Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"spy" pics of new 05 outbacks! and i got to drive it!

Thanks SubaSkeet.

FWIW, I'm a firm believer in constitutional law (not to be confused with lawlessness). Anybody that derides me for that is writing a check that they're not going to be able to cash.

I'm not keen about losing freedoms, and I do whatever I can to rally or assist those of like mind. Some people think that makes me the bad guy... so be it.

It's not the cost of hardware that regulates the pace of repressive technology, it's the rate at which the public can be forced to swallow it. IC's cost pennies, but freedom comes at the cost of human lives.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Linking the gas pedal to the engine electronically instead of with a mechanical advantage has immense advantages in adjusting throttle response for driving condtions, and integrating throttle setting with other driver input like steering angle. It enables much more capable traction control.

• 1 month later...

USA TODAY: "30 million cars now record drivers' behavior."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/internetprivacy/2004-12-27-auto-blackbox_x.htm

"When AutoWeek conducted handling tests on a mundane Chevy Malibu Maxx hatchback earlier this year, THE RECORDER AUTOMATICALLY ALERTED GM ONSTAR OFFICIALS, who called the car to make sure the driver was OK after a particularly severe cornering maneuver. The driver was, but later said he resented the intrusion."

But... but I thought law-abiding people love intrusions? :slobber:

Hey it may just sound like another conspiracy theory crock, but i chose to believe in conspiracies that have good evidence behind them. There isn't any problem with all this surveylance, its just protecting us from all those bad people out to harm us, and we'll never be affected by it cause we're good law abiding people. wana say what you think about a government official? you better belive your driving records will be fully revealed. you didn't come to a full stop at that sign this morning, accordin to your car! pay up. that'll teach you to question me. Powers will always be abused, so the less you give to people in government, the less abuse you'll get.

Hey it may just sound like another conspiracy theory crock, but i chose to believe in conspiracies that have good evidence behind them. There isn't any problem with all this surveylance, its just protecting us from all those bad people out to harm us, and we'll never be affected by it cause we're good law abiding people. wana say what you think about a government official? you better belive your driving records will be fully revealed. you didn't come to a full stop at that sign this morning, accordin to your car! pay up. that'll teach you to question me. Powers will always be abused, so the less you give to people in government, the less abuse you'll get.

Just the kind of answer you'd expect from someone living in a state with the slogan "Live Free or die"! Next you will be wanting freedom of the press or the right to bear arms, or a vote that is counted properly like they do in Amer. . .Oh right. . .

this is America. . .far too easy to forget that these days. . .

• 6 months later...
I really dont see the advantage of fly by wire throttle, if any thing its just some thing that was made way to complicated for no benifit.
Good catch, there is no advantage. It allows other people to control your throttle (e.g. police state, quite literally). Time to wake up out of the big, sleepy apathy, folks and realize you and I are becoming slaves.

As promised, here it is (and it didn't take ten years since I made my post, it took 13.5 months):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1678707,00.html

"The Sunday Times - Britain

July 03, 2005

Forget cameras - spy device will cut drivers’ speed by satellite

Dipesh Gadher, Transport Correspondent

IT IS the ultimate back seat driver. Motorists face having their cars fitted with a “spy” device that stops speeding.

The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it. A government-funded trial has concluded that the scheme promotes safer driving.

Drivers in London could be among the first to have the “speed spy” devices fitted. They would be offered a discount on the congestion charge if they use the system.

The move follows a six-month trial in Leeds using 20 modified Skoda Fabias, which found that volunteer drivers paid more attention as well keeping to the speed limit. More than 1,000 lives a year could be saved if the system was fitted to all Britain’s cars, say academics at Leeds University, who ran the trial on behalf of the Department for Transport (DfT).

It is part of a two-year research project into “intelligent speed adaptation” (ISA), which the department is funding at a cost of £2m. Results of the initial trial will be presented to ministers this week.

A study commissioned by London’s transport planners has recommended that motorists who install it should be rewarded with a discount on the congestion charge, which tomorrow rises to £8 a day.

The trial Skodas were fitted with a black box containing a digital map identifying the speed limits of every stretch of road in Leeds. A satellite positioning system tracked the cars’ locations.

The device compared the car’s speed with the local limit — displayed on the dashboard — and sent a signal to the accelerator or brake pedal to slow if it was too fast. The system can be overridden to avoid a hazard.

“The trials have been incredibly successful,” said Oliver Carsten, project leader and professor of transport safety at Leeds University.

The DfT says it has no plans to make speed limiters mandatory but admits that it is considering creating a digital map of all Britain’s roads which would pave the way for a national ISA system.

Edmund King, of the RAC Foundation, said limiters might make motorists less alert: “If you take too much control away the driver could switch on to autopilot.”

I read the whole thread and have two things to say:

My '05 O.B.'s gas pedal has FAR too little resistance to it and the Sub tech says there is nothing that can be done about it because it is a fly-by-wire system and the spring at the pedal arm is what it is. I am doomed to constantly 'floating' my foot on the gas pedal; no rest in sight.

OnStar is ALWAYS on. Police have used the system, in co-operation with OnStar, to monitor the conversations of vehicle occupants. However, in certain states they, the police, are no longer allowed to do this because the monitoring interferes with the operation of the OnStar system as a whole and people pay for the ENTIRE service. We can't have the police seizing services from folks without due process, can we?

Juan

I read the whole thread and have two things to say:

My '05 O.B.'s gas pedal has FAR too little resistance to it and the Sub tech says there is nothing that can be done about it because it is a fly-by-wire system and the spring at the pedal arm is what it is. I am doomed to constantly 'floating' my foot on the gas pedal; no rest in sight.

It shouldn't be too difficult to locate a specialty spring distributor and match-up a spring with 50% increase in tension, then swap the spring.

OnStar is ALWAYS on.

Not if it's been disabled. :brow:

Police have used the system, in co-operation with OnStar, to monitor the conversations of vehicle occupants. However, in certain states they, the police, are no longer allowed to do this because the monitoring interferes with the operation of the OnStar system as a whole and people pay for the ENTIRE service. We can't have the police seizing services from folks without due process, can we?

I'm beginning to think it depends on whether or not a persons mind is free of Ritalin & SSRI type DRUGS. In fact, wasn't that the suggestion of an earlier poster? (i.e. since I was able to visualize this new paradigm in advance with such sterling clarity, I needed to "get on the drugs", presumably to cloud my thought process.)

It's interesting that these "trials" are taking place in the UK where LAW-ABIDING citizens have been disarmed. It's gonna be easy pickins for the OUTLAW tweekers with laptops to throttle-down a mark's car, blow the drivers brains out with an OUTLAW sidearm, then jack their car. The cops will show up just in time to mop up the blood and make out a report.

We are already in 1884 here in the SF area. The inspector's cars also are equipped with the same satellite tracking. These devices track the vehicle, can listen to it, activate the emergency systems, and the camera can film and tag any passenger violation while summoning the police. Any heavy decelleration event is tracked and marked on the onbaord computer. When the bus hits the fueling island all events are downloaded to the main computer. Unless the electrical or computer goes down the vehicle is always being tracked. The drivers hated the idea, but now they are used to big brother.

I think we will all be taxed for our portion of the pod system. You summon a pod with your wrist tracking computer and the pod waits outside your home. The pod then drives you to your destination with no messy and erratic human input.

Since all pleasure will be derived in a government controlled pleasure center this should not interfere with daily life.

It shouldn't be too difficult to locate a specialty spring distributor and match-up a spring with 50% increase in tension, then swap the spring.

Indeed it shouldn't. However, the Subaru tech at the dealer told me there ain't nothing can be done 'til bunches of people complain and they git out one of them paper things what Subaru gives to the boys when lots o' folks fuss about stuff.

I'm certainly not getting down there and messing with the spring. I can imagine the weight of the pedal 'flooring' the throttle as the spring slips/breaks... Hey! Wait a minute! Maybe that's the idea: remove the spring and put my foot UNDER the pedal. Hmmmm....

Juan

• 1 month later...

Detroit News 8/26/05

'BLACK BOXES' KEEP EYE ON BAD DRIVERS

http://www.detnews.com/2005/commuting/0508/26/A01-294070.htm

Oakland court program, first of its kind, monitors moves of repeat traffic offenders.

----------------------------------------------

"The black box tracks how fast a car accelerates and how hard drivers slam on the brakes. IT RECORDS WHETHER THE DRIVERS GO AROUND A CORNER TOO FAST. The devices ultimately will be outfitted with equipment so they can be tracked by satellite. All of that information is retrieved every month and sent to the driver's probation officer."

Blitz, you and I are, once again, in agreement that the government is way too "monitoring happy" and wanting way too much control over the actions of the citizenry. I mean, isn't that what the "evil communists" were doing back in the '50s? So now we emulate them. The trend only gets more disturbing as time goes on. Those that are in power will always tend to use every means at thier disposal to remain in power. BTW, it is a sad comment on the country that your signatures ring so true. Am I crazy for seeing the same things that you do? No, it is because I grew up just outside of the city limits of the capital of this country, and saw a lot of this even as I was growing up. The government is not fit to have the power to tell the people how to act, how to think, what to believe, how to live thier lives (how to vote). . .

Blitz, you and I are, once again, in agreement that the government is way too "monitoring happy" and wanting way too much control over the actions of the citizenry. I mean, isn't that what the "evil communists" were doing back in the '50s? So now we emulate them. The trend only gets more disturbing as time goes on. Those that are in power will always tend to use every means at thier disposal to remain in power. BTW, it is a sad comment on the country that your signatures ring so true. Am I crazy for seeing the same things that you do? No, it is because I grew up just outside of the city limits of the capital of this country, and saw a lot of this even as I was growing up. The government is not fit to have the power to tell the people how to act, how to think, what to believe, how to live thier lives (how to vote). . .

I had a conspiratorial awakening a few years back. No, not some bogus, self-righteous religious awakening or anything ...screw that, but rather a primal, "Oh S**t!" instinctive awakening. Pure animal survival-instinct in it's finest form.

I now see the hidden power structure that works silently behind the scenes, creating terror for the purpose of installing global tyranny (hint: follow the BIG money). I have this dream that a critical-mass of consciousness will grab hold as more people arrive at the same state of horror that I have. :eek:

I know my cynical nature grates on peoples nerves, and I'm sorry for that. It's one of my many shortcomings, so I try not to let it get in the way of prodding folks into actually researching the validity of some of the salty quotes that comprise my sig line. I really want people's eyes to bug out a little when they read them, because the quotes shed a lot of light. :headbang:

my advice...buy up every old car you can and sell them off when the governement requires all new cars to have monitoring systems.....

everyone will want an old one that isnt required.....and then 5 years later they will all be required....-0)

As for the whole we track absolutely every move you make by satellite and wireless....NEVER happen...If you understand the amount of data for 260million drivers that would create it is an Information Nightmare as far as throughput goes...thats why it will stay the "black box" type for quite some time as it can record all data and there are no out of service areas......ie out of wireless area or anywhere inside where satellite cannot track....ever used a GPS inside?? doesnt work....

Now that said there is a type of Sat tracking that tanks use that is exact by inches even under speedy movement....but its tens of thousands of dollars....

the whole idea is a shaky technology...but as far as it has come it does make me what to go live in the woods in idaho...

Cory

I really want people's eyes to bug out a little when they read them, because the quotes shed a lot of light. :headbang:

Well, my eyes do not bug out as I have a lifetime of experience of seeing through the facade that the government tries to pull over our eyes. . .

I look past the inital appearances of everything as a defense mechanism. That is also why I do not buy a car for pretty looks, but for great engineering (guess why I love my Subaru). Pretty is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not my first priority

• 3 months later...
As for the whole we track absolutely every move you make by satellite and wireless....NEVER happen...If you understand the amount of data for 260million drivers that would create it is an Information Nightmare as far as throughput goes...thats why it will stay the "black box" type for quite some time as it can record all data and there are no out of service areas......ie out of wireless area or anywhere inside where satellite cannot track....ever used a GPS inside?? doesnt work....
"Trust federal bureaucrats to take a good idea and transform it into a frightening proposal to track Americans wherever they drive."

http://news.com.com/E-tracking,%20coming%20to%20a%20DMV%20near%20you/2010-1071_3-5980979.html

Here in NY they passed a law that forces the car mfg and rental agencies to tell you up front that there is a black box in the car that moonitors your driving habits. Thye used to bury it in the fine print.

As far as technically the numbers being too large to handle. There is already a massive experimnet going on in this area, its called the trucking industry. The trucking industry does it by satalite, and they can keep track of the truck, converstaions, and running parimiters of the ECU ( new deisels now have engine magmt computers). Eventually all the trucks (if you veleive the owners group) will go this way. i think onstar is cell phone based, and look how many cell phones are in this country. i dont think its a matter of too many numbers to put in the system, its just a matter of time to build a system to handle the numbers. ALso they can do data in bursts, and at no time are all cars going to be on at the same time.

i dont think its going to be law enforcement that drives this, but the insurance industry, so they can deny claims or raise rates depending upon how the car is driven.

nipper

Quote:

OnStar is ALWAYS on.

Not if it's been disabled. :brow:

Blitz,

So is possible that On-Star systems have been built into the newer cars, even though you may not have ordered it during the original sale? How do you locate/recognize, and disable such a system?

Have read articles on the web and hearing discussions on talk radio about the use of black boxes, RFID, GPS global tracking by government authorities is, to say the least, alarming.