Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had a low mileage 2.2 engine put in my 1999 Legacy Outback, with an original 2.5 engine after going through a head gasket job that brought up the compression to create new problems necessitating another engine. The problem here is I have not been able to pass emissions here in Connecticut. I brought it to J and J which has serviced this vehicle for the duration, but did not put in the used 2.2 engine; that was done by a Subaru repair facility in Lyndonville, VT.

We have already spent a lot of time trying to bring the car up to code with parts changing without getting the emissions to pass. Paul says it is an electrical short in the map sensor that would have to be trouble shooted.

Does anyone know if these problems are standard with 2.5 to 2.2 conversions and what is the usual successful path on this? Thanks.

The garage just tells me it is coming up as the map sensor even though it has been changed. The state requires a clean check engine light, i.e. not on. Also, they put in a used cat converter which is also coming up on the code. The state grants a waiver on $600 or more of repairs toward emissions.

Probably. Do you think the mechanic is going to say "maf" if everyone is used to "map" sensor?

Ask him! They are different sensors and obviously your EJ22 needs the correct one (whichever one it is) to function properly. :)

Your problem as I see it is that your low mileage 2.2 engine is going to have to meet the emissions for the 99 model year. I'm not sure about Subaru's but other vehicles have problems when you put a older engine into a newer vehicle.

There is a MAP sensor on MAF cars, it's mounted to the passenger side strut tower and has a vacuum hose running from the intake manifold over to it. They could have screwed up the hose routing during the swap. The hose runs over to a vacuum switching valve, and then a short piece of hose between that and the MAP sensor. The VSV switches the vacuum signal to the MAP sensor between manifold vacuum and atmospheric pressure.

There are no OBDII issues generated by a DOHC 2.5l to phase1 SOHC 2.2l swap if the EGR system is retained, AKA the 2.2l came from an auto trans car.

The cat code (I'm assuming P0420) could be caused by a faulty front 02 sensor. You can "fix" it using a drilled out spark plug anti-fouler on the rear sensor to fool the computer, but try replacing the front sensor first.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to get the technical information from J and J and post here. The miles per gallon have been falling since the job was done a couple of years ago. I was at over 440 per tank, we are now lucky to get 360 a tank. J and J said that the garage that did the job, Nuremberg in Lyndonville, VT (South end auto) might be able to help.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to get the technical information from J and J and post here. The miles per gallon have been falling since the job was done a couple of years ago. I was at over 440 per tank, we are now lucky to get 360 a tank. J and J said that the garage that did the job, Nuremberg in Lyndonville, VT (South end auto) might be able to help.

How the heck do you get that many miles on a tank? those are miles not km's right? Do you run it completely empty all the time? 440/15.9 gal tank is almost 28mpg, so you would have to run it dry right?

Edited by danbennett2u

When it was first installed it was extremely fuel efficient, the 2.2 is a much better engine in that regard. Actually when my reserve tank warning light was working, it would let you know when you were 20 or so miles from running out.

The best I ever did with a tank, one of the older Subarus I owned was over 500 miles. I also used "Platinum gasaver" which gives the engine a hit of platinum vapors and rhenium gas. Not supposed to work according to the experts but apparently did!

Here in CT they don't tailpipe sniff but just read the OBDII and away you go.

If this EJ22 is readable via OBDII, what are the codes?

this sir is not true lol :)

my 95 required a sniffing..... passed with FLYING COLORS...but still they probed my poor soob

Check engine light has been on the whole time. O2 unit did not come up on the diagnostic by the mechanic. Only map/maf sensor and cat converter and EGR. Would a Subaru dealer be able to do the diagnostic right without charging me $$$? I have brought the Subaru back 3X to J and J without success.

I just got back from Auto Zone where I had the man there run the code check for both the 2.2 and 2.5; same result.

PO106 (map sensor)

PO420 (cat. converter or O2 sensor?)

P1143 (undefined)

Anyone have guidance on the next step?

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

PO106 (map sensor)
the map is on the passenger strut tower and is connected to the intake manifold by small black ''vac'' tube/s. there is supposed to be a small filter in the middle of the hose run. check to make sure it is there and that all the hose connection are tight.

Causes

A P0106 could be caused by:

• Bad MAP sensor
  • Water/dirt intrusion affecting MAP sensor connector
  • Intermittent open in the reference, ground, or signal wire for the MAP sensor
  • Intermittent short in the reference, ground, or signal wire for the MAP sensor
  • Ground problem due to corrosion causing intermittent signal problem
  • A break in the flexible air intake duct between the MAF and the intake manifold
  • Bad PCM (do not assume the PCM is bad until you've exhausted all other possibilities)

Possible Solutions

Using a scan tool, watch the MAP sensor value with the key on, engine off. Compare the BARO reading with the MAP reading. They should be roughly equal. The voltage for the MAP sensor should read approx. 4.5 volts. Now start the engine and look for a significant drop in the MAP sensor voltage indicating the MAP sensor is working.

If the MAP reading doesn't change perform the following:

1. With the Key on, engine off, disconnect the vacuum hose from the MAP sensor. Using a vacuum pump, pull 20 in. of vacuum on the MAP sensor. Does the voltage drop? It should. If it doesn't inspect the MAP sensor vacuum port and vacuum hose to manifold for a restriction of some kind. Repair or replace as necessary.
  2. If there are no restrictions, and the value doesn't change with vacuum, then perform the following: with the Key on and engine off and the MAP sensor unplugged, check for 5 Volts at the reference wire to the MAP sensor connector with a Digital Voltmeter. If there is none, check for reference voltage at the PCM connector. If the reference voltage is present at the PCM connector but not the MAP connector, check for open or short in the reference wire between MAP and PCM and retest.
  3. If reference voltage is present, then check for existing ground at the MAP sensor connector. If it isn't present then repair open/short in the ground circuit.
  4. If ground is present, then replace MAP sensor.

Other MAP sensor trouble codes include P0105, P0107, P0108 and P0109.

PO420 (cat. converter or O2 sensor?)
typically this is the front o2 sensor. bet one online from subaru. the next step would be to replace the rear o2 sensor. that one can be generic, cheaper. or it could also be an exhaust leak.

Causes

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
  • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
  • Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
  • Retarded spark timing
  • The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Possible Solutions

Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 error code include:

• Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
  • Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
  • Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
  • Replace the catalytic converter

See also: P0420.com

P1143 (undefined)
P1143 Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input

i'm not sure what ''pressure'' they are talking about, but usually ''circuit'' codes are wiring related. maybe this is MAP related. does any one know?

Edited by johnceggleston

The MAP sensor code should be simple to diagnose - this is childs play. These J and J jokers obviously haven't got a clue.

You need a scanner that can read the live data from the sensor. This can be as simple as a bluetooth to OBD-II adaptor from ebay ($25) and the Torque application ($4.99) for any Android device (that has bluetooth). Or as complicated as one of the Snap-On diagnostic centers that cost $8,000. You just need something that can show the live data from the sensor. It should be about 20 in/Hg at idle. Either there is an electrical issue, or the vacuum hoses are hooked up wrong, or the sensor is dead.

Again - this is totally simple to diagnose.

The catalyst effeciency code can be bad sensors (front or rear or both), bad cat's, exhaust leaks, missing heat sheilds, etc. Also a simple fix - thread the secondary sensor into a drilled-out 18mm spark plug non-fouler from the HELP! section of the autoparts store and be on your way.

The P1143 is probably telling you that the MAP code is due to a bad sensor, or wiring plug at the sensor, or pinched wire, etc, etc.... Just have to LOOK with your EYES!

GD

Thanks for the information.

I will probably go to the local dealer since J and J may not be that competent but they are better than I am with technical diagnosis.

I bought this car from Latinos in Bridgeport for $3000; they got it from a Sikorski worker for $1200 who had gotten red flag diagnostics from his mechanic, head gasket, etc.; they ran head gasket in a can through the engine and "solved" the problem temporarily which later manifested.

J and J did a head gasket job on it for $1500, which brought up the compression so a bad crank manifested. At that point I had another garage install a 2.2 for around $1500. The tranny went bad due to lack of fluid, which they should have checked when I paid them for a tranny maintenance. It has been OK since I had a replacement.

Edited by ThosL

I stopped at a dealer in Brattleboro, VT who has no time until next week. Also, a recommended repair place, also booked up until next week. Anyone know someone good at diagnostics in this area who is not busy, busy, busy?

• 1 year later...

Just adding this to a bunch of PO420 threads to help future Searchers:

Just a couple of data points to toss in for those suffering the
occasional PO420 CEL.  My car is a 2001 Forest with 120k miles on
her....yes, she is a Lesbaru.

My CEL PO420 has been coming on
about thrice per year lately.  I plug in my CEL Scanner and erase the
code and drive on my merry way.  Since we do limited, mostly city
driving, it can take a while for Emissions Test Ready reset cycle to
complete.....so you can pass inspection.  This month, it took about 189
miles and nearly 3 weeks of driving to get the pending PO420 to turn off
and the Emissions Ready Green Light to appear in my CEL Code Scanner. 
Then it passed inspection no problem.

Your problem as I see it is that your low mileage 2.2 engine is going to have to meet the emissions for the 99 model year. I'm not sure about Subaru's but other vehicles have problems when you put a older engine into a newer vehicle.

Same here in WA as well. I think it is actually some sort of law too... We were going to drop a 427 from a 60's era vette into a 80's camaro until we figured out we couldnt get it titled if we did that. No idea what ever became of that project....