Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 H6 wagon - Steps for getting A/C working again

Last summer A/C worked fine. This summer not blowing cold air and I can see that the compressor is not turning on. I swapped the relay with some of the other fan relays and no change so I think the relay is fine.

I also ran the self-diagnostics and it showed everything fine.

What is the next step up the ladder? Recharge? If there is a leak will this disable the compressor from turning on?

Thanks in advance.

It is most likely simply low on refrigerant, my 03 H6 needed a can at 160,000 or so. If it doesn't last a season or two I'll chase down where the leak is.

It could be other problems, such as the rev sensor or even the clutch itself.

First step is to get a gauge on the low-pressure side, I have to imagine you could get a garage to just check that and then do nothing more for not much money.

If it has enough pressure that it should be running, try pressing on the A/C clutch/pulley with a stick of wood, try to force the plates together. If it runs when you apply pressure the clutch needs to be maybe cleaned, maybe needs to have a shim removed.

FIRST step is to verify how much, if any, refrigerant is in the system. have you checked it?

the compressor won't come on if there's low pressure. very common.

so far i've fixed a number of that era H6 air conditioning systems inexpensively with ease.

You may want to read my write up - takes 15 minutes and less than a dollar (not counting the refrigerant):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132408

FIRST step is to verify how much, if any, refrigerant is in the system. have you checked it?

the compressor won't come on if there's low pressure. very common.

so far i've fixed a number of that era H6 air conditioning systems inexpensively with ease.

You may want to read my write up - takes 15 minutes and less than a dollar (not counting the refrigerant):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132408

Gosh, wished this existed last year when my A/C took a dump on my STi.

Great write up. I'll replace the o-rings this weekend. Thanks!

if you do this you may release any refrigerant that is in the system. anf if the system is holding pressure then the o-rings are not leaking. so checking the pressure in the system first is not a bad idea. even if you use one of those refill cans that comes with a cheesy gauge.

AC folks will fuss if you release that stuff into the atmosphere and also if you refill with out pulling a vacume but such is life.

my 01 H6 came with a non-working AC last year (159k miles). i recharged it and got nothing. it turned out my compressor was bad. so i replaced that and recharged it again replacing 0-rings as i went.

works great now.