Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 legacy wagon, 2.2, Automatic.

My drver seat is worn out,,, not very comfortable..  

Can anyone tell me what years and models are compatable with my 96?

Do impreza seats work?

Im going to try to find some in a junk yard, would like to know before I go looking.

Hi, 

The easiest plug-n-play are the '90-'99 Seats from any Legacy model....even the Outback. I 'think' the '00-'04 may fit also, but not 100%.

You'll need to keep your existing buckles.

The '92-'07 Impreza seats will bolt in, but you may sit higher than you like. I know on the '02-'07 WRX models the seats are a good 1-2" higher and even w/the height adjustment (driver's side only) @ the lowest setting they're too high for many.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1

So front seats are not side specific?  I never thought of that!  Great idea, Larry--thanks!

They are not interchangeable..........as seat belt receptacle is built into the seat. What can be done is to take the foam stuffings from a passenger seat, and install into the driver's seat to make that seat comfortable again.

Seat belt receptacles are NEVER built into the seat.  But there would be almost no room for the reclining lever if the seats were reversed.

Way back in the old days, the few cars that had bucket seats did not have reclining backs so people used to swap them to even out the wear.  But it would be such a PITA to do that today that swapping the foam and covers is the only practical way.  Just because something can be done (with enough effort) doesn't mean that it should be done.

If the seats can't be separated from their tracks, then they cannot be swapped on some cases because the tracks aren't symmetrical.

Edited by keith3267

So today I went to the local Junkyard.  I found they have a 98 outback wagon.  I have the 96 non outback version.

The seat in it is 5 x better than mine is,,  it was oozing support and plush   lol   They want 35 so I told them I would be back Monday to get it.

Anyone think it will be a problem being too high or anything? 

It does have this extra manual seat height adjustment on the side of the seat.   My 96 doesn't have that.

I have swapped in seats into my 99 OBW with seats from a yard. It is simply an unbolt and rebolt. Suggest you wrap duck tape around the seat "feet" on taking out the old, putting in the new. Without the legs taped, it is very easy to scratch the car body paint. It also helps to flip the seat back forward to make the seat fold up into a smaller package to exit/enter the car.