Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Gens and the long haul: Road trip discussion

I bought my Loyale in...'08? I think? Got it from one of those shady dealer places. Started driving it home and the upper radiator hose burst--towed home before I even had the title in my hand :P.

That winter I drove it to Michigan (from San Francisco) for Christmas. That was through a 'record setting blizzard'. Averaged 30mph and 30mpg from Winnemucca, NV to Laramie, WY. In Laramie the freeway was closed, that's the only reason I stopped.

On the way back to California on that trip I hoofed it--I think my time was 37 hours door to door, including a drop south to I-70 to pick up some furniture that paid my gas home (or was supposed to...it didn't, long story).

I packed it full of (literally) everything I owned a year or so later when I moved. Spent several weeks going from SF, Phoenix, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Denver...in Denver a friend put me up (and the car eventually broke down--I took that as a sign that this was my new home).

Since then I've driven to Los Angeles and back, that trip was also a 'record cold' and it was snowing to within about 30 miles of Vegas iirc. That was nuts. The heater is weak, but I've never been particularly cold (save one occasion that was...well, a lack of foresight on my part. Don't leave California in Sandals if you know you are heading to Wyoming in December...yeah...).

I figure I've done at least 10k miles of road trips, and a metric **ton commuting in between.

I love my car. My friends ask me why I don't have a newer car...I say...why? I love this one!

Edited by man on the moon
  • Like 1

I drove from Tacoma WA to LA and back via the PCH last November in an '86 GL three door.  I had just bought it a few months before, and before the trip had done simple tune up/maintenance.  The EA82T made if fine!  Only problem was alternator went out, so did a parking lot swap at a NAPA.  Also in LA wired my cooling fan to a toggle switch as I found out my efan temp switch wasn't working (make sure to pack wire and various terminals!)

As far as tools/parts, I just packed tools.  I figured if anything pooped out I would just bum a ride to a parts store, or worst case use my towing insurance for once (very cheap, worth it in a pinch).  Also, packed 3qts oil and 2gall coolant.  

The three door was a great car for the trip!  It was sporty enough for fun corner carving on the PCH, and used the back to sleep in the whole way down.  Can't wait to get back on the road again soon for some camping. 

• Like 1

I haven't taken my Loyale on any substantially high mileage trips, but I've always entertained the idea of taking it to Burning Man (never been, everyone says its either awesome or a load of crap with too many hippies). With that said, I'd like to experience it myself. I wonder what are some ways of keeping playa dust/grime from getting too many places where it shouldn't be...? there's a considerable amount of engine work I wanna get done before i'd think to take it on a trip that far, though.. but planning for the future! 

-Sean

I haven't taken my Loyale on any substantially high mileage trips, but I've always entertained the idea of taking it to Burning Man (never been, everyone says its either awesome or a load of crap with too many hippies). With that said, I'd like to experience it myself. I wonder what are some ways of keeping playa dust/grime from getting too many places where it shouldn't be...? there's a considerable amount of engine work I wanna get done before i'd think to take it on a trip that far, though.. but planning for the future! 

-Sean

Ha! That's why I BOUGHT my subaru. Drove it there twice from NJ. Still cleaning playa dust out of nooks and crannies 2 years later.

Go. It's awesome.

• Like 1

I road tripped from E. TN, to Missouri Valley, Iowa, then down to Golden, CO. Stayed a couple days, same route back. This was an '87 Subaru GL wagon, d/r 5spd with a not so well tuned Hitachi, and it was low on power and didn't get over 25mpg. My main complaint is the seats. I didn't regain feeling in my right a$$ cheek for a week, and still to this DAY there's times my butt cheek goes numb for several hours. That trip was over 7 years ago so those seats literally did permanent damage to my butt cheek. So either bring a pillow to stick under your thighs or get some better seats.

When I drove across the country the seats didn't bother me much. That's me though. I did, however, put a permanent dent in my door card from resting my elbow on the top of the door for 3 days straight. I'll try and get a picture of that. I'm pretty proud of that dent.

3,400 miles in an XT6 from WV to Meeker, CO towing a huge trailer.

I did the 1,500 miles round close to 30 times between MD and Atlanta when i was in college in XT's/XT6's.  i tried to limp a badly slipping clutch back to atlanta once. lost the clutch completely. that was the only time i was stranded and was purely my fault.

an XT6 also served me well for a 120 mile round trip commute.

have the tune up stuff and timing belt (on EA82/ER27's) stuff well maintained.

my preferred spares are alternator, coil, igniter, fusible links (though you can usually switch one or other work arounds in an emergency), crank pulley (due to separation), and fuel pump. though i've only had fuel pumps fail that have sat, i've never had one fail in a continuously running EA/ER vehicle but obviously it's possible.  i've had a zillion failed pumps on vehicles that sat.

XT6's should have the CTS connector addressed, not applicable as much on EA's.

not too hard to keep them reliable.  most things give some warning signs...small leakage first, noises, check engine light...etc.  of course it's an old vehicle...so disclaimers apply.

I plan on driving my 1985 Brat some 100 mile days just around the midwest mostly. Going to have to take care of some shaking around 65 MPH+ but thats about it. That and I need to get some kind of topper, as cab space is few and far between.

Really excited though to be hitting the road. Besides getting it home the first extended ride its going to take is this Thursday night, just driving a 100 miles and gonna see how it feels.

If I ever get a 22 swapped in I want to spend a summer doing tornado chasing in the midwest. Not Twister style "park in front of the tornado!" stuff. More wake up (in the back of the Loyale of course) and look at weather maps. "Oh, look, let's go to Missouri!" and then check out the storms and take pictures from a conservatively safe distance.

The waiting for the 22 part is just in case you DO need to get away quickly. Nothing against and EA82, but I'm not in a hurry to test it's ability to race a fast moving storm.

I also wouldn't mind getting a few other toys installed, but those are for another list.

Bumping this topic again to try to include some opinions on tires.

I am planing a trip out West to go to the WCSS. I have always ran what ever used 13" tires I could find, but I'm thinking a set of four brand new meats is in order. Does anyone have good/bad experiences with certain brands or sizes? I'm fairly certain I will be keeping my stock rims, so the 13" s are relevant to me, but perhaps you guys with pugs or redrills can chime in as well.

look on tirerack or other sites with tire reviews,reviews are already there. there are plenty of below average bridgestones and the Potenza RE92's are widely regarded as like the worst tire Subaru has ever installed from the factory, they are well disliked in the Subaru community. 

If I had to narrow it down to one brand - Michelin is the one company you can generally buy any tire from and get decent performance out of it. But they're too pricey for me and i never buy them because there are other good alternatives. I wouldn't favor any particular brand if you're cost conscious, read reviews and go from there.

A--I've hit in the 90s on a downhill slope. This is impressive!

B--Reaching a high speed isn't the only thing, I want a little power and quick acceleration, too ;)C

C--How the heck did you do that?

A--90's is good. You were almost there! Ran out of slope?

B--I completely understand that. Acceleration difference would be pretty subtantial lol.

C--A long downward slope. Probably a pretty good tail-wind too. I can't remember if I was making it scream in 3rd or winding it out in 4th, but she got up to 105. I have a picture of that somewhere. I also have a picture of my g/f's 3AT Loyale doing 100. ;)

When the car is parked and I look at it and think about how I've been inside it while it was travelling at these speeds, I remind myself of the lunatic I am. I don't think they ever intended for our vehicles to do much more than 80 lol

When I drove across the country the seats didn't bother me much. That's me though. I did, however, put a permanent dent in my door card from resting my elbow on the top of the door for 3 days straight. I'll try and get a picture of that. I'm pretty proud of that dent.

I've done this to my Legacy door card - it's hella ugly but I'm still pretty stoked with it :)

• Like 1

A--90's is good. You were almost there! Ran out of slope?

B--I completely understand that. Acceleration difference would be pretty subtantial lol.

C--A long downward slope. Probably a pretty good tail-wind too. I can't remember if I was making it scream in 3rd or winding it out in 4th, but she got up to 105. I have a picture of that somewhere. I also have a picture of my g/f's 3AT Loyale doing 100. ;)

When the car is parked and I look at it and think about how I've been inside it while it was travelling at these speeds, I remind myself of the lunatic I am. I don't think they ever intended for our vehicles to do much more than 80 lol

Regardless, that's pretty awesome :D.

I'll try for it if I know it's possible!

look on tirerack or other sites with tire reviews,reviews are already there. there are plenty of below average bridgestones and the Potenza RE92's are widely regarded as like the worst tire Subaru has ever installed from the factory, they are well disliked in the Subaru community. 

If I had to narrow it down to one brand - Michelin is the one company you can generally buy any tire from and get decent performance out of it. But they're too pricey for me and i never buy them because there are other good alternatives. I wouldn't favor any particular brand if you're cost conscious, read reviews and go from there.

A took about a month looking and talking to owners about 13" tires. Since there are only 4-5 brands available for the OEM tire, General Altimax RT. Cheapest tire, near zero road noise, and a 50K mile warranty. And highest rated on TireRack and of ALL the owners I contacted about them.

LOVE THEM.

• Like 1

That is good info 86WW. I'll have to check those out later this summer. Any good in the snow and the wet?

Pretty good in the snow, better in the wet, but you can feel the drag/pull when going through standing or deeper puddles at speed..

But she's incredibly stable in light dusting to caked snow on roads at speed. Just crazy. As good as the 9-2x I had with Conti DWS.

You can definitely lose grip it low gear and punching it (but mine is just 2WD) but that's normal.. but she plowed right up a 30 degree driveway, from a standstill with wet snow, so... I love em. lol

:drunk: Good to hear! I honestly and absolutely *love* driving. All those miles I logged across the country, I never once didn't want to be driving anymore.

Could use some more comfortable seats though hahaha.

Our cars are exploration vehicles, they're reliable, cheap to run, and with 4wd will take us basically anywhere (so long as we don't high center them.. :rolleyes:)

I envy you guys on the west coast with the lifted rigs, I'd be ALL over the place lol

I want better seats too!!! anyone find any that match an 84GL?

84 GL 1800 non turbo wagon. It has 240K, Ive put the last 60 on it, mostly road tripping from colorado to Oregon and back 2x, washington to new mexico 2x. Ive had to put new studs and exhaust in it, and change an axle. that's it!!!

I change the oil about every 2000 miles, and rarely take it above 3000rpms. On the highway I cruise at 65mph/between 25 and 2800 rpms. last trip from OR to CO, I got 38mpg! I thought my math was off.  Travel light, travel far. I ship all my stuff fed ex (I move frequently), and carry a sleeping bag and tool kit. removed the back seat the day I bought it.

Really, people drive these things at 3-4K rpms? am I being an old fart (not that I don't appreciate old farts, unless they are in my way).

I have an 88 DL Wagon I bought for $300 five or more years ago from the original owner.  I've put 50,000 miles on it and lived in it for six months.  I regularly drive the old girl back and forth from Colorado to Salt Lake with everything I own, or road trip around Colorado for funsies.  She's super ugly and electrical tape came standard over the check engine light, but she still gets 28 mpg packed with two people, everything I own, and a wicked headwind across Wyoming.  Currently, she is suffering from an ignition problem and some horrendously leaky valve cover gaskets, both of which I hope to fix this week.  This summer, I'm considering driving it from western Colorado to Connecticut.  Reading this thread has made me feel better about that plan... that and I got AAA for Christmas.