Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rodent stank removal heater core.

So I began working on my 88gl ea82 coupe, to use as my new winter beater, Its been sitting for the last year waiting its turn.

Unfortunately the mice and other woodland creatures turned my heating system into low income housing.  I have replaced the blower, and chucked the A/C unit.  I have cleaned the main flap door on top of the heater core (passengers side), but I can't get to the other flap door (drivers side).  I have blown out the entire system w/ compressed air. 

Any ideas of cleaners to spray to get the stank off of the drivers side flap.  Since I cant get my hand in there I was thinking of spraying can of Kills Primer, or some other paint.  

I have a spare heater core unit, just looking for ideas to avoid having to take the whole dash out. 

Well, when I had that problem with my 87. I disassembled the entire xash,heater system, and all. Washed with bleach. One error - also, clean out the passages in the body that bring in air. And put hardware cloth in place to stop future residents.

Yeah, we have that here, but it's called Miracle Pet and comes in a red spray bottle. A+ sh*t. We use it a lot because of the cats. Turn the fan on high and first spray some Clorox cleaner with bleach in the air inlet with the doors open. Switch through vent modes and spray during each switch. This will more or less 'clean' spots you cant reach. Let it sit overnight and dry out, then do the same thing with the Miracle Pet but use liberal amounts. Short of tearing everything out and wiping it down with Clorox, this is your best bet.

ozone generator.

run it overnight in the vehicle.

run it for an hour or so in the vehicle with the HVAC on and all matts removed.

do not get in the vehicle when the ozone generator has been running in it.

tool equipment rental places have them.

can even be rented on line - they ship and then you ship it back.

hotels and fire departments typically have them.