Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 legacy outback awd drove fine then half hour latter the revers just quit (automatic trans) . when shift into revers it was like being in neutral. All other gears work fine trans fluid was full tried holding brake and reving it up in revers to see if it was the pump got nothing. While checking everything added gear lube for the awd and 20 min later for the hell of it went and tried the reverse and it was working like their was never a problem. what could cause this i had thought that the clutch had gone but when it came back their was not even slipping.

I am confused. This is an automatic and you added gear lube to the AWD?

What exactly did you add where, as the AWD is built into the auto tranny and usses that fluid.

Now if you did what i suspect you did, you did something that made the deals swell for now.

For now ....

Once you loose Reverse it is a huge indication impending doom.

Reverse is often the first to go, and it will still work cold because the fluid is thicker. 5 minutes later, no reverse. I did a manual conversion for a friends turbo-wagon. He lost reverse and it sucked parking in the city he lived in.

Used transmissions are a pretty good gamble and it's cheaper than having it rebuilt.

I added gear lube to the diferencial i notice it was low when i was working on it thats all. And when we drop it down from the jack in the time it took me to order a used trans $270 i pushed it out of the garage and for the hell of it tried the reverse and it work. it had been out for a few days and it never wouldn't work (cold or hot) and tried it im going to see if its still working to day. My father'in'la a Toyota diagnostic was helping me on it and was stump. like i said their was no slip before it quit or after it started working again. Could it be electrical? we check the connectors no corrosion all seemed well.

Sorta/kinda related.

My '95 Legacy L (same engine/trans as yours) had a bit of torque bind, so I had it flushed. Two days later I lost Reverse....and it never returned.

As this was b4 I got into my own repairs I had it rebuilt for $900 -they just fixed the reverse clutches (?) and it drove fine 'til I sold it a couple of months later.

I'd find a lower mileage 4EAT from a '95-98(?) Legacy L/LS to swap in-they have the 4.11 final drive ratio. The '96-99 Legacy Outback were different ratio- 4.44.

GL,

TD

Reverse is often the first to go, and it will still work cold because the fluid is thicker. 5 minutes later, no reverse. I did a manual conversion for a friends turbo-wagon. He lost reverse and it sucked parking in the city he lived in.

Used transmissions are a pretty good gamble and it's cheaper than having it rebuilt.

I had this happen on my 95 impreza L FWD it was not worth to swap a transmission I think it went at around 140ish thousand miles, I noticed it when backing up on a hill to a gas pump.. and about a week or so later I was no longer able to back my car out of my job parking lot.. I opened the door and pushed with one foot (flat ground) had all forward gears..

Transmission is done, I don't care if you don't believe us or not.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Yeah, whatever you do, DON'T change the fluid. I lost reverse on my 93 lego wagon and I changed the fluid. within 300 miles I lost 4th, then 3rd. I drove it without reverse for 5 months. Everyone asked me why I parked like a douche (when a pull through wasn't available) and I had to explain it. If you have 4 spots, you can get to where you only take up two with a good swing. My job had a slanted parking lot so I could pull up the hill and coast back into a spot backwards.