Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Marketing Research on Subaru parts suppliers

What is your preferred way of purchasing new parts?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred way of purchasing new parts?

• Local Dealer parts counter
    • Online dealer parts websites
    • Large Chain Auto Parts Store (Napa, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc)
    • Ebay
    • Subaru Specialty Shop

I need some information for my graduate studies. I am working on getting my Masters of Business Administration degree and am doing a course project.

I need to know which option you would most likely choose if you needed parts for your Subaru. You can also write in another choice by reply if you wish and we would love it if you commented if you want to as far as why you buy from the supplier you chose.

I have two sources that I use most often - my local dealer, and a specialty "Import" parts house that buys only high quality Japanese aftermarket parts - Tama thermostat's, NTN idlers, tensioners, and bearings, Koyo, etc....

Most of that stuff actually are the same as the dealer parts but at a discount over what the dealer charges.

I have business accounts with both.....

So I'm not sure how to vote - since my buying is split. Usually I favor the aftermarket (but it's mostly OEM so not quite the same thing) but for some things I go straight to the dealer. Really depends. I would never buy a 90 to 99 alternator from my import parts source because the dealer is $75 for those... for example.

I need an "I always buy the highest quality at the lowest price" voteing option :confused:

GD

Happy to oblige! I deal almost exclusively with Jason at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn, WA. Good guy, very pleasant, extremely knowledgable and always seems to have the best prices. What more could a Subie lover want?

And good for you, Shawn--go get that MBA! :banana:

A combination of all of them. Just depends on what I'm looking for and who has it or can get it at a reasonable (to me) price. I do end up at the dealer about once e a month though it seems. Although I did just get my last two Subaru parts purchases from Autozone...

Local parts counter at SubaruPartsForYou.com.

It's a 30 minute drive but they offer on-line pricing and I have the parts in hand. Anthony or John at the counter will help with any look-ups or special orders so I don't need to rely on my meager knowledge.

Good luck Shawn. Hope you don't leave us for corporate.

Rockauto seems to be the best deal for parts you can get for close to if not actual OEM, I just got two radiator hoses there for example and they had actual Goodyear ones from a supplier who had surplus (here in Houston, came in like two days) and they were only 4.50 apiece, can't beat that.

For real Sube parts I'd love to go to the local dealer(s) but they are either way on the opposite west or north sides of town, or even farther in Katy TX. The one that used to be 15 mins. near me in Dickenson (McRee) closed down after hurricane Ike, so that is a continual loss. They were real good about cheap service, suggestions too.

So actually considering the gas cost to drive to local Subaru dealers it's easier and cheaper for me to order from this place:

http://www.mikescarffsubaru.com/index.htm

They used to be I think Auburn Subaru, that also had the website

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

But somehow that site must have gotten bought out by another Sube dealer in the Seattle area. Anyways, through some research I found the Mike Scarff subaru place and Jason, the online parts guy who used to work for the old Auburn place. I guess Scarff bought out the old dealer, but not the website.

But Jason is always helpful and really knows his parts, always gives me a good discount as I mention that I'm an old customer etc. (The parts I just recently got for my timing belt change were the first I'd gotten from him in probably 6 years.)

But I also go local, for example there's a great machine shop in Alvin that is negotiable on labor, (but not nearly as cheap as the new guy I found in New Caney.) But they have a parts place in house, so for things like brakes, which they can evaluate/turn rotors right there, I've gotten Wagner calipers when needed there as an example.

Hi Shawn,

I'll use them all as well. Chain stores for mostly fluids and supplies expensive to ship.

Online, primarily RockAuto and Lancaster County Motors Subaru http://subaru.partsestore.com/?siteID=216358 (cheap shipping), sometimes Amazon and eBay.

Have been utilizing my local dealer more lately, as they will match online dealer pricing.

JY, the board, and specialty shops for hard to find, vintage, and quality used parts.

Best of luck with the project!