Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drumming on the highway

Hey guys! I bought a Subaru and am very happy- well, I was very happy until I had to leave it at a gas station an hour from my house.

Why would I do that?

Well, at highway speeds 60-65 and faster, it would make an intermittent drumming sound, like LOUD, I didn't worry too much about it at first, but it went from every now and then to most all the time and the tempo would change periodically- I finally decided it'd be best to park it and trailer it back. I'm thinking wheel bearings, but those usually squeal or something, this is very bassy like.... drumming, the steering wheel would kind of tremble slightly but the whole car would rattle from it. The sounds coming from passenger side front somewhere - bearings sound about right?

Congratulations for your new Car! ... :) ... So you obtained that Legacy?

if so, this thread should be on the "Newer gen of Subarus" Forums.

More car details needed, but since you used the word: "Drumming" and you wrote that it was "Bassy Like" it could be done by Loose exhaust pipe / Cat.

Kind Regards.

U-joints seizing in the rear driveshaft can do the same thing, and the driveshaft is spinning if your in 4wd or not.

Front CV's can do that, and I've had one start seizing up on me and it shook the steering wheel like a wheel was coming off. I packed it full of wheel bearing grease and duct taped a bread bag around it and it made it 200 miles home.

What brand/type of tires are on it, and what condition are they in?

Mine had severely worn winter tires on it when I picked it up, severe as in

there was cupping on the outer tread blocks. This made a sound similar to what you describe in words on hard top at speeds above 35mph.

Also had bad bearings in the front passenger hub, but that sounded more like a low growling noise.

What brand/type of tires are on it, and what condition are they in?

Mine had severely worn winter tires on it when I picked it up, severe as in

there was cupping on the outer tread blocks. This made a sound similar to what you describe in words on hard top at speeds above 35mph.

Also had bad bearings in the front passenger hub, but that sounded more like a low growling noise.

bridgestone insignia se 200 in 175/70/13s.

They look brand new. Interesting thing- I took my car for an oil change today- didn't do it. I then took my brother for a ride and it started drumming again, this time from passenger rear. I think it's something wacky with the suspension or something.

I wasn't sure what to take pictures of, so I took a couple under the hood, and some under the car - hopefully these help.

gallery

About the car, it's an 88, has about 186,000 miles on it. It started doing the drumming at like 35 miles an hour last time, so it'll do it at low speed.

Edited by PadreScout

you said there some steering wheel shake too?

Hold are the struts/shocks? maybe a bad strut and a slightly out-of-balance tire is bouncing. You could have someone pace the car and monitor wheels.

Or, maybe you could just borrow and entire set of 4 off a buddy/or someone's snow tire set, just to change the dynamics of all the wheels/tires for a test.

not sure if it is just the angle of the pic or what, but pic #6 - looking down on right front axle - it just doesnt look right to me. . . looks like the inner joint is shot & the axle itself is out of alignment. . .

if it is indeed out of whack, that could very well be the source of your "drumming" noise...

Yes, there is some slight wheel shake as well- nothing violent or anything, just that kind of "i ran over a joint in the pavement" kind of ... nudge, that goes with the tempo of the drumming. It tracks straight as an arrow though.

Shocks, yes the shocks are all completely worn out- I have some KYB Excel G shocks ordered. I cannot find the model number to put gas adjusts on all corners , so the Gs should work- they'll sure be better than the blown out things on the machine currently.

Now that it is brought to my attention: Yeah, that axel does look a little wierd. I'm going to run some errands and let it warm up, this afternoon I'll take better pictures and post those.

That axle looks about normal to me - but it's hard to say from pics. Inner axle boots always look a little stretched and those splines in the front arean't usually very tight between the axle and transmission stub.... hard to say.

If you are going to own an EA82 and are going to attempt to track down every rattle, squeek and sproing you hear - you need to invest in one of these. It will save your sanity and help you a tremendous amount when looking for this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Steelman-STE6600-Stethoscope-Squeak-Rattle-Finding/dp/B002XMW02Y

GD

I'm making a list of things to fix/replace that'll hopefully fix the sound up (and generally improve the subby)

I'm going to have the exhaust replaced next week.

I have ordered new shocks and I am currently trying to find springs that fit, in another thread they said the springs from an 89 Honda Accord with AC work, is that front and rear?

As for the possible axel gubbery- I have a buddy that used to do front end work for a living and I have him coming over to poke at that. So I'll get this bad boy all fixed up.

read that, very nice info, but it's a bit confusing in places. for instance, it leaves a bit of doubt in my mind as to which accord springs fit which GL (I think its front accord to rear GL ... but in the 2WD or 4WD?) and I have no idea at all about which Tempo springs fit a 4WD GL at all.

EDIT: Discovered to PO is a bit of a liar, the rear berarings, which he claims to have had redone are REALLY gone and the freaking half inch of play in the wheel is the noise I've been hearing. At least, I hope that's all the noise.