Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 Impreza wagon with a saggy rear, more noticeable with passengers or gear in the back. It doesn't bottom out with any tire rub, but just looks bad. Is this due to bad struts, bad springs, or both? The struts are sold without springs, so that's why I was wanting to figure it out. Obviously I don't want to buy more than I need to.

I'm familiar with the strut assembly setup, but I find struts without springs sold in auto parts stores. I didn't know if the strut or the spring was responsible for sag. It wouldn't make sense to put old springs on new struts if the springs were causing the saggy butt.

if your 99 has it's original struts, they are all but certain to be weak.(my wife's 03 OBW was 8 years old with only 65K miles and had a blown rear strut - lift the boot and feel oil on top) There is a little gas 'springiness' to them, but not a lot.

If your car seems 'saggy' when completely empty, it's springs might be worn out. More likely if you know the car has been operated a lot overloaded or at/near max load.

You could, plan to swap the struts (KYB highly recommended by many but other options are available), when you have the springs off, compare their 'free length' to new spring dimensions. But, if you find they have sagged, you will need to quickly locate your replacements cause the car will be down until you get replacement springs.

dunno about fitment(anyone?), but I have some near-new (<900 miles) 06 WRX wagon springs in my attic.

Likely both are worn out. The springs are what holds the car up, so if it looks low the springs are definitely worn. If you regularly carry lots of people or heavy item in the cargo area (tools, parts, fire wood) look into a set of heavy duty springs.

Saggy butt spacers are an option as well, but spacers only offer a small amount of lift usually 1/2" - 3/4", rather than increased load capacity and longer spring life that you'll get from heavy duty springs. Although, if you have ~150k miles on the current springs, a set of stock replacement springs will probably last until the car is ready for the dirt nap.

Definitely get new struts with the new springs, at least for the back.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I already have a pair of new KYB struts, but they did not come with the springs, which is why I was asking. I will look into finding some replacement springs. Since my Impreza is the Outback Sport option, are these still the same springs as other Impreza wagons?

I also had looked at the saggy butt spacers and will probably add some all around the car for a 1/2" lift. But, if I'm messing with the struts in the back, I might as well do the job right and replace them.

dunno about fitment(anyone?), but I have some near-new (<900 miles) 06 WRX wagon springs in my attic.

If they indeed are compatible, would WRX lower my ride height? I don't pretend I'm a Jeep or anything, but I do hit dirt roads and the occasional creek crossing in my OBS. PM me a price, please.

OK, it looks like my springs either flat-out won't work for you, or would require some new parts and a lot of 'finagling' according to this

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303381

^^^but that looks like a decent resource for you - lots to read though.

also, I found this;http://boardreader.com/thread/wrx_lowering_springs_on_obs_struts_ym8X2sbh.html

might have some good info in there somewhere.

maybe someone will post here with actual experience doing what you need.