Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Washed the car - Tail lights and Front Indicators Won't Turn Off

Oh, this is a fun one.

('87 GL Wagon)

Was on a lunch break at work last week.

Decided to hose the dust off the car.

Finished up, shut the hose off, looped it on the loopy.

Turned around and my tail lights were on.

Baffled, I unlocked and opened the driver-side door, peered inside as if I was going to locate the problem, paused, realized... "****!"

Long story short, it's been a week and it hasn't rained.

If whatever got wet was going to dry out, it would've by now.

(The fuse box inside the cabin is dry by the way)

I found the fuse within the circuit, so I've been pulling it everytime I park.

Now, there is a plethora of custom electrical work on this rig.

Meaning, I'm asking for help regarding what it could be though things could be different.

Fuse 4 seems to be the guy that stops the non-sense.

What, I say what would cause the rear tail lights, as well as the front indicators to stay on, with the car off, keys outta the ignition?

Thank you, thank you all in advance.

-BR.

It's a wierd place for a parking lights switch. At a quick glance I assumed it was a hazard switch like many other vehicles....

That's what I thought the first day I bought my Loyale. I was confused as to what it was, because the hazards button was to the left of the steering column. A quick glance in the owner's manual and I found out it was a parking light switch. 

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/subby-virgin-switch-59580/#post659604

My EA82 "BumbleBeast" doesn't have that "Virgin Switch" because it is pretty Old, 1985 ...

So, the Lights On / Off Switch is a Knob located at the Left side of the Dashboard, 

The Wipers / Washers Switch is another knob on the Right Side.

And the Top of the Steerin' Column only has the Hazard Switch.

Kind Regards.

Ha! That's the same site I opened when I googled "virgin switch."

Fun read.

Thinking back... I recall my two Legacies having that switch.

Orientation was flipped though.

And... My '02 Impreza TS had it as well.

I believe.

I'd never heard of it till tonight.

Let's take this one notch further...

Why's it called "the virgin switch?"

'Cause dudes like me think their lights are on, when really it's just that **** switch?

A virgin no more.

Funny.

My fourth Sub is the one that gets me.

Edited by BoxerRebellion
  • Like 1

For those who haven't had a pre 87 & post 87 car, it's because Subaru started ignition switching the headlights & parkers so they turned off with the ignition.

For safety reasons, there needs to be a way to turn on the parkers regardless of the ignition switch position.

Although, the position of the hazard switch is crummy on the 88- models. How's the passenger supposed to reach it if there's an emergency? :P

My 1985 "BumbleBeast" does have ignition Controlled Lights, so if you leave the Lights' Switch "On" they will turn off when the Engine is turned Off and will go back to On when the Engine is turned On... or when the key is in the "on" Position.

The Parking Lights could be Lit, with an "Extra" Left position the Lights Switch Knob on the Dashboard has, you only need to Press inwards the Switch Knob and turn it furter left than the Off Position, that will Lit the Front Corner Lights and the Rear Red Lights, but not the instrument Cluster / Dashboard buttons.

Kind Regards.

sheesh, why couldn't they pick one convention for everyone :o  :P

Aus didn't get that switch, only the 3 position version (off, parker, headlights), but I once did an 85 JDM half cut conversion which had that extra position switch. Could still turn the parkers and headlights on normally without the ignition, but sounded an alarm if the ignition was off (sounded like a phone :P), turn to the left bypassed the dashboard lights & the alarm.