Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trike

Reaper

Cons: Older engines' Seals aren't designed for Synthetic Oils, so it could start to Leak with those. Also is more expensive than minerally based oils.

Pros: The oil Change interval could be Extended...

But it only applies if you Drive on Paved Roads Only, because even the Best Sealed & Filtered engine will somehow be affected by Dust or Dirt going to the Oil, so if you Drive Off Road, a Synthetic oil is not a Good Idea.

I Always use Motul 20W~50 Mineral Oil on the EA82 Engine:

PuttinOilonIt.jpg

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Add Picture.

I am not going to make this another "Opinion based" thread, but I will say, your EA82 will love running Conventional 10w-40 year round.

You could run a higher grade of gear oil if you wish, that really won't hurt anything, Royal Purple or Lucas is good for gear oils. And for an ATF, I like to run something for higher milage trans.

Just my two cents. :)

Cheers,

-Tom

I've tested many Gearbox / Differential Oils in the Past, in many cars and in my Own experience with those, Specially with Older Gearboxes or Diffs, The Best oil is the one Reinforced with Molybdene:

Somehow is the Same Black Grease Base that we use on C.V. Joints:

motul_gearbox_80w90_1l.jpg

(Motul 31721L Gearbox 80W-90 Molybdenum Bisulphide

-MoS2- Reinforced Extreme Pressure Gearbox and Differential Lubricant)

This Shiny Black Oil not only makes Quieter any old Gearbox, it also makes Easier Shifting.

Believe me, the Difference is Huge, I Run my Weberized Wagon's 5MT with it since around year 2000 (I usually Change it every three years), also I poured it onto many other Manual Cars with great results.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Add info

I'm running Pennzoil Ultra synthetic oil in my 83 EA81. No problems whatsoever. Don't believe the myths.

Most of the "You can't run synthetic oil if X" myths started in the 80s with the early synthetic oils. They've come a long way since then. There are no downsides to running synthetic in a HEALTHY motor other than the cost.

If your motor already leaks or burns oil, then switching to synthetic could make it worse.

Edited by Splinter