Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBW not starting. Clicking

+1 to the battery being low.

When was the last time your battery was tested? When was the last time it was replaced? A normal "flooded" battery will only last between 6-8 years, and then after that they usually won't hold a charge for very long.

Try jumping the car to see if it starts. That will let you know if it's the battery or another issue.

But keep in mind that if your battery is too dead, sometimes even jumping them won't start it until a good battery is installed. I just ran into this issue with my neighbors car. He was deployed and his wife didn't start the car for a few months and the battery was old. When I went to start it, I got nothing at all. Tried jumping it, and it would turn the light on and all, but it wouldn't turn the starter over, even while trying to jump it. Installed a new battery, runs like a champ.

Just because the lights work does not mean the battery is fine.. the Starter alone sucks up so much juice.. that's why things turn off in the car like the radio and other stuff (do the radiator fans turn off as well?)

Anyways I had this same issue with a battery brand new from a nameless store I will not speak about.. After i changed it I was fine.

First step is to clean the battery connections. If that doesn't help and the transmission is automatic see if it will start in the neutral position. If that works then the inhibit switch for the starter needs to be checked. You can also try moving the shift lever around in the Park position and see if that helps. If you have a manual tranny then the safety switch on the clutch pedal should be checked.

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of a response. It was actually the starter ignition wire which was unplugged ( wtf, it fell out I guess?). Anyway, while driving to the closest starter/alternator place got into a fender bender. Fortunately I'm ok, though my right strut got crushed. Oh well. :)