Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2000 Subaru Impreza "L" 2.2L sedan threw a P0325 Knock Sensor code the other day, so I've decided to just replace the knock sensor itself.

FWIW, this will be my *first* DIY car project beyond changing wiper blades or putting in a new relay.

Anyway, looks like there are 3 options for buying a new Knock Sensor. Which one should I pursue?

#1. El Cheapo - I'm seeing a no-name part on Amazon for $12  (nothing but 5-star ragings) - http://http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Subaru-Forester-Impreza-Outback/dp/B0095S5I3W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3

#2. Mid-Range Price, "OE Spec" @ $63 - 2000 Subaru Impreza Knock Sensor | AutoPartsWarehouse

Edited by Armchair Bronco

Are there any common-sense "Rules of Thumb" that pertain to buying parts for DIY repairs?

For example, if the knock sensor is really just a commodity item that only throws an error code for the CEL, then maybe buying the El Cheapo version is good enough.

On the other hand, if a faulty knock sensor (or one that had intermittent problems) could negatively affect performance or MPG, then maybe the bargain brand would end up costing you more money in the long run.

Just curious about the thought process folks use when there are so many different options relative to price and different brands / name brands.

Edited by Armchair Bronco

Plenty of people here have use ebay cheapies with no problems. $12 on amazon is even cheaper, but there really isn't any reason these should be expensive.

Search for my knock sensor 101 thread for details on installation.

I'm not finding the Knock Sensor 101 thread. Can you give me a link?

Google search often works better than the board search, and you can narrow results down to one particular site to limit the number of results.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/116520-knock-sensor-101-and-replacement/

Got it. Thanks. Good read. I also found several Subaru-related DIY videos on YouTube that I may add links to in your thread.

(Still perplexed about why the search from *this* site didn't turn up the thread...)

Are there any common-sense "Rules of Thumb" that pertain to buying parts for DIY repairs?

Ask first probably.  depends on various years, models, etc too.  Or just start a thread for your specific vehicle and  we can give a run down.

A couple very general "rules":

Beck Arnley and made in JAPAN are good starting points for finding an aftermarket supplied OEM part. 

Subaru seals are preferred, or use brown engine seals - not black ones is generally a good rule.

The harder it is to replace the less chances I want to take.  If I'm replacing a Torque Converter seal, saving $2.32 cents for something that requires removing the engine or trans is kind of silly in my book.

If someone wants to use an aftermarket valve cover gasket...not a very big deal, easy fix, and rather benign, not likely to leave you stranded.