Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How far past 105k have you ever gone (T belt replacement)

Okay...just a random question running thru my mind...

How far past the 105k service mark have you gone with a timing belt?

Personally, I do not like tempting fate with an interference engine so, fear rules me...I try

to be religious about it

On am interference engine I don't usually let them get anywhere close to 105k, the biggest cause of belt failure is one of the idlers chucking a bearing. I try to do them in the 75-80k range or less, and usually I find an idler with more play than it should have. When I did my mom's 04 outback's belt last year it had about 60k on the job according to paperwork from the PO and it was really close to loosing the bearing in the cogged idler by the water pump.

gentlemen,

Age and heat have as much to do with timing belt failure as mileage does. So if the car is ten years or older and only has 60 000 miles on it, say, it would well be adviseable to pull the timing belt cover, rotate the engine, and check the belt out.

My 25 year old 300zx has only 48 000 miles on it at present. Six years ago I pulled the timing cover, and after inspection, I changed it. Glad I did.

• Like 2

This isn't on a subaru, but on an older Nissan Pathfinder (VG30E) we have, the timing belt is suppose to be changed at 60,000 miles. We are probably at least at 120,000, probably more, right now. Yes it is an interference engine, although it can be changed to non interference. The Pathfinder isn't driven anymore, just started occasionally, so I'm not in a rush to change it anymore. I would give more exact mileage but the speedometer stopped working at some point, and we put a lot more miles on it. It has at least 250,000 if not 300,000. Great engine by the way, it runs smoother than almost any other car i've seen. It starts right up ever time, even after sitting for a year, without the gas being changed, and still idles perfectly. 

On the other hand, on my Subaru, with the EJ25D, I will replace as instructed. Already did it once with the head gasket, hoping not to it again with the head gasket. Its not hard to change anyway, so I would recommend changing it when recommend.

with my wrx, i think i went 115k before i was able to get the belt service. get the work done, they said everthing still looked good, but its probably still for the best that it was changed out anyway. i do trust the dealership that i go to, the service department people are actual subaru people, the service write knows her subarus an even drives one herself.

It's not something to even consider. Engines going over 110k miles + are in all actuality probably chain driven. If you drive 100k miles in a year on strictly highway cruising, it *might* be possible to go longer, but NOT worth it. My mom gave me her old 91' Geo Storm GSi around 2000 and it had either mid 50's or 63k, I can't remember. She never beat on it or anything. I was clueless about belts back then and was going into 2nd gear after pulling away from a stop and it quietly stalled. Thankfully it was non-interference and super-easy to work on after getting towed home.

Rubber belts typically will NOT last after a certain point. It's not an "If" situation either. It's a "when".