Ultimate Subaru Message Board

0w20 synthetic oil in 2007 impreza

My daughter just bought a 2007 Impreza  2.5 with 78000 miles on a replaced engine installed by the Subaru dealership . The replacement engine was serviced with new fluids etc. The salesman told me they now use the 0-20 oil in all their cars even though the manual call for 5-30 I believe. They offer a free 5000 mile oil change (future) as well. Does this make sense or should She follow the manual instead of the dealership advice? 

If it were me I would use 10-30 in the winter and 10-40 in the summer. This new zero weight oil (in my opinion) Is nothing but a way to wear out a motor faster. In my old fashioned understanding of these things, 10-30 means 10 weight oil with the protecting properties of 30 weight...It was designed for fuel injected overhead cam cars that start and run at 2000 rpm and NEED that oil at the top of the motor instantly.  Well if that's true then 0-20 sounds like maybe it has zero weight ??? and protects like a 20 weight ??? sounds like factory bull sxxt to me. A subi is a flat boxer motor and has no need of ZERO weight oil !!! What a rip off. For years i refused to use the multi weight oil and stuck with straight 30 weight. I still use straight 30 in the summer in my older subi but will run 10-30 in the winter. If a car has an overhead cam then multi weight oil is the thing to use. 

• Like 2

5W-30.Still do a first Oil change after break-in. In my 2005 I use 10w-40. The engien war replaced over a year ago with a Subaru rebuild.

Check the oil regularly do not be alarmed if it uses some for the first 5K miles.

I change mine every 5K miles as it is just easier to remember.

The 0W oil is very expensive.

• Like 1

People really need to research how multi grade oils actually work. The first number stands for the viscosity of the oil when it's dead cold, the second number refers to the oils viscosity at operating temperature. And contrary to popular folklore, the W in 0w/20 or 5W/30 stands for Weather and not weight. A really good place to learn about oils is bobistheoilguy.com

• Like 3

I would have never thought that anyone would still use a straight 30. When I was a kid a couple of years ago all the old timers said only a fool would put that 10w-30 stuff in their car when straight weights had worked for years. To answer your question though I would stick with 5w-30, that is what I thought the 2.5l was spec for. Many newer vehicles have rolled over the 200k mark running the newer light weight oils. So conspiracy theories do not hold much weight with me. All oils are too thick at start up to protect like we wish they could. So there is no harm in using a lower W weight, generally only benefits such as easier starting in frigid cold weather and faster lube times to critical parts at start up. All most all Ow oils are group IV are better synthetic and really perform pretty good over the long haul. Surprised they would give those oil changes away for free. Time and technology moves on!!

Edited by bratman2
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info and posts regarding this, I guess being old school 10-40 oil mentality I was reluctant to look at the whole picture of synthetics lubricating better than conventional oils so the low viscosity numbers did concern me. My wifes 2013 camry also calls for and has 0-20 in it but I didn't quite feel comfortable with the 0-20 in a 2007 that called for 5-30. I will probably request 5-30 synthetic from the dealership for the free change and stick to that since it's what Subaru calls for. Thanks again for all the input