Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a must see custom made 78 subaru 2 door hatch back out of a 4 door wagon

my dad and i went to the local car show in sandy which is the fly in car show at the air port. after walking around and looking at some of the cars 189?(not sure what the other number was) to cars from now we decided to walked over to where the planes were to talk to some people we know which was on the other side of the run way as the cars. i thought i saw a first gen subaru but thinking it doesn't look right since they didn't make a 2 door hatch back that early so i didn't think nothing of it and kept talking with people. after that we headed back to the cars and much to my suprize i saw this  :headbang:. just to explain why its not at the car show i met him in gresham to sell him a set of tail lights that had no cracks and where perfect. it has a wheel base at 72 inches and custom window arch/offset along with custom doors. under the hood is a stock motor with a weber mounted to stock transmission with a shortened drive line. the owner said he paid a guy $2500 to this chop job and the body work and it looks stock and super cool. the seats are the bottoms of the orignals and the back of the the rear seat :grin:

561770_325195980948880_456280579_n.jpg

561770_325195987615546_1843873060_n.jpg

561770_325195990948879_2039821667_n.jpg561770_325195994282212_1872315029_n.jpg1376_325196914282120_801301209_n.jpg

• Like 1

the the guy who owns it says the off set is custom so he has to use something like plexy glass to make the windows. i thought they where brat doors just with the edges cut off but wasn't sure since i didn't ask. he also told me he has a gen 1 wagon and gen 1 brat so he should know if the windows off them fit. it must have been fun to watch this be in the process of getting put together because it is very well done.

I dont recall "the guy" I got my 78 from stating he spliced doors. He said it used brat doors and jambs with a wagon body chopped a bunch (that parts obvious). truth be told when i saw it, the wiring was being done so i dunno how accurate my intel is but i have reason to suspect its dead on.... this guy knew more and built better stuff (ahem, liftkits you cant get anymore) than a lot of folks ive  met.

From the look of the side it's very clear the front door and rear door have been spliced together to make one door.

I dont recall "the guy" I got my 78 from stating he spliced doors. He said it used brat doors and jambs with a wagon body chopped a bunch (that parts obvious). truth be told when i saw it, the wiring was being done so i dunno how accurate my intel is but i have reason to suspect its dead on.... this guy knew more and built better stuff (ahem, liftkits you cant get anymore) than a lot of folks ive  met.

then again........it was a LONG day that day and i think youre right

my dad and i went to the local car show in sandy which is the fly in car show at the air port. after walking around and looking at some of the cars 189?(not sure what the other number was) to cars from now we decided to walked over to where the planes were to talk to some people we know which was on the other side of the run way as the cars. i thought i saw a first gen subaru but thinking it doesn't look right since they didn't make a 2 door hatch back that early so i didn't think nothing of it and kept talking with people. after that we headed back to the cars and much to my suprize i saw this  :headbang:. just to explain why its not at the car show i met him in gresham to sell him a set of tail lights that had no cracks and where perfect. it has a wheel base at 72 inches and custom window arch/offset along with custom doors. under the hood is a stock motor with a weber mounted to stock transmission with a shortened drive line. the owner said he paid a guy $2500 to this chop job and the body work and it looks stock and super cool. the seats are the bottoms of the orignals and the back of the the rear seat :grin:

561770_325195980948880_456280579_n.jpg

561770_325195987615546_1843873060_n.jpg

561770_325195990948879_2039821667_n.jpg561770_325195994282212_1872315029_n.jpg1376_325196914282120_801301209_n.jpg

The guy in the Metro looks jealous!!  x-D

Edited by superu
  • Like 1

he had pictures on the car at the show of it cut up but i didn't have my camera then :( the guy said he gave up on the forum since he could post on it :huh: (not sure which forum he was trying get on). any way my dad was interested in the hatch back but the geo still get 40+ a gallon which is great for going around to look at stuff thats far away that you find on craigslist. i think he will be happy with his 79 brat once i get done fixing it up since hes always wanted a brat plus he can fix his 68 gto if he wants something fast.

he had pictures on the car at the show of it cut up but i didn't have my camera then :( the guy said he gave up on the forum since he could post on it :huh: (not sure which forum he was trying get on). any way my dad was interested in the hatch back but the geo still get 40+ a gallon which is great for going around to look at stuff thats far away that you find on craigslist. i think he will be happy with his 79 brat once i get done fixing it up since hes always wanted a brat plus he can fix his 68 gto if he wants something fast.

You don't think first Gen BRAT's can be fast? ;)

Twitch

In the other hand, the Pontiac 400 could not compete with the Brat in Crawling Mountains in Muddy gravel roads, or on carrying a Fridge in the Back...

I Have a '69 Mercury Comet Coupe and I Love Musclecars too, but each car has its own capabilities.

That is the Nice part of Car's World: Each car is good, depending on what you need.

Kind Regards.

i know they can be fast if you put a ej in it but the only upgrade it might get thats not stock is maybe a ea81 with a 5 speed d/r 4wd transmission which can not compete with a pontiac 400 with the 400 turbo transmission

You don't have to EJ it to make it fast. You don't even need to swap out the EA71 to make it fast. Just build the motor ;)

Twitch

PS: Very good points JesZek :)

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
  • Like 1