Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sadly my 87 hatchback is dead...

Here's an '86 GL Brat on ebay which is getting close to $4000. It's essentially the same as your '87 wagon except for the body. It would be a stretch to convince the insurance company to use this as a comparable, but both models are similarly rare and hard to find now and NADA has always listed the 3 door hatch as more valuable than the Brat of the same year. It can't hurt to save this information and use it if you need to go to small claims court to recover a fair price for your car.

That being said, ebay is another place to search for comparables for your car. Print out any you find because ebay drops the listing about 3 months after the sale of any car.

Sorry, left out the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Subaru-BRAT-GL-truck-baja-/300631654385?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45ff0afff1#ht_500wt_1131

Edited by edrach

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a little off topic but that Brat for sale looks just like the one McBrat sold. :Flame:

People... :horse:

It was sold out of Iowa; I was wondering if it was his. Maybe.

Doesn't look like his from what I read; unless he sold it back in October and this guy is flipping it. Interesting that he mentions it was originally a California car but it's lived in Iowa since 1995. However, it's one of the cleanest Brats I've seen that has also been on the road and in regular use.

Edited by edrach

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I printed off that ebay ad for the Brat. I have that and the printout of the NADA value so far to present to the insurance company. Anything else would be great if you come across something. Thanks. I also need gas money to possibly drive hundreds of miles away to get my replacement hatch/EA81... :burnout:

Didn't get there tuesday, will try to fit in a visit. Keep searching meantime.

There's a few 'freelance' dealers specializing in Subies, will try to find prices for you there. They're in the mountains of North Carolina.

Another AE81:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2745560433.html

1984 Wagon $1K, auto. At 115K, an example of a 'vintage' or 'granny's Subie'

Edited by kayoteq
link to wagon listing

Another local Brat: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/2746774534.html

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128457 I don't know why I didn't suggest the Cars for sale forum right here on the USMB. If you search far enough you might find some decent comparables. This '85 Hatch in Colorado looks like a decent car to move your parts into. Price is right at $750 although it makes a poor comparable for your case.

Edited by edrach

Another project Hatch: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126793

And another: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126229

This one is 5 pages deep in the Subaru Vehicles for sale forum. Forum is 55 pages deep. Should be some decent comparables in there somewhere.

Edited by edrach

i have an 84 ea81 from a brat i just got. using the shell and interior as donor for my 83 turbo driveline.

let me know if you're still looking. i can freight to arkansas for a reasonable price as i have a freight acct through my shop as well as a friend that does long distance trucking.

shoot me a pm if you're interested.

ryan

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128457 I don't know why I didn't suggest the Cars for sale forum right here on the USMB. If you search far enough you might find some decent comparables. This '85 Hatch in Colorado looks like a decent car to move your parts into. Price is right at $750 although it makes a poor comparable for your case.

that is now mine. I could use some parts from this wrecked one to make mine nicer. My seats are trashed, and could use some other parts, if you part yours out. Your seats have got to be better.

Okay, that was a bit scary. Went by the towing company, not for sale, they don't or won't have info on the hatch ownership. ('It was confiscated', said one fellow)

Oh well, sorry. All I can do is troll the local police auctions when or if it ever comes up. It's been there for at least a year. :(

Thanks kayoteq for trying to get the info. And thanks to everyone else for your help and suggestions. I gotta call the insurance adjuster tomorrow and set up a time for them to come out to inspect the car and insult me with their offer. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Howdy,

I hope you're doing better physically. I'm not sure this will help and I have no 'proof' other than my word but a few years ago (2006) I guy offered to buy my 87 hatch for 3500. I was a bit surprised and then proceeded to search for any similar cars for sale, ugh, not much luck especially in the excellent condition my car is in; if you'd like me to list mine in order to help establish a comparable price, let me know...I don't really want to part with it of course.

M

The only thing that is going to limit payout is prior condition

attachment.php?attachmentid=9187&d=1324257066

there is not looking so good, door, bottom rocker, and quarter panel. it has rot, the tire looks balding. they will not give you full price just alone on the prior condition of the rust/roughness. Now the rest of the car may have been like new interior wise, so that will help offset.

based on my only time dealing with a car i owned got hit by a semi (semi driver pulled into his back quarter going down the interstate at 65mph) when my brother was driving it. Well, the adjuster came out, documented that my car was rust free, had all 4 brand new tires with receipts showing purchase like 2 months prior, new shocks all 4, and shiny clean paint, clean inside, and he gave what the car was worth. he siad if the car had been worn out and rough they would have given like 2/3 less, but the car was nice, the adjuster even commented on yeah, that was a nice one, we will pay you to fix it.

Edited by bheinen74

Well, that is a bad picture of the tires. The tires only have 6000 miles on them and are like new. There is body rot, but that is the ONLY thing wrong with that car. EVERYTHING works, including the A/C. It has a new exhaust on it....and not some rigged up deal either. It is the correct exhaust for that car. Catalytic converter is only 2 years old. New CV axles and wheel bearings. New battery. Windshield is not cracked either. New front ball joints and rear shocks too. Interior is spotless. There is only wear on the front driver seat where the vinyl is cracked, but I have seat covers to cover that up. Car runs like it is brand new with no ticks or noises from the engine. Oil religiously changed every 3000 miles. Get the point? :burnout:

Yes, I have receipts. The whole situation just sucks. I'm going to get a few hundred bucks for a car that has absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some body rust. It has to be one of the last EA81s in the rust belt.
Something I hadn't asked you earlier. Do you have comprehensive insurance on your car? In other words, would you have been covered for damage if you were to collect from your own insurance company? Your own insurance might be more reasonable in determining the "actual cash value" of your car. After collecting from them, they will go after re-imbursement from the other guy's insurance to recover their payments. All depends what you're insured for and how well you know (or can deal with) your own insurance agent.

I don't think there will be reason to post again here, but ALL insurance companies are a scam when it comes to payout time on older cars of this era. We pay insurance to have coverage, (it is the law) and then they say the car is worthless. Yet, why do they charge so much for a monthly premium when they have no intention of ever paying a claim on one. scam

• 1 month later...

Just never cash the check if its less than you want. Cashing it is their way of knowing you accept the deal they offer you. They have three years to pay up and they have to settle within that time by law. Ed Rach knows his stuff. Have them find you a replacement and fix it after purchase. :cool: They might have to ship you a west coast car.