Ultimate Subaru Message Board

friend of mine is looking for a nice WRX on a cheap Impreza budget. I found a gorgeous 2003 WRX with some aftermarkets and a little over 100k miles for $13k but i kno it would be a stretch to finance being so old.. I got her thinking on just buying a manual Impreza and we will slowly turn it into a tribute WRX as funding comes around. She's not sold on that totally. She wants the turbo even tho she says she's gonna baby it. I'm thinking of putting a turbo engine together using take off WRX parts and limit boost to 5-8 psi, just enough to make it fun.. But I don't know about engine management.

I know if i was doing a 90s Impreza, I would use an EJ 22e with 25D heads or an EJ251 with the 25D heads if the compression would end up right with piston selection. I have a complete EJ25d engine so I have the heads. I even know where a mid 90s Impreza is that is solid but parked non running

which way should I suggest to go with this. I kno the 90s would need a piggy back ecu, but that's it.

we were talking last night and, she's kinda got me convinced that starting with an Impreza is not the best idea. She found a couple nice ones with blown motors from turbo issues. She doesn't want to put more in it than she can buy one for, which makes sense. But how much could building a new engine cost? Could an NA engine run in a wrx so she had something to drive who turbo motor is built? She's open to the ones needing work, but ones complete that she likes are in the 04-6 range and 13-20k and most are far from Stock

Edited by matt167

OK, I'm confused.

IF someone wants a 'project' there are  lots of different ways to go. One of the worst is to try to add a turbo to an NA engine. For a small amount of boost, I'd add a supercharger before a turbo.

IF there is financing involved, just get a new WRX. Used ones that haven't been reamed-out by a kid are extremely rare and, as you said, financing may be difficult.

An often overlooked car is the turbo Forester . less likely to have been abused by a teenager. Very peppy.

Swaps of turbo engines/drivetrains from the junkyard into other Subaru models are done but, it definitely is not a trivial project. ECU and wiring harness issues alone are challenging.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

the new WRX is way out of her price range. I was originally thinking sensibly that a $5-7k Impreza could be bought, driven and upgraded, but the cost of building a turbo. motor and making it run would be cost prohibitive. There is financing involved, but even a non running car or one that needs work can be financed as long as title is good. I was thinking buy the $5k wrx, get $3k extra financed and she would have a nice wrx. That's if an engine can be done for $2-3k.

I asked about a forester xt but she does not like suv type vehicles... I guess she just might have to find the unmolested wrx and get the cash/ financing. The project part came with an idea of saving money

Ok, you can put any motor in any impreza, providing you have all the right parts.  I'll give you an example:

A local subie club member has a '95 Impreza Coupe.  What he did was swap in an EJ20 Turbo Motor from a  newere ('00+) STI.  He picked up the entire wrecked car though.  He swapped the motor, transmission, dash, and ECU (ECU being the biggest thing).  

I think he also swapped the entire interior.  

It sounds like reality check time. You can probably find a basketcase WRX in your price range needing a motor or trans because some yahoo destroyed it being mr. fast and furious. But usually those cars have been thoroughly abused and will have many more problems down the line. Turbos add extra wear, tear cost and hassle. What's her need for it? if finances are a concern it's not the time to be buying a money pit just because you want to go faster and make PSHAW! sounds between hard gear shifts. Getting a good used Impreza that she can drive while she saves for what she really wants may be a wiser way to go  Buy a solid driver and keep it clean or get one in need of a little repair and drive it while making it nicer to increase it's value. Sell it when you have the extra $$$ saved and use the car money and the saved money to buy a nice WRX that hasn't been thrashed all over for someone showing off. 

Sounds like you're stretching to get to something that is not likely to end well. If a killer deal comes along go for it. But if a person has abused a car so far as to destroy the motor on a car that young, you can bank on other things being ready to quit as well. Subarus are reliable cars but even they don't stand up to the use of the abusive and ignorant crowd that seems so fond of the WRXs.

Fast, Reliable and Cheap - You can have any two of those.

• Like 1

her first car was an Audi A4 Quattro so, she's stuck on a turbo. Even tho the quattro would be equivlant to a mid 90s Lego turbo in hp terms. I found a one owner stock adult owned 04 for $16k with 70k miles

I know that an RS with a nice exhaust burble would satisfy her, but she doesn't know it.. She plans on driving like a grandma with it but wants something to be proud of. Kind of the same reason I bought a 2011 F250 diesel. Its what I wanted so I found a way to get one

Honestly, her wants sound similar to mine. I have a BUILT 02 WRX(V7 EJ07 on steroids swap) that I'm still breaking in. I had an above average set up before the swap and  I've always driven like a 90s Geo Metro. Every now and then, when there is next to no traffic or late at night and safe to do so, I get on it and have fun. I don't see anything wrong with having that umph but not always utilizing it. Mind you, as others have suggested, it is not a very cheap project. Period. Mine is one of the easier ones. I had to get a custom harness and use a JDM ecu to add to my existing to utilize my AVCS...Other than that, it was pretty much plug and play.. This being a very popular, and again relatively easy swap, wasn't cheap. Without giving a dollar amount, it was more than a decent used WRX. In fact, over the years I've invest $30k EASY into this car. That includes the 8 I paid for it years ago and the various turbos, suspension set ups, exhaust, literally anything you can think of that I've gone through or broken or failed etc.

The key thing here is how much she has to work with. If she has 13k... Buy a newer WRX or STI, as that's enough down payment for almost anything and maybe you'll get one that hasn't been molested.

If she only have 5-6, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, ALMOST any WRX you find that cheap...crap. Period.

If this is something that'll truly be a project, and there is no real timeline and you can progressively put money into, I say buy a GC8 and go from there. You can find a non RS in decent enough body condition to work with for $600-2000. I had a 97 coupe that I intended on doing just that...til' it was stolen a few years ago( yes, they took the beater and left the beast lol). Those are the lightest impezas out there, and when done up, best looking ones too. I actually have EVERY item needed for the swap in my shed, except the harnesses. I do intend on buying a 98 RS and doing this same thing hopefully by next summer. It's not easy, especially if you cant read wiring diagrams. Given I have the parts, I expect to pay $2k+ in machine shop work-pistons-gaskets-seals-etc, pads and rotors, misc things that I didn't know needed to be replaced or broken/stripped bolts.

Sorry for the lengthy and boring post. The moral of the story is, ultimately only she can say whats best for her. If there is 0 intention to really push her car, I personally wouldn't see the point..even I get on it a few times a week! Hope this helped in some way. I also hope I didn't come across as an rump roast..

Don't buy a used WRX that is out of warranty, is a 5-speed, or is modified, unless you have the $$ to repair it.

$13K for a '03 is @ least $3K too much...even in my Subaru NW 'hood.

Driving an Audi she must know about repairs?? An older WRX isn't much better, just a bit cheaper to fix.

No offense, but I'd just step away from this 'deal' and let her do her own thing.  Tell her to go test drive a few cars - w/out her purse/wallet/etc (just ID) - and THEN think about it.

GL,

Td

• Like 1

.I'm trying to get her to test drive an Impreza, since $13k would go a long ways. She has never driven an Impreza but regularly drives a 2010 legacy that she borrows from her mom. Whatever she gets has to be a 5spd, her requirements since she looks past any auto wrx. I think an Impreza would treat her well for many years. She wants me to help her look, since I know how to work on subarus. Older ones at least.

Edited by matt167

.I'm trying to get her to test drive an Impreza, since $13k would go a long ways. She has never driven an Impreza but regularly drives a 2010 legacy that she borrows from her mom. Whatever she gets has to be a 5spd, her requirements since she looks past any auto wrx. I think an Impreza would treat her well for many years. She wants me to help her look, since I know how to work on subarus. Older ones at least.

*****She wants me to help her look,*****

recipe for disaster.

At least tell her she needs to pay for a 3rd party pre-purchase inspection. That should help 'deflect' blame from you when something breaks. Might save your friendship.

I've got her convinced that she needs to find one that is stock. A tough task I know. I found her one, a 2002. Has higher miles but is stock one owner. Best of all is its serviced at dealer only and he will provide documentation. And the dealer he uses is not a long distance from hi, so I told her that if it checks out by me, then we test drive it down to the dealer and give them $100 to look it over for an hr... I can at least save her $100 by spotting obvious red flags. I have a good scanner so I can check codes and live data. Even force test emissions stuff.

Edited by matt167

now an off topic question. What is a mid 90s Impreza worth, not running and sitting a little less than a yr. Solid and looks to have brand new exhaust. Something happened to it and owner said it was 'junk'. It was not wrecked. I'm in a Subaru mood now and could use a commuter. I have the ej25d from my old 99 legacy but, the local junkyard is not short on old Subaru engine ad trans. I'm thinking a ej251 with 25d heads, and a 5 speed.

I kno car is auto so do I need Impreza pedals or will legacy pedals and setup work? I kno the ecu needs a jumper for the auto manual swap

owner is my neighbor and I wad thinking $200 offer

Edited by matt167

^Dude - you HiJacked your own thread.

Car's worth depends....I paid $700 for a '95 LX wagon that was run out of oil and had been sitting for a year. Sold for $2500 w/a newer engine a year later.

Go read up on RS25.com. They have this covered.

TD

• 3 months later...

bringing this back to top. She found one, we went and looked and its diamond in the rough. Solid rust free car from PA, bone stock. Just has a bov noisemaker and aftermarket wheels. 146k and a new clutch. Owner bought it to repaint and keep for himself but found one he liked better.. Its hello kitty pink, so this car is also dirt cheap. Its an 04 2.0l 5spd.. The trans is tight with no noises, clutch feels great, suspensions responsive.. Passed everything I looked for, so we will go for this one and then ill go thru it more when she gets it home. New brakes, oil change and that kind of thing..

Edited by matt167

Pink car fell thru. it had title issues that a bank would not sign a check to ( out of state title not in actual owners name ). She was really upset so I took off work yesterday and we just kinda drove downstate while checking CL and found an absolute GEM.. a Bone stock 2004 WRX. stock exhaust, rims, intake. no tuner ect. 140k miles and drives like brand new, no rust and well kept. New brakes, VC gaskets ect.. also a 2 owner car... It also had a lot of parts that were missing on the other that I did not know of..  So were in agreement that shes gonna get dirty and were gonna build it. It's the perfect car. we pick it up thurs