Ultimate Subaru Message Board

long travel Outbacks or making Subarus faster and more reliable offroad

pontoontodd

https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Monitoring-Transmitter-Diagnostic-Temperature/dp/B0111PVHR2/ref=zg_bs_2201765011_2

I want to get something similar for my trailer because the roads are so bad around here I keep worring if that vibration is from the road or a flat tire.Right now I check the trailer about every 50 miles...

Thanks, for some reason I hadn't seen that, got me on to some other systems that show all four pressures too.  The Steelmate and Carchet sensors just replace your valve stem caps, which seems questionable, but would probably be the way to go if you swap tires around often.

For your trailer, there are some systems that have up to 38 sensors, this is probably the cheapest one I saw with at least six:

http://shop.greatrvproducts.com/TST-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems-Accessories_c29.htm

Its bolted to the crossmember and a frame work of steel i loose alittle clearance but not having to worry about the y pipe and oil pan is worth it ill try to find some pics of it or take one its on a ea82 though but i did do a outback skid the same way but they look alittle funny because the exhaust is so wide

Yeah the stock ones work best. You can find them for almost nothing since everyone likes to upgrade theirs to unequal length headers.  And if they need it to exit behind the cab, can just run a pipe up the pillar and put a muffler on top of your roof.  Might help a bit in keeping the bottom side of your car, ie your diff and fuel pump, slightly cooler.  Might also make it easier to put a bigass skid plate under the engine.

Another thing we keep discussing is the gearing on these EJ cars.  I know you can get them with a low range but they seem difficult to find and I've heard they wear out fairly quickly, and I know the five speed gearboxes aren't known to be super strong.  I have a low range mostly drawn up that would fit in place of the center diff that would allow FWDhi/4WDhi/4WDlo, but it would be fairly expensive to make and complicated.

One of our friends has suggested making a granny first gear, which would be great, but the first gear on the shaft is already about as small as it can be, and making that whole shaft would be expensive.

On the long ride back home from the race, we were thinking that a 1.2 or 1.3:1 low range would be great for racing.  I don't think we've ever gone over 75mph.  Then I was thinking the six speeds are stronger and closer ratio and have a larger spread of gear ratios than the five speed.  We'd want to swap one in if we went to an H6 regardless.  So I think the simplest and strongest solution would be a fixed gear reduction in place of the center diff around 1.5:1.  We could also made sixth gear about 0.6:1, which wouldn't be too hard or expensive to make.  That would give us a decent low first gear, about perfect gearing for racing in second-fifth, and similar highway gearing to what we have now in sixth.  All with one shifter.  The main downside I see to that plan is that we'd have no center diff, which would be kind of annoying around town, but having driven a Loyale for a couple years with the center diff permanently locked, I'd say a worthwhile compromise.

Would having lower final gears really be that good for racing? Seems like you'd just spend more time shifting at lower speeds.  Biggest benefit would be simply being able to crawl.

I like that 6 speed idea, though.  The 4wd Tercels do that: it's a 5 speed plus a granny gear.

The main downside I see to that plan is that we'd have no center diff, which would be kind of annoying around town, but having driven a Loyale for a couple years with the center diff permanently locked, I'd say a worthwhile compromise.

This wouldn't be a issue if it where dedicated race car and if I where you I would have locked the center diff along time ago and why try to build what Subaru already built if your worried about the strength of the gears just harden them up 10 speeds  are better than 6 start with a ej duel range box and go from there with all your custom fabed suspension and going back to the stock style set up I would think you would trust Subaru to have it set up well the engine and trans are in that same range there good just need to customize them to your needs it just seems to me your spending a lot of time and money reinventing the wheel you could always go with a divorced transfer case that's the route I'm going on my outback some day that would make changing gears easyer

Would having lower final gears really be that good for racing? Seems like you'd just spend more time shifting at lower speeds.  Biggest benefit would be simply being able to crawl.

I like that 6 speed idea, though.  The 4wd Tercels do that: it's a 5 speed plus a granny gear.

Yes, the biggest benefit would be a granny first gear.  The lower gearing itself wouldn't help much, but the closer ratios of the six speed would help.  There were at least a few times where second was too low but third was too high or something like that.  Still, there were probably a few times in the race we would have gone a little slower through rough or soft stuff if we had a lower first gear and weren't worried about getting stuck.  And it was very hard to get going with a flat tire on soft ground with the stock gearing.

I've heard the six speeds are much heavier than the five speeds though, so I have to look into that.  Just read one person online saying it's only 20# heavier and another saying it's 100# heavier.

This wouldn't be a issue if it where dedicated race car and if I where you I would have locked the center diff along time ago and why try to build what Subaru already built if your worried about the strength of the gears just harden them up 10 speeds  are better than 6 start with a ej duel range box and go from there with all your custom fabed suspension and going back to the stock style set up I would think you would trust Subaru to have it set up well the engine and trans are in that same range there good just need to customize them to your needs it just seems to me your spending a lot of time and money reinventing the wheel you could always go with a divorced transfer case that's the route I'm going on my outback some day that would make changing gears easyer

If you know of an EJ dual range for sale, let me know.

The divorced transfer case seems totally impractical to me for what we're trying to do.

Are you suggesting we put the stock struts back on?  We'd be going half the speed with a quarter the durability.

I'm in no way saying put stock struts back in but u ditched the twin wish bone set up and went back to a struts because the twin set up didn't work out to well I'm saying u need to tweek your motor and trans in them same fashion you tweeked your suspention and some one posted a ej duel range for sale earlier in the the thread there out there they also sell just the case and extra parts to make it work if it doesn't have then1:59 gear reduction it can be swamped in and it works I'm sure Subaru tested it quite a bit they already worked out all the issues the divorced treasfer case is more for slower rigs in my opinion but dosent have to be I'm gonna use one because well I have it and a nice set of solid axles to match And a few spare front axles  so it won't cost me anything for parts in my opinion locking the rear and center diff's is a must for off road based only exsperiances wheelin a impreza  a outback a legacy and a forester not one of them could hang with the loyale with the locked center and rear diff and the low range also the low range will give you that gear between 2nd and 3rd the only issue I had was when trying to split shifts from high range to low range it shifts fine from low to high but not from high to low if you could fix that little issue it would be a game changer In my opinion maybe play with the power band on the motor so the torque is more usable and since your redoing your exhaust maybe tweek it for better flow there's so many little things that can be done to make the package your working with better but when I say better I mean for off road use they would suck bootie on the street which brings me back to the dedicated race car/wheeler bs again sorry for pushing my opinion about that I know it doesn't fit your needs but it just seems like the natural progression of a off road rig to me

I'm in no way saying put stock struts back in but u ditched the twin wish bone set up and went back to a struts because the twin set up didn't work out to well I'm saying u need to tweek your motor and trans in them same fashion you tweeked your suspention and some one posted a ej duel range for sale earlier in the the thread there out there they also sell just the case and extra parts to make it work if it doesn't have then1:59 gear reduction it can be swamped in and it works I'm sure Subaru tested it quite a bit they already worked out all the issues the divorced treasfer case is more for slower rigs in my opinion but dosent have to be I'm gonna use one because well I have it and a nice set of solid axles to match And a few spare front axles  so it won't cost me anything for parts in my opinion locking the rear and center diff's is a must for off road based only exsperiances wheelin a impreza  a outback a legacy and a forester not one of them could hang with the loyale with the locked center and rear diff and the low range also the low range will give you that gear between 2nd and 3rd the only issue I had was when trying to split shifts from high range to low range it shifts fine from low to high but not from high to low if you could fix that little issue it would be a game changer In my opinion maybe play with the power band on the motor so the torque is more usable and since your redoing your exhaust maybe tweek it for better flow there's so many little things that can be done to make the package your working with better but when I say better I mean for off road use they would suck bootie on the street which brings me back to the dedicated race car/wheeler bs again sorry for pushing my opinion about that I know it doesn't fit your needs but it just seems like the natural progression of a off road rig to me

I do appreciate the advice.

I PMed the guy about the EJ dual range and haven't heard anything back.

I have seen the dual range case kits on ebay for about $1000, is that what you're talking about?

The six speed idea was mainly if we were swapping in an H6 since the five speed might not be strong enough.

We usually have too much traction rather than not enough, so I don't think locking the diffs would help.  The center diff was locked up for a while before we replaced the trans and the car still drove on the street OK, so I could see doing that on purpose.  If we locked the rear diff also the steering brake wouldn't do anything and I'm sure it would make driving around town noisier.  That's the only thing I see you suggesting that would "suck bootie" on the street.

I would not be worried about shifting the low range on the fly.

Just about any exhaust would be better flow than what we had!  I am talking to a guy about building us a fresh engine too with pistons and cams.

I know what you're saying about the dedicated race car thing, but we already have a race buggy.  It is much faster than the Subaru but getting it to and from the races is a lot more expensive, slower, and more work.  Plus the Outback is still the nicest car I own and I already don't have room for the cars and projects I have.

Do you have a detailed build up on the struts. I see wha you have here on this post... what part #s for the shocks, caps, mounts. I see you built the bottom "Can and spindle mount" part... what materials, thicknesses. Id like to build something like that myself for my 2015 XV while keeping it as stock looking as possible. Your blog has been a huge inspiration! I read all the Rally buildups i can possibly find from all levels of racing but yours is the most impressive, MOST INSPIRING! Love your driving style and the fact your building things that work!

So far i have skid plates and sway bars on mine and enjoy twisty dirt roads and im a member of the local SCCA doing RallyCross as well as AutoCross in my Sub, but i know eventualy im gonna end up blowing out the stock suspension.

Edited by SnakkerZ003

Do you have a detailed build up on the struts. I see wha you have here on this post... what part #s for the shocks, caps, mounts. I see you built the bottom "Can and spindle mount" part... what materials, thicknesses. Id like to build something like that myself for my 2015 XV while keeping it as stock looking as possible. Your blog has been a huge inspiration! I read all the Rally buildups i can possibly find from all levels of racing but yours is the most impressive, MOST INSPIRING! Love your driving style and the fact your building things that work!

So far i have skid plates and sway bars on mine and enjoy twisty dirt roads and im a member of the local SCCA doing RallyCross as well as AutoCross in my Sub, but i know eventualy im gonna end up blowing out the stock suspension.

Thanks, I'm flattered, glad you like it.

Started out as a much cheaper hobby than offroad racing, just trail riding with stock Subarus, and has gotten a little out of control.

The struts have been a lot of trial and error.  They've never failed completely on us but we've made a lot of improvements in the last year.  At the moment I'm not willing to just give away all of that, but you should be able to figure most or all of it out from what I've posted here.  I don't know how much fabrication and machining experience you have, but you'd need a decent amount to make a set that will hold up.  On top of all that, your XV has a multilink rear suspension, right?  So that would be a totally different animal, although probably easier.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT call Fox and ask them to make you a set of Subaru struts.  They've had so many people call before I did and then not follow through that they almost wouldn't sell me anything and I can't blame them.

• Like 1

The cases on eBay where the ones I was talking about there expensive but if your gonna scratch build a trans it might work if not your on the hunt I'm sure a importer can get one or find some one out of the USA to hunt one down I have seen a few on Craigslist to personally I hate driving on the street with my center diff and rear end locked in my opinion it sucks but it makes it so I can slide the rear end at will on dirt eliminating the need for steering breaks also the extra tracsion  is realy nice to have in the mud and sand I'm thinking with that heavy outback adding a big 6 up front might mess with the balance of the rig I know my winch dose on my loyale and its only a few hundred pounds and the outbacks or ej rigs in general don't float very well on soft sand or mud they tend to dig in more the extra wait will make that worse but it might give a advantage some where else my scout is very heavy and it walks right past the stuck yotas and heeps but it was built that way from the  factory I don't know what affects adding that much wait to a outbak that wasn't designed for it would do maybe put a few bags of concrete or something up front some how and see how it handles it might not even notice the extra wait

Please, whatever you do, do NOT call Fox and ask them to make you a set of Subaru struts.  They've had so many people call before I did and then not follow through that they almost wouldn't sell me anything and I can't blame them.

Lol fox shock won't talk about Subaru struts lol I've asked to at there booth a few years ago well before your build I started asking about shock travel and specks he asked what it was for i sead my Subaru he just sead they don't make anything that fits it and walked away he kinda pissed me off I know what I need and was just lookin for specks on there products I didn't start by saying I needed Subaru struts now I'm thinking every one on the forum should call and bug them lol honestly I'll take my money elseware if I was talking jeep or toyota they would have been all over it but the way there rep blew me off didn't sit well I can't afford there shocks now anyway I had cash at the time but if I could afford it right now  I wouldn't no mater how good they are 

next time I see them I'm gonna give them spoob about it now I know they know that the Subaru people want struts too and they just blow us off and they will get a ear full at set up and break down and all week during there events maybe make a sign that says Subaru struts sold here and hang it on there booth when there not looking lol I'm still pissed at that guy

Edited by ferp420

Lol fox shock won't talk about Subaru struts lol I've asked to at there booth a few years ago well before your build I started asking about shock travel and specks he asked what it was for i sead my Subaru he just sead they don't make anything that fits it and walked away he kinda pissed me off I know what I need and was just lookin for specks on there products I didn't start by saying I needed Subaru struts now I'm thinking every one on the forum should call and bug them lol honestly I'll take my money elseware if I was talking jeep or toyota they would have been all over it but the way there rep blew me off didn't sit well I can't afford there shocks now anyway I had cash at the time but if I could afford it right now  I wouldn't no mater how good they are 

next time I see them I'm gonna give them spoob about it now I know they know that the Subaru people want struts too and they just blow us off and they will get a ear full at set up and break down and all week during there events maybe make a sign that says Subaru struts sold here and hang it on there booth when there not looking lol I'm still pissed at that guy

Please, please don't do this, I really hope you're joking.  This is why they don't want to talk to "Subaru people".  The guy told me they've had hundreds of people over the years ask them to make Subaru struts but then no one bought anything from them.  If you were selling something and the Jeep and Toyota guys actually bought your product, and the Subaru guys just wasted your time, would you talk to them?  It's like when we go to the offroad park and they hesitate to let us in because other "Subaru people" just go in and do donuts in the parking lot and don't go out on the trails.  Please don't be that guy that ruins it for the rest of us.

when you have cash on hand and they blow you off its upsetting maybe no one buys from them because of there atitude and besides if there set up basicly in my back yard how could I not talk to them also if there already poopin on us what difference would it make but seriosly my neighbor is a fox shock rep so I'll talk to him he is watching my house right now the next time I see him out wheelin I'll go play then say something maybe if they see these rigs on the trail they might be more willing to work with us usaly when I go to a ohv park I'm in all the places the yotas and big trucks wont go I've never been turned away from a park with my roo I've never herd of Subaru discrimination like that before I think if you go to a ohv park to do doh dohs  I think that's a responsible person where else is it leagle to do doughnuts that's what ohv parks are for I usaly go to state or federal ohv parks or blm or national forest service land maybe private parks are different OK sorry for jackin  the thread