Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It will not "drop right in" without serious modifications and it would be a downgrade in my opinion. More research is required. You're at the right place. Let your fingers do the walkin' as they say.  You have SO MANY options.

Edited by Crazyeights

You're better off with an EJ swap.

More power, more torque, far more reliable and less temperamental.

All with pretty much the same amount of work, maybe less depending on clearances.

You'll have to merge the wiring harnesses either way, and the EA82T may be too wide to properly fit in your engine bay.

Again, if you read up, the EJ swap is far more common for a reason.

Twitch

PS: I own an EA82T, biggest piece of crap motor I have ever dealt with.

• Like 1

Much the same as dropping any EA82 into the GEN2 to make it physically fit For standard height cars, if lifted, think this causes problems for engine to chassis rail clearances.

I made the engine cross member slots longer for where the engine mount studs drop through. When dropping in the engine mount bolts are to be left about 5mm loose not done up so mount studs dangle closer to each other for easy fitment.

I also went EA82 5 speed and the clutch, so also needed the clutch pedal at least from EA82 and the cable. Some also fit in the EA82 pedal box

For EA82T you most likely need the EA81T cross member or do a cut and weld job on existing engine x member for the turbo up pipe to clear nicely. It might fit against xmem if you don't.

I fully intend EA82T in my Brumby some time soon. Got the engine and fuel system sorted, just waiting for things to happen

Edited by jono

• 1 month later...

Be ready to cut & section the front chassis rails as the EA82 is so much wider than the EA81.

I've heard stories of the EJ motors fitting in between the rails without mods, but not sure how true this is.

EJ is narrower than the EA82 though

The EA82 does fit between the rails of a gen 2 Brat but be sure and install new valve cover gaskets before you drop it in. If you put it in with a 3at auto all you have to do is move the proportioning valve to clear the distributor but with a stick it hits the hill holder. As was said you will need a cross member from a turbo car or Brat. Be prepared to do or have done a wiring harness. 

You can fit an ea82 without much trouble. Swap the bellhousing pitch bar mount from the ea81. Ise the ea82 upper radiator hose. You can fit an ea82 radiator. IF its a manual trans, the hill holder may be a tight fit causing you to relocate it. The dsty will be a tight fit also. It's easiest to install the engine, and then the distributor after its bolted up. You may have to cut a tab off the disrt and clock it a few degrees to clear. 

The ea82 can be good as long as it's not trashed to begin with. Keep it in stock trim and don't boost it beyond stock.

There may be clarance issue with the timing belt covers, but only if lifted. Don't be afraid to ditch the covers as the timing belts are easy to service without them, and the engine is non-interference.

In my opinion, an ea82 is best when using an ea82 trans for proper gearing