Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i want to cry!!!

'Totaled' is almost a meaningless term with these old Subarus. I've seen near-mint old-lady cars at auction that were 'totaled' by insurance companies for a broken tail light and a paint scratch across two panels. :banghead:

A shell that clean could certainly be rebuilt. It might cost "more than it is worth" to an insurance company, but that's because they think these cars are worthless. :-\

yes i hear you there i have 2 other parts cars and i will end up fixing it but right now i hate to even look at it if ya know what i mean...worsti can see is the shock tower is bent and the unibody crinkled back bout an inch but i think it will be fine

Yeah, it's hard to look at. :-\

Can you take a picture of that side with the hood open?

It's a bit hard to tell what all is damaged. The fender looks bad, but it looks like it got damaged from being pushed up and out by the wheel - and not necessarily by being forced backwards. The bumper is the same way - twisted for sure, but that might have saved some of the panels underneath.

yes we were ok thankfuly...tried to go up seasonal road got to the top and skated all the way back down to the bottom,hit a culvert cought some airtime:eek: and ended up in a 3 foot ditch........then @#$% my pants.....

cant say it was one of my best ideas

cant say it was one of my best ideas

Hehe now that's funny. I grew up near you. New Lebanon. I remember when the thruway bridge over the scoharie creek collapsed. If you are 21, that would have been about 5 years before you were born. Did you just change your location? I thought it said scoharie, which I may have spelled wrong.

You know, I only live about 3 hours away from you.

Maybe one of these days when it starts getting warmer out and you have some work set up to do on the cars I can drive up there and lend a hand.

Sorry about the wagon, though. It doesn't look *too* bad. Try and get us some more pictures.

If worse comes to worst hopefully the engine is unharmed and you can just throw it in another well kept car.

I can see the axle popped off the transmission. That may be fixable if the only things busted there are the axle itself and the roll pin.

I can see other parts of the control arm hanging down, but it's difficult to tell whether the frame was destroyed when they broke loose, or the suspension. If the body is ok, you can straighten the fender, replace the bumper, and put new suspensions bits in. If the frame has a hole ripped in it, though, it'd probably be cheaper and faster to take the insurance money and get a new body and move your motor over.

Got any pictures of underneath and/or under the hood we could take a peek at?

Edited by man on the moon

e75eya yes i would like to get together some day with you no one around here has any subys they are hard to find here....and no holes rippped i think i can bolt the suspension parts back in with a new strut control arm tierod etc..only other thing major i see is the cores pushed back and fans rubbing on timing cover...i am going to look at another one today i will post pics if i bring her home

Looks like the ball joint ripped out of the knuckle or the knuckle broke, so the strut rod and control arm are still attached to the frame. They're both bent though. Should be pretty easy to swap that corners worth of suspension in from a parts car, then use a tree and strap to pull the front back out.

Based on looking at your hood now, the front Driver frame rail is bent upward at least 7 inches. That is frame that is not going to be very easy to straiten. It will require a frame machine, not simply a tree and straps.

The nose is twisted, I can see it in the pics. If the hood fit down to the passenger light, then the left side is about 7 inches or so too high for the hood to sit closed.

Not going to be easy or cheap to fix that. When you slammed the wheel and tire into the ditch, it was enough to snap and bend that, but also your speed was enough to continue into the frame as well. You hit hard to do that.

If you look hard enough, i bet you see evidence of some buckling on the top of the roof middle above the seat belt anchors too.

Edited by bheinen74

Holy Cow! ... That was a very Hard Hit for sure... But is Still Fixable, if you have the Right Tools and Help.

Could I Kindly ask How much a Repair shop will ask in USA to realign the Hardest part, I mean the Rails and engine bay internals?

Maybe isn't too much and you can Continue swapping the Rest.

In my Country, a Shop will ask around Lps. 1,500.ºº (Lempiras, our currency) equals to seventy five US Dollars ($ 75.ºº) More or Less.

But also, a used car is Expensive here.

Kind Regards.

And I know you're grieving and I'm sorry to ask so soon, but if it does go to a yard, could you let me know? I need a windshield...

Don't mean to be insensitive. I'm sorry for your loss. I'd be pretty upset.

Hopefully my over-cautious way of asking made you laugh lol

Would definitely be up to taking a drive up there when I had the chance by the way, just let me know a bit in advance when/if you have some projects coming up :clap:

Holy Cow! ... That was a very Hard Hit for sure... But is Still Fixable, if you have the Right Tools and Help.

Could I Kindly ask How much a Repair shop will ask in USA to realign the Hardest part, I mean the Rails and engine bay internals?

Maybe isn't too much and you can Continue swapping the Rest.

In my Country, a Shop will ask around Lps. 1,500.ºº (Lempiras, our currency) equals to seventy five US Dollars ($ 75.ºº) More or Less.

But also, a used car is Expensive here.

Kind Regards.

WOW that's cheap!!

Friend of mine was T-boned in his 06ish STi. The guy's insurance payed for it, but it came out to about $2000 just in frame work alone.