Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Latest Brat score! 1982 DL Brat

Just picked it up for $800, runs and drives with over 300,000 on the original drivetrain, bought it from second owner, who bought it in 1983 with 8,000 miles on it :brow: Has a vintage Bushman nudge bar on it, which I will be cleaning up and selling soon. Its in pretty good shape except for some serious rust in the bed, but i have replacement bed panels for it from a donor. Needs some TLC, but Im stoked to finally be back in a Gen 2 Brat, and with no T-tops! Build thread to come sooner or later, but for now it will prolly just get a Weber carb from my old red Brat, and the tires from it as well.

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Crappy night pics, better ones to come for sure!

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive
broken links

"Its in pretty good shape except for some serious rust in the bed"

I have opinion that I would rather have your serious rust than my rotted 84 BRAT.

Yours looks nice compared to what we get here. That bed and shock tower and side walls look solid.

Well, compared to the rust you guys have in the midwest, it's nothing... But its worse than any of the rust was on my '86 Brat.

-Bill

Moar Pictars :cool:

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

sime of the most obviuos Rust

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

Looks like it was almost always serviced with Subaru parts, even has a Subaru battery in it :brow: Also has 4 black center cal/master wheels, with rusty hubcaps.

The nudge bar will fit the later 83-87 Brats and all other EA81 cars. It has little notches to fit over the chrome bar under the bumper on the later models.

I think I'm going to build this one up similar to my old one, with the stacks and lift and bumpers and everything, then paint it black with orange graphics. Kinda interesting that it has a grey interior, most every other silver or grey bodied Subaru I've ever seen had a blue interior...

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

Nice brat. Not to take focus off of your new ride but u said the bull bar has notches for the chrome bar, what is the chrome bar for? Mine is toast and I'm not gonna replace it if it's just cosmetic. Anyways nice car.......truck....... Ya I want one lol

It was pretty much just for looks I think, but it would also kinda take some of the hit before the lower radiator support became thoroughly trashed in that kind of situation.

-Bill

Got it cleaned up a bit, and got that awful side trim and rocker trim removed, so it's looking much better now. But, the bed floor is a complete loss. Serious cancer throughout, I'm going to have to cut the floor out from part way up the back wall of the cab all the way to below the hinge mounts for the tailgate and replace it with a better one I have in a parts car, but that project is a ways off yet.

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

Also, the passenger door has some serious rot lurking just beneath the paint, I can hear it crunch when I push on it...

A few things I want to get for it are a good, rust free door, from a Hatch or a Brat, with ot without glass, a grey non-cracked GL dash, and red instruments and panel switches from an 82 Subaru with the grey interior. I like the GL dash better than the DL style, but if you have a nice un-cracked DL grey dash I'd take that too.

-Bill

Here is pretty much what I want this Brat to be, at least for a while, until I paint it flat black and the graphics orange. For now though the black will look excellent on the silver.

scan0001.jpg

I just did it up quick like with a pencil on a pic of my old Brat. I added the roll bar and lights I want too :brow: So now I have a good picture of what Im shooting for.

-Bill