Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving in sand.

hey bchbum i noticed your hatch isnt lifted. i know sometimes those ruts can b deep. you had no clearance issues? what kind of tires do you have on that thing? i have a 86 gl-10 turbo wagon with adjustable struts, and i really dont want to lift it. trying to get as much clearance with as little trimming.

lee

I did some experimenting, and learned the hard way that stock 13's made it very easy to get high centered if you weren't paying attention. It was doable, but a little more challenging then I wanted to deal with.

I got lucky and found some 14" wagon wheels from a Dodge D50. 195/75's fit with no rub, and give me that little bit of extra clearance to go wherever I want without issue. I played with the air pressure and figured out 15psi was as high as I could get away with. Works on the beach, and didn't detract from the drivability (much.)

Before with stock wheels:

2641238180057910484S600x600Q85.jpg

After with wagon wheels:

2039671880057910484S600x600Q85.jpg

Finished product: :D

2616483580057910484S600x600Q85.jpg

And on Ocracoke in front of Howard's Pub.......

2130336540057910484S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Edited by BEECHBM69

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the ruts on hatteras can get really deep. my 235/75/15's give me tons of clearance. ive gotten out of some sticky situations and deep soft sand on the point just because of the clearance. but that was mostly my fault. i was trying to light a cigarette while driving and i bounced out of the ruts and got into some super soft, dry stuff.

the ruts on hatteras can get really deep. my 235/75/15's give me tons of clearance. ive gotten out of some sticky situations and deep soft sand on the point just because of the clearance. but that was mostly my fault. i was trying to light a cigarette while driving and i bounced out of the ruts and got into some super soft, dry stuff.

You fit these on ur rig with no lift? How much trimming?

i have a 2 inch lift. its the one at the top of the 3rd page, the white wagon.

and LOTS of bashing in the wheel well. word to the wise: extend your radius rods when you do a 2 in lift, so you don't spend 2 hours on each wheel well with a sledge hammer. it will push the wheel forward a bit and give you some turning radius without bashing the frame rails.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Cool now what I can't figure out is these fees are they just for some areas or all of the outer banks?

It depends on the time of year, I don't know what the rules are. But I looked it up, and I was there in a time of the year when it was free. There's a time when you have to pay, when only residents can drive (or something), and during the summer months nobody can drive on the beach. They don't want tourists getting run over, and more importantly, nesting turtles and stuff in the sand.

It depends on the time of year, I don't know what the rules are. But I looked it up, and I was there in a time of the year when it was free. There's a time when you have to pay, when only residents can drive (or something), and during the summer months nobody can drive on the beach. They don't want tourists getting run over, and more importantly, nesting turtles and stuff in the sand.

Don't see anything for Carova Beach

Don't see anything for Carova Beach

Carova Beach is still free, as it doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service (NPS.)

Anything south of Oregon Inlet will require a pass. Unfortunately even if you have a pass, there is no guarantee the part of the beach you want to visit will be open. All depends on where mama turtle and mama piping plover decided to lay her eggs. :banghead:

Carova can get pretty wild at times due to the isolation, but it's a really nice bunch of folks. Enjoy your time down there.

Dan

Carova Beach is still free, as it doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service (NPS.)

Anything south of Oregon Inlet will require a pass. Unfortunately even if you have a pass, there is no guarantee the part of the beach you want to visit will be open. All depends on where mama turtle and mama piping plover decided to lay her eggs. :banghead:

Carova can get pretty wild at times due to the isolation, but it's a really nice bunch of folks. Enjoy your time down there.

Dan

From what I understand NC 10 will get me here but I can't figure out which way to take to get to NC 10.. I was going to make a trip from Moore county in NC but given the beach location it would take a long time to arrive.

It would be nice to time it for a sunset but from what I hear as well it's very far from anything.. Which meaning I need to find something else to do to pass time for a long trip like that.

From what I understand NC 10 will get me here but I can't figure out which way to take to get to NC 10.. I was going to make a trip from Moore county in NC but given the beach location it would take a long time to arrive.

According to Google maps, NC 64 will carry you straight across to Kitty Hawk. From there it's straight north to Corrolla, where you get on the beach to drive the rest of the way to Carova. Says 5.5 hours, but I don't know about that.

It would be nice to time it for a sunset but from what I hear as well it's very far from anything.. Which meaning I need to find something else to do to pass time for a long trip like that.

There is NOTHING around. Just cottages and the beach. Whatever you need will need to be brought with you, as the closest store is all the way back in Corrolla.

Dan

I will keep that all in mind hopefully on the day I go it's clear since it should be nice.. I wonder how the beach is at night.

You're not supposed to drive on the beach at night.

But beaches are great at night. I've lived for many years in the tropics. And I've spent many a night walking the beach.

You're not supposed to drive on the beach at night.

But beaches are great at night. I've lived for many years in the tropics. And I've spent many a night walking the beach.

Hmm I can't find anything saying you can't drive on the beach at night I mean not that I would want to do that much.. last thing you need to do is get caught by high tide.

I plan on walking the beach should be nice and dark near the water.