Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My transmission just locked & I creeched to a stop while I was driving down the road. All 4 wheels locked.

All of the sudden while I was driving it started learching, a little like a clutch spring was broken, then it whent away. A mile or so later it happened again only worse. I imediatly put the clutch in, and i slowly lurched to a stop. I started to again and the learching was gone....for a couple hundred feet, and started learching again. I put it in nutural this time, and it slowly learched to a stop. I started of again and again no problems, and once i got up to speed.......SLAM!!!!!......everything locks up and I skid to a stop. The engine is still running, and no codes, but the car won't roll at all.

I get it home and I get all 4 wheels off the ground the front wheels spin oposite eachother, & the back wheels spin oposite eachother.

Can anyone tell me what would make this transmission fail so dramaticly & with so little warning?

This should be in one of the tech. forums and a mod will probably move it for you.

What year and model do you have? It's important for anyone to be able to help you out. My first thought is that your tranny is just bound up but that would thought only works for a full time 4wd. for a part time tranny I haven't a clue sorry.

Assuming a manual transmission.

The center differential spider gear shaft fell out and lodged itself in the case of the transmission.

A worn out main shaft bearing caused excessive backlash in the gear sets which caused extreme wear and eventually binding of the gear teeth until they jammed against each other and locked up completely.

Or two gears could have engaged at the same time also because of a worn main shaft bearing, but I think this type of failure would stall the engine since it would force the input shaft to stop spinning.