Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do you guys love the EJ22? Confused...

So what are the years of EJ22 heads that you can bolt onto the EJ25D block and still produce a genuine non-interference engine as a result?

Well in 97 they changed the PISTONS. This is what makes 97+ 2.2 an interference engine, it has nothing to do with the heads. a 96 ej25 MIGHT have non-interferance pistons, becasue it's pre-97.

Any DOHC head with separate sprockets for each cam has the potential for valve-to-valve interference.  This depends on lift and valve geometry.  DOHC heads that only have one sprocket per bank (with a chain driving the other camshaft, like in the EG33) don't have this issue (unless the chain breaks...).

Any DOHC head with separate sprockets for each cam has the potential for valve-to-valve interference.  This depends on lift and valve geometry.  DOHC heads that only have one sprocket per bank (with a chain driving the other camshaft, like in the EG33) don't have this issue (unless the chain breaks...).

The EG33 has one sprocket for the timing belt. But under the valve covers the cams are actually connected by gears.

nobangmycar, on 11 Oct 2013 - 04:48, said:

Thanks for the reply guys! I understand now. I didn't realise you didn't have all the engines available over there. Personally I wouldn't do a turbo engine swap because I know it is a lot of work and I don't understand enough about them, but every the most common engine here is the 2.0 DOHC turbo and non-turbo. We have access to so much over here and there are so many of them on the road, from EJ15, 16, and 18, thru to the dreaded EJ25 with the H/G issues and the EZ30 (great engine, but quite long!). It has all become clear. The 2.2 is not very common at all here, but I might try track one down and learn a bit more. Cheers guys!

The EJ22 is basically the same as the SOHC EJ20, just the displacement is different in principal ;)

Also part of the EJ22 conversion (L series and MY specific) is that it's been done before and a known conversion - plus it's an awesome power and reliability upgrade on the EA82!

BoxerRebellion, on 13 Oct 2013 - 10:46, said:

Subaru's EJ22 was the most bulletproof engine ever designed.

Sorry, I gotta vote the EA81 for most bulletproof engine ever designed. The other one is the Holden red 6 cylinder, the 186 comes to mind - a great engine!

Cheers

Bennie

PS - any RXII coupes getting around out your way? I'd love the gearbox, rear diff, diff lock switch, grille and instrument cluster from one - or just the whole thing (if I could ever afford one plus the shipping and import taxes etc) in good condition as we never got them in Oz :(

Edited by el_freddo

any 94 and older 2.2 head on 2.5 is non interferance engine have made a few now must use thick headgasket from 2.5d but works fine and have used 2.2 heads on 2.51s and 2.53s. The ej 1.8 is probly the toughest ej engine and the ea81 is toughest ea engine but has weak pistons ej not as weak pistons

The ej22 heads didn't change in valve configuration from 90-98, the difference that made the 96+ interference was the piston change.  Heads from a non-interference ej22 will still interfere on an ej25, don't believe me throw one out of time and rotate it.

The ej22 heads didn't change in valve configuration from 90-98, the difference that made the 96+ interference was the piston change.  Heads from a non-interference ej22 will still interfere on an ej25, don't believe me throw one out of time and rotate it.

97,98 EJ22 heads have larger valves and roller/solid rockers which, combined with Cam profile are what make them inteference.

2.2 Liter Engine Enhancements

Beginning in the 1997 Model Year, the 2.2 liter engine for 1997 Legacy and

Impreza models has had internal and external changes that yield an approximately

10% increase in power and 3% increase in fuel economy. Accomplishing this

involves many factors, one of which is engine friction reduction.

The piston, a major source of engine friction, has been coated with a friction

reducing agent called Molybenum. This thin coating not only allows smoother

travel through the cylinder, but also reduces cylinder wall scuffing.

The skirt of the piston has been reshaped and the overall weight has been

reduced by approximately 100 grams. Compression ratio has been increased to

9.7 to 1 by reshaping the crown of the piston. This eliminates the clearance that

was available between the piston at TDC and the fully opened valve. Piston pin

offset has been changed to 0.5 mm. Piston to cylinder wall clearance has been

reduced by increasing the piston diameter.

Pulled directly from this endwrench artice.

http://www.ultraligero.net/Descargas/Manuales/Subaru/EJ22-Overhaul.pdf

• 2 months later...