Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 Rear axle sourcing?

They are different to the front axels the cv cups are smaller as is the shaft.  they can be rebuilt which is what I have done to mine on my AU delivered brumby.

The only source of "new?" shafts I can find is this seller in Australia and they are for the "L" series.

As I understand it they won't fit the Brat/ Brumby

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-LEONE-L-SERIES-REAR-CV-DRIVE-SHAFT-/231778408454

Sorry I can't be much more help

TOONGA

I have found that using '82-'84 GL has got more listings than using same years for the BRAT, unless it is a BRAT specific part.

Best to use '84 as the latest listing when searching parts as the sites confuse the EA81's and EA82's with the years of '85 on.

Anyways, Rock Auto has the rears listed for '82-'84 GL's as A-1 Cardone # 607221, $61.79 + $45.00 core.

• Like 1

I also need a rear axle for my 86.  Rock Auto does not actually have any, for some reason they haven't removed the listing yet. I ended up ordering one from Axles Unlimited in Charlotte (for $170!!!) and after 2 weeks they sent me a front axle -_-.  I have been on the phone with them 5 times now, same thing every time "let me call our distributor," "I'll call you back," so definitely don't deal with them. 

CVJ Axles emailed me back, they have parts and can build one with a few days notice, but it will be about $150 shipped plus a $35 core.  I'll probably give in and order one tomorrow rather than wait on these Axles Unlimited jackasses.

BTW, the rear axles are symmetrical and female at both ends The front axle is male on one side, female on the other, and way bigger.

Edited by 1986Brat

I also need a rear axle for my 86.  Rock Auto does not actually have any, for some reason they haven't removed the listing yet. I ended up ordering one from Axles Unlimited in Charlotte (for $170!!!) and after 2 weeks they sent me a front axle -_-.  I have been on the phone with them 5 times now, same thing every time "let me call our distributor," "I'll call you back," so definitely don't deal with them. 

CVJ Axles emailed me back, they have parts and can build one with a few days notice, but it will be about $150 shipped plus a $35 core.  I'll probably give in and order one tomorrow rather than wait on these Axles Unlimited jackasses.

BTW, the rear axles are symmetrical and female at both ends The front axle is male on one side, female on the other, and way bigger.

$170 seems decent compared to the $760 and $940 I saw....

I have found that using '82-'84 GL has got more listings than using same years for the BRAT, unless it is a BRAT specific part.

Best to use '84 as the latest listing when searching parts as the sites confuse the EA81's and EA82's with the years of '85 on.

Anyways, Rock Auto has the rears listed for '82-'84 GL's as A-1 Cardone # 607221, $61.79 + $45.00 core.

Aaaaaaaaaand they're out of stock

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So if EA81 axles are so hard to find, what would it take to use EA82 rear axles? If it's as simple as changing to EA82 hubs then that seems like the way to go.

I'm in the process of putting an EA82 crossmember and front axles/suspension into my BRAT, partly because of the greater availability of replacement parts. I have a whole EA82 parts car sitting here...

Edited by musubk

From what I gather the hubs are the same, its the length that is the issue. The inner and outer DOJ's are the same though, so I guess I could just carry extra inner and outer races from an EA82 and hope I actually never break the shaft.