Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 brat feels like its going down a washboard road at 70, while going around 2 mph.

I did my research and, yes, ea82 ujoints will be a challenge.    I am considering a driveline shop in Portland ... but there's no fun in that.   

My boy's car was easy.   Remove rear driveshaft.   Pull rear driveshaft from $100 parts car (she keeps giving, and giving and giving).  Install new old driveshaft.

But now, I want a replacement spare for my '85 ea82 wagon.   So I gotta fix the broken one.   Thanks, Dad !!!

Tom, can I buy any ujoint for the ea82 ... or is it a special ujoint for replacing staked oem's?

This happened to my gl recently. I took the drive shaft out and the front u joint was very stiff. I used a ton of pb blaster and worked out all the dirt, the whole time rotating the joint through its movements. A bunch of mud and dry dirt came out of the joint. It steadily got more and more loose and eventually it felt fine. Put it back in the car, shaking gone.

This happened to my gl recently. I took the drive shaft out and the front u joint was very stiff. I used a ton of pb blaster and worked out all the dirt, the whole time rotating the joint through its movements. A bunch of mud and dry dirt came out of the joint. It steadily got more and more loose and eventually it felt fine. Put it back in the car, shaking gone.

This is exactly what it would seem like. Lots of dirt lots of mud, very few washes.  Will any ol u joint work? Got some out in the old garage from back when we had a beat up f150