Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advance Auto Radiator

I just got a new radiator from Advance Auto for my '84 Brat. This radiator has the 2 extra pipes on drivers side (for the trans cooler??). Mine is a manual. Could you just use a piece of hose to connect the 2 side pipes?? Or do they need to be soldered closed?? Also there is a treaded plastic plug on the passenger side (not the fan sensor, it faces right) that my old radiator does not have. Can the plug stay??

oh thats for the super coolant or the ice water port as we like to call it or it can be used as a water heater to heat your coffee or soup or maybe hot water for a shower all bull isht aside it dosent do anything on a manual trans no need to do anything with them

Yep. Most aftermarket radiators come with the transmission cooler built in. That drastically reduces manufacturing costs....

Looks like Advance carries Vista-pro Radiators. Here's the page on that one:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=63742&cc=1267725

As you'll see there: "Note: If you have a Manual Transmission vehicle you may be surprised to find a Transmission Oil Cooler integrated into your radiator. This does not mean the radiator is incorrect or that it will leak. The Transmission Oil Cooler is sealed off from the main radiator core and will not leak if left unconnected."

I know Spectra ones come with a flyer and/or sticker on the box saying the same...

You will need to swap your fan switch in place of the plug. That plug does go into the cooling system, which is under pressure, and that plastic plug will not hold up.