Ultimate Subaru Message Board

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-99-Subaru-Forester-Impreza-Legacy-2-5-Liter-EJ25-DOHC-Full-Gasket-Set-/260854361288?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CSubmodel%3AOutback&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbc21acc8#ht_2842wt_1037

Message them and ask if they have the MLS (Multi Layer Steel) head gaskets, or if they'll discount the kit without the HGs. Mizumo is a great seller and I have had 0 issues with their products in 5 years of using them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-99-Subaru-Forester-Impreza-Legacy-2-5-Liter-EJ25-DOHC-Full-Gasket-Set-/260854361288?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CSubmodel%3AOutback&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbc21acc8#ht_2842wt_1037

Message them and ask if they have the MLS (Multi Layer Steel) head gaskets, or if they'll discount the kit without the HGs. Mizumo is a great seller and I have had 0 issues with their products in 5 years of using them.

anyone else like the Mizumo stuff? I found this from them that has the head bolts too. If nothing is good as far as gaskets go, could I at least go with some head bolts from ebay? that would even save me a lot for just those.

anyone else like the Mizumo stuff? I found this from them that has the head bolts too. If nothing is good as far as gaskets go, could I at least go with some head bolts from ebay? that would even save me a lot for just those.

Unless you've done HGs before, you don't NEED to replace the headbolts. They're fine to re use once. Probably more than once, but I'd feel better replacing them every other time due to the amount of torque applied to them.

The dispute if Subaru head bolts are or are not torque to yield is as old as the sands of time. I've only replaced one set ever and that was actually due to significant corrosion on them; not over stretch. Someone should figure that out some time.

Edited by cal_look_zero

well one of the head bolts was full of oil where it was leaking and we're thinking that may be where the leak was actually coming from and not so much the head gasket. Just figuring we'll replace everything while we're in there.

Btw this whole project is a long story, but one morning a couple weeks ago I just got on the interstate going to work in the morning and I heard a pop and the engine sputtered and died. Figured the timing belt snapped (I've had this car since about 130k now has 143k, figured it was never replaced, and now probably due for it again anyway). got it apart and found the belt was actually still in one piece, worn, but in one piece. An idler pulley seized and ripped apart, so same effect. We replaced all the pulleys and the water pump and got the timing set straight but still wouldn't start (we were just hoping no damage to the engine). compression test showed no compression in one cylinder and low in another. pulled the head and sure enough there are 2 badly bent exauhst valves in the one and slightly in the other. So in short I am replacing the gaskets while everything is apart, but the budget is stretched pretty thin. We're doing the labor ourselves, anyway so its just the parts cost, at least.

ok,these are MLS, but they dont have the head bolts with them, but I can always get them separate. If they are any goo, sounds like a good deal...

It's your call. If you're that hard up to save money, and it's your only option, then go for it. If you take your time, deck everything to within a gnats rump roast of perfect, and don't skip steps; you'll probably have no issues. But you're not saving much money over using OEM.

JUNK.

Aren't you listening to us?

Get the EJ255/EJ257 HG's from the DEALER.

You DO NOT need head bolts. They are not a wear item and NEVER replaced. Subaru does not recommend replacement unless damaged.

GD

I'm listening, just trying to explore all my options. I'm worried about my bolts because I think one of them IS damaged. it is covered in oil/junk and the head gasket didn't look like it was directly to blame, possibly.

Does $70 sound too cheap for just the HG's oem for ej255/7? Those gaskets will just fit right in, right?

Head bolts do not enter any part of the block that is under oil pressure. Oil in one of the bolt holes could be from assembly, or from a leak between the head gasket and block/head, or it can leak in under the washer at the top. But oil on the bolts doesn't matter. Clean the bolts, spray the crud out of the bolt holes in the block, and dip them in fresh engine oil prior to re-install.

To do head gaskets cheaply on a Subaru you only need exactly TWO (2, too) parts. One head gasket for the left side side. One head gasket for the right side.

The rest can be reused. Bolts, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, valve cover gaskets, all are reusable assuming they don't get damaged during dis-assembly.