Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 97 Impreza OBS that has been "losing" coolant for a couple of weeks now. What appears to be happening is that when the engine is hot it is spitting far too much coolant into the overflow/expansion bottle which then overflows. Then when it cools down again there isn't enough coolant to re-fill the radiator. I'm planning to swap the radiator cap but is there anything else I should be considering?

You have likely blown headgaskets, the exhaust gases are mixing into the coolant chambers and blowing your exhaust gases out the overflow, instead of out the tailpipe.

Your engine is not supposed to do that one.

was there any recent coolant flushing? You could have a bad cap, or a trapped air bubble, but repetedly buddling out the overflow is bad.

Change your radiator cap with a new one to start.

On a cold car, fill the radiator, and put coolant in the overflow to the mark.

Start car.

Let warm up like 5 minutes, then pop hood, and open cap to the overflow jar. Look down in with a flashlight.

Do you see lots of bubbles when the car is running?

Edited by bheinen74

A 2.2 you can do in the car. ALthough I always pull them.

I think you do a better job with it pulled. And can reseal the baffle plate and stuff while you're at it.

Hard in my opinion to make SURE surfaces are good and remain clean during assy with the block in the car. To me it's just easier to pull the engine. And take advantage of that to do any other work. Like perhaps check the clutch if a stick, etc.

2.2's don't usually cause the "bubbles in the overflow" though. That's a classic 2.5 symptom.

When I came home earlier this afternoon I checked the level immediately without shutting it off and the level in the reservoir was very high and there was obvious signs of spillage. I think I did note a few bubbles but just a few. A couple minutes after shutting it off the reservoir was nearly empty.

When cold if you open the rad cap do you see coolant?

Yes. Just changed the cap. Coolant was a bit warm but not hot and the rad was full. Took it for a very short spin and will take a longer drive in about an hour to see what it does.

I'm about done for the night.

But has any work been done recently? I'm leaning towards the burping question. WOndering if air got into the system by somehting other than HG's and is still stuck in there basically.

Because properly draining to make sure it's burped is a little messy. And if you don't know it has an OEM thermostat that would be hte time ot change that - or the fancy NEWSTYLE upgraded Stant (the basic Stand replacement is really wimpy).

I'm about done for the night.

But has any work been done recently?

Nope, nothing but oil changes for 50K+ (I'm at 180K). I did notice some "gurgling" noise after shutting off the engine earlier which I now believe may have been coolant boiling off due to a stuck open rad cap. I just took it for a drive (about 10 miles each way) on the freeway with the new cap and so far so good. I've got a much tougher drive tomorrow, about 60 miles down the mountain and 60 miles back up so if I don't end up coming back on the back of a tow truck it's probably fixed :)

Nope, nothing but oil changes for 50K+ (I'm at 180K). I did notice some "gurgling" noise after shutting off the engine earlier which I now believe may have been coolant boiling off due to a stuck open rad cap. I just took it for a drive (about 10 miles each way) on the freeway with the new cap and so far so good. I've got a much tougher drive tomorrow, about 60 miles down the mountain and 60 miles back up so if I don't end up coming back on the back of a tow truck it's probably fixed :)

I have a 96 2.5. Every time after I changed coolant and burped the system in the past 15 years, I used a modified radiator cap (for a few days) which essentially functions as a stuck-open cap. This way more trapped air can bleed out as I drive the car. I can tell you that, with a properly functioning cooling system (as mine), a stuck-open radiator cap will not cause the coolant to overflow the plastic reservoir (if the coolant level with a cold engine is right at the full line). The reservoir will show a coolant level about 1-2 inches higher than normal with a hot engine, but will not push coolant out of the reservoir. When I shut down the engine with the modified cap on, I've never heard any gurgling sound as you described. Of course, changing to a good cap is always a good trouble-shooting step.

a stuck-open radiator cap will not cause the coolant to overflow the plastic reservoir

We aren't talking about a stuck-open cap. We are talking about a seal or spring that can't hold full pressure. Your's never develops pressure - a failed cap will develop some pressure but not hold the full 13psi that the system is designed to run at.

I've personally seen failed caps cause this exact symptom. One of my customers experienced it not long ago - I got a call to come look at her car because it was overheating - I got there and coolant had overflowed the bottle. I filled it up and ran it to operating temp and coolant could be clearly seen running out of the overflow tube into the bottle. I cleaned the cap seal and got it to stop even though the seal was pitted and cracked. Replacing the cap the next day solved the problem and it's been fine for about a year since then.

GD

This can also be due to a worn water pump bearing;at high RPMs air is drawn in, over-pressurizing the system and blowing out the coolant. A water pump is much less effort and expense than head gaskets, so it's worth checking. A very slow leak of coolant when standing can result in big problems at high RPMs since air is much less viscous than coolant.

Well, it looks like the radiator cap was it. I drove around 120 miles total with about 3000ft of elivation change each way and the temp stayed rock solid with no fluid loss. Thanks to everybody for all the help.:D

It sucks it through the worn bearing. It's a simple sleeve bearing, so clearance develops as it wears. The area around the inside of the bearing is low pressure, so air is sucked in. This isn't just an idea - I've had it happen to me. Mine really let go, and was able to blow out most of the coolant in less than a minute at highway speeds.