Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Range Transmission opened up for Synchros and Seals

I was going to save these pics for a build thread later. I am SO SLOW in getting my threads started and keeping them updated that most of my pictures never even make it here. I know some people would probably like to see the inside of a D/R trans. I just had this one apart a couple years ago for 1st and 2nd gear synchros and seals.  Here ya go;

post-25394-0-56582500-1415641386_thumb.jpg post-25394-0-84405900-1415641412_thumb.jpg post-25394-0-02294400-1415641425_thumb.jpg

post-25394-0-80583500-1415641439_thumb.jpg post-25394-0-80313100-1415641493_thumb.jpg post-25394-0-01881000-1415641513_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 2

I'd be interested in a thread on how to replace the synchros.   My 2nd gear has been bad for years.  

Like a step by step procedure, any special tools required ... and exactly which part is the synchro ?

Can you tell I've never had mine apart ?    But I'll try anything, once. 

The synchros are the brass rings visible in the pics. One of the gears had to be pressed off and back on to replace them for 1st and 2nd gears. This was actually the hardest part of the entire job and the ONLY part that need anything more than basic tools. You can see the "double gear" in the main shaft pictures right next to the bearing. I couldn't get a picture of the next step because it went in to the press and got ugly for a minute.  It took some heat and a LOT of force but it finally yielded undamaged :grin:  These were the only two "crunchy" shift points and they are smooth as silk now. New syncros from Subaru were about $34.00 each. All of the seals were done at the same time including the shift shaft, input and output shaft seals, etc.

Ivan can dress up synchros like new with just simple file. I do not possess this level of greatness.

Edited by Crazyeights

It's been a while. The best I can remember, and I used ALL dealer parts and seals, it was probably $225.00 - $250.00.  I think it needed one bearing too for another $30.00 or so. All of the rest of the hard parts were still good enough to re-use and it already had over 200k on it!

Edited by Crazyeights

I've always thought about how hard it would be to strip off the necessary parts off the dual range to ship over, because a lot of the stuff would be similar, or modify-able.

eg ditching the dual range linkage & using a cable instead like the Legacy and later models (or even electrifying with a wiper motor)

IMHO, this would just need the split input shaft with "shifter" & RHS casing, maybe the LHS.

Keep the vacuum operated 4wd.

Would be cheaper to ship than a complete trans.

But seeing as we only got the single range part time 4wd box for the 85 model (so those ones are rare over here :P), I've never been able to compare inside.