyone tried this cause it's not a bad idea for a suspension only lift? Might be more expensive but might be easier for some to find. What other choices are there to lift the suspension alone besides strut tops and RX springs?