Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a little difference-- OEM Thermostat

The FNG

So, I know that this is a big deal here on the board, so I thought I'd throw in my $.02. I am in the middle of doing a head gasket change on my Loyale and wanted to show the difference between the Subaru OEM thermostat and the NAPA version which I can only assume is the same at other parts stores. If you ever doubted the difference or questioned whether or not to spend the extra $5.00, I hope this helps make your decision. I think the answer is obvious!:grin:

IMAG0327.jpg

This should be stickied or something because that really IS the difference

and its pretty much the same for the EJ motors as well.

Case in point, found a 98 Forester with bad headgasket, GD brought a gutted OEM thermostat as a temporary fix.

The difference between this OEM gutted and the "MOTORAD/MOTORRAD" thermostat was almost exactly like that, no wonder the OEM ones hold up and the others fail...

Thanks for posting the pic.

Doing a tear down and reseal on a 1991 Loyale this weekend :banana:

Great to suggest a sticky, But even with this picture, people still cheap out. It does not much good to sticky it, it would be like a sticky on using only OEM plug wires, and only NGK plugs, an not using a K&N filter, and to only use OEM dohc ej25 headgaskets, use only OEM intake gaskets, the list is endless. People simply ignore the facts and go cheap. We see threads every day on this type of aftermakrket route and what the failures are and we tell them to go back to oem, and then they reply that they put in Champion plugs cause that is all the parts place had, and it is still missing. So..... sorry i had to bring this up it is important, but appears too many ignore the knowledge of the board.

Edited by bheinen74

Great to suggest a sticky, But even with this picture, people still cheap out. It does not much good to sticky it, it would be like a sticky on using only OEM plug wires, and only NGK plugs, an not using a K&N filter, and to only use OEM dohc ej25 headgaskets, use only OEM intake gaskets, the list is endless. People simply ignore the facts and go cheap. We see threads every day on this type of aftermakrket route and what the failures are and we tell them to go back to oem, and then they reply that they put in Champion plugs cause that is all the parts place had, and it is still missing. So..... sorry i had to bring this up it is important, but appears too many ignore the knowledge of the board.

Oh no no, I totally agree with you.

I will boast all day about the reliability of Subaru... but I do say "its only as good as you treat it"

Yup, I agree also. I was one of those people who was told to go OEM and thought I could be fine with a NAPA part, which is why I have the one in the picture. I look back and wish I could have have saved $10, my sanity, and hours of lost time. That is why I posted the picture and I hope it helps at least one person.

Dang. :eek:

When I did my engine build I just went with the 180* one from Rock Auto (went with a cooler one for desert runs and sand duneing) as it was easy to just throw it on the order with the other parts.

It is like the one on the right. As much as I hate dealing with coolant and getting to the dealer is a hassle and a half for me (I drive by one maybe once a month at about 1am.....). I think I'm gonna go pick one up and do the swap. :)

That reminds me. My factory fan quit. gotta fix that today, been just remembering to flip the switch for the aux one I put in the past week.

A sticky with a list of parts to only get from the dealer wouldn't be a bad idea.

I posted a similar picture years ago on this board showing the difference - no one bothers to search!

GD

id love to see a sticky like that. maybe with a few exceptions for non dealer items or known good useable replacements IE: using fel-pro permatorque HG's and instead of the EA 55amp alternator, use the 90 amp maxima alternator and here's the link to the writeup.

See I have good ideas sometimes.

Partnumbers will be handy too. That way you walk in and say I need ****** instead of "I need *** for an ea82" and the guy just stare at you like they do here.

I have a complete set of 86 FSMs so as long as the numbers didn't change over the years I can assist with that.

Edited by rpholz

You can get oem quality thermostats from napa, when doing EJ motors, I put the oe# in the interchange box, and a real high quality made in japan thermostat pops up and usually in stock. Costs about $20, if you search by make/model, they only show the cheap 5$ ones that fail in about 2 weeks in a ej motor. More convenient than running to the dealer.

One thing not to buy at napa, clutch cable for a brat or other ea81 cars. I got one for my 85 brat about 2 years ago, the clutch very hard to push and the cable broke in about 2 months. Got one from schucks, clutch was easier than ever and no problems since then.

Edited by bobjr94
change

• 2 weeks later...
Well perhaps a sticky of "Stuff you should buy OEM" would inform those who do care what they can slide with and what they should just spend the money on the first time. I would find it useful. Just my. 02

I definitely agree on this. Would make life a lot easier than searching through countless posts trying to get the info right. Also agree on having good quality aftermarket parts alternatives listed as well if applicable.