Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"spy" pics of new 05 outbacks! and i got to drive it!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ambivalent about the "dual exhaust." On the one hand, it probably looks cool from behind the car (and may sound nice, too).

On the other hand, it doesn't look like a true dual exhaust set up--i.e., a separate midpipe and muffler dedicated to each bank of cylinders.

Instead, from the picture it looks more like a "dual muffler" setup. That is the type of setup want-to-be rednecks install on their pickups--trying to look tough without having the money, knowledge, or desire to invest in a true performance setup.

As I remember it, back in the '90s when Toyota built the legendary last series of the Supra it rejected dual exhausts because any performance gain was offset by the increase in weight.

I'm not saying that I'd tear the dual mufflers off if I bought one of those cars. I just question the setup's functionality.

I really dont see the advantage of fly by wire throttle, if any thing its just some thing that was made way to complicated for no benifit.

Good catch, there is no advantage. It allows other people to control your throttle (e.g. police state, quite literally). Time to wake up out of the big, sleepy apathy, folks and realize you and I are becoming slaves. :mad:

Yeah thats a big disatvangae i never thought of for fly by wire. The throtle response is considerabley slower, and weighs more with all the wires athat are needed, and the motor that physicly opens the throtle body. I dont know about subaru, but other companies like nissian wont let you over lap the throttle with the brakes it takes away all the fun :mad: .

Step 1. High-end cars are factory equipped with throttle-by-wire, implying high-tech gagetry status.

Step 2. Since high-dollar / high-speed cars are frequently stolen and used in fatal high speed chases, a system is introduced which allows law enforcement to remotely reduce maximum throttle opening to 10-20% of maximum, thereby slowing the fleeing vehicle to a safe speed and allowing other law enforcement persuit vehicles to completely encircle the perpetrator, at which point the throttle is completely de-activated and perp is apprehended safely. Public loves the new technology.

Step 3. Throttle-by-wire phased-in on remaining mid and low priced cars.

Step 4.

A. Suspected in any crime? Throttle doesn't work.

B. Missed a smog-chek? Throttle doesn't work.

C. Owe a parking ticket? Throttle doesn't work.

D. Owe back taxes? Throttle doesn't work.

E. Caught visiting "subversive" websites? Throttle doesn't work.

Copy and save my post. Pull it out in ten years. FWIW I take no pleasure in being the bearer of bad news. :(

Oh yeah, armed carjackers are gonna have a ball with this new technology. Of course, being an honest law-abiding citizen/slave, you will be dis-allowed ownership of a sidearm for your own personal defense.

Step 1. High-end cars are factory equipped with throttle-by-wire, implying high-tech gagetry status.

Step 2. Since high-dollar / high-speed cars are frequently stolen and used in fatal high speed chases, a system is introduced which allows law enforcement to remotely reduce maximum throttle opening to 10-20% of maximum, thereby slowing the fleeing vehicle to a safe speed and allowing other law enforcement persuit vehicles to completely encircle the perpetrator, at which point the throttle is completely de-activated and perp is apprehended safely. Public loves the new technology.

Step 3. Throttle-by-wire phased-in on remaining mid and low priced cars.

Step 4.

A. Suspected in any crime? Throttle doesn't work.

B. Missed a smog-chek? Throttle doesn't work.

C. Owe a parking ticket? Throttle doesn't work.

D. Owe back taxes? Throttle doesn't work.

E. Caught visiting "subversive" websites? Throttle doesn't work.

Copy and save my post. Pull it out in ten years. FWIW I take no pleasure in being the bearer of bad news. :(

Hate to burst your bubble....but throttle by wire simply means it's controlled by an electronic servo, rather then a physical cable.

Under the current technology there is NO WAY in hell the police would be able to do something like this. Your ECU would have to input some form of RF signal. You better believe that if something like this happens, the ACLU will be all over it...as well as other groups......the likelihood of it happening is so slim to nothing.....I wouldn't worry about it.

But like you said....in ten years...we'll see.

I really dont see the advantage of fly by wire throttle, if any thing its just some thing that was made way to complicated for no benifit.

I agree. Along with the already numerous sensors, solenoids, and other electronic gadgetry, another complicated system prone to failure and added expenses. I've seen no write-ups to the benefits of this type of system - Anyone?

legasy777 is right... fly by wire doesn't mean the cops can make your throttle not work... what your thinking of os something like "fly by wireless"... i have only seen this on one car and it was a concept car...

although the throttle thingmy won't exist for a while we still have disablers like on-star and what not... they can stop your car right???

Hate to burst your bubble....but throttle by wire simply means it's controlled by an electronic servo, rather then a physical cable.

777, your not bursting any bubble. The throttle is physically moved by a servo, but is ultimately controlled by the ECU which in turn will be connected to onstar.

Under the current technology there is NO WAY in hell the police would be able to do something like this. Your ECU would have to input some form of RF signal. You better believe that if something like this happens, the ACLU will be all over it...as well as other groups......the likelihood of it happening is so slim to nothing.....I wouldn't worry about it.

The technology does indeed exsist and will be phased in. FWIW, the ACLU is as useless as the NRA. Both agencies serve the purpose of placating the masses with false assurances. There's no agency that's going to stand up for a right you yourself aren't willing to stand up for, witness the "patriot" act. To date over 100 localities have taken it upon themselves to enact legislation overriding the Federal trampling of our Constitution, no help at all from the ACLU.

But like you said....in ten years...we'll see.

777, please don't waste any effort on my part, I'm not phased by naysayers. Frankly, I AM VERY worried about it. You're not... that's OK. :) Copy my post and pull it out in ten years.

It's not bad looking,

I'd give it a thumbs up!

I like the instrument cluster.

Does anyone know the performance specks?

That would tell the tale of fly by wire being slower.......

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

One disappointing thing for me was no navigation system. Call me a tech-geek, but I want my next car to have a navigation system. If Subaru wants to compete with the high-end cars, why leave that out? Almost all the high-end cars have GPS navigation systems, even the Mini Cooper. :-\

One disappointing thing for me was no navigation system. Call me a tech-geek, but I want my next car to have a navigation system. If Subaru wants to compete with the high-end cars, why leave that out? Almost all the high-end cars have GPS navigation systems, even the Mini Cooper.
Hey they have to keep some upgradesfor later years. :)

so what does the 04 look like? over there? cause i think we've aready got that one!

Yup.. our 05 is probably your 04.. seems you guys always get stuff a year before us..

For example, I recall seeing a couple 84 EA82 RXs.. we didn't get the EA82 until 85