Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyal wont start need help plea!

so my 1993 loyale died on the freeway and i had to have towed to my parents house, amd have been trying to figure out the issue...

it is getting fuel, the battery is good, its getting spark, i checked the timing belts and still it wont start.

i did notice a small part located directly behind the thermostat that has a small tube going in to it that was broken. i took it to the auto part store and they could not seem to find out what it is. i also called a couple subaru mechanics and they could not tell me what it was either. if anyone can help me figure out what the part is or some other advice on what might be going on with my suby it would be so much help! i will post a picture of the part.  

post-61937-0-02280600-1455848054_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jman1991

That is called a purge valve silonide what it does I don't really know. i have had one of those break too.. but I never died...

i had mine die on the freeway once it sounded like the timing belts slipped misfiring etc.. it turned out to be the screw fell out of the rotor.

so my 1993 loyale died on the freeway

helps to know how it died. 

--Was it sudden ?  Possible electrical problem

--Did it do a hurt dance as it died ?  Possible fuel problem

--Smoke and noise ?  Possible mechanical problem

Check your computer for codes ? Possible environmental control problem

Does the engine turn over now ? 

--yes, Possible timing problem, check to distributor

--no, Possible battery / alternator problem

Edited by Dee2

It dose turn over Dee2.

And I took it down to the timing belts and made sure one cam was at 12 the other at 6 and the flywheel at top dead center. So the timing is all good.

When it died I had my music really loud so it's hard to say what the engine sounded like but it did sputter for a second before it died.

Naru I'll try that.

Also I realized I had a couple plugs connected that are not supposed to be.

One is green and the other white they are located by the windsheild wiper motor, it sounds like one is for setting the timing and the other for ecu codes.I hope that having them plugged in didn't mess up my car.

The plugs won't hurt anything. They are for reading codes from memory and clearing the memory. Just unhook them. I replace the solenoids with Toyota ones, since they don't break, or fail. +1 what others wrote regarding figuring out why it died.

I will put a link to my Subaru mods page when I get home tonight. The Toyota model is not critical. They were using them at the same time frame as the GLs, 1988 ish. I have the very same solenoids in my current EA82s, that is how long the have lasted. I did modify the mounting brackets, and replace the connectors to mate with the Subaru harness.

Thanks DaveT I'll check out that link when you post it.

Would this solenoid being broken keep my loyale from starting?

Depends which port is broken.

If it is the one going to the intake manifold,then quite possibly.

If not,then no.

I think(not 100% sure) the steel port is the one connected to the manifold,so probably not.

Well I pulled off the distributer cap for the second time for another look and it turns out that the set screw had completely fallen out! So even though it was spinning it was spinning freely and preventing the car from starting!

Problem solved! !! And also I found a working solenoid at pull and save and the engine ruins better than ever!

Thank you soooo much everyone!

Yep.. LOL I had the same problem.. thats why i suggested it..

I went as far as changing my belts even though everything lined up.. I was suprised myself when mine fell out.. even though I did a tune up 6 months earlier that was the last thing I thought was wrong.. :) AAAHYEeeeeee!

Well I pulled off the distributer cap for the second time for another look and it turns out that the set screw had completely fallen out! So even though it was spinning it was spinning freely and preventing the car from starting!

Problem solved! !! And also I found a working solenoid at pull and save and the engine ruins better than ever!

Thank you soooo much everyone!

Those screws are made of soft metal and can become stripped. You can order a replacement from Subaru for cheap. Why they made it with a set screw I will never understand. Even American cars of the 60's had snap on rotor designs.